Are you confused by the number of auto insurance choices in De Pere? You’re not alone. People have so many choices that it can be a ton of work to find lower rates.
It is always a good idea to compare rates at least once a year since rates change frequently. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price last year there may be better deals available now. You’ll find quite a bit of inaccurate information about auto insurance on the web, but with this article, you’re going to get the best ways to put money back in your pocket.
Locating cheaper auto insurance in De Pere can be fairly easy. If you are insured now or need new coverage, you will benefit by learning to find the best rates and still get good coverage. Wisconsin vehicle owners just need to learn the proper way to compare price quotes online.
Discounts are basically free money
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, buy you may qualify for discounts to cut the cost considerably. Some discounts apply automatically at the time of purchase, but a few need to be manually applied before you get the savings. If they aren’t giving you every credit available, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching to them before your current policy expires. The savings is around 10%.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed with a military unit could mean lower rates.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less compared to insuring an older model.
- Paperwork-free – Some insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks simply for signing on their website.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Using a seat belt and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts can save 10% or more off your medical payments premium.
Keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. So when it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way. Any amount of discount will help reduce your premiums.
To see a list of insurers with discount auto insurance rates in Wisconsin, click here.
Many Things Influence your Rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the different types of things that play a part in calculating auto insurance rates. Understanding what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that could result in better auto insurance rates.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Driving a car with an alarm system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder car theft.
- Your credit rating is important – Credit rating is a big factor in determining your rates. Consumers who have good credit tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with lower credit scores. Therefore, if your credit score can use some improvement, you could be paying less to insure your by improving your rating.
- Tickets mean higher rates – Just one citation may increase your cost forty percent or more. Drivers with clean records get better rates than bad drivers. Drivers who have serious citations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may need to file a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
- Performance level impacts rates – The performance of the car you own makes a huge difference in how high your rates are. Lower performance four cylinder passenger vehicles receive the most favorable rates, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- Liability coverage is cheap – Liability coverage is the protection when a jury decides you are liable for personal injury or accident damage. Liability insurance provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is quite affordable when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- High deductibles save money – Coverage for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your car from damage. Examples of covered claims would be a windshield shattered by a rock, vandalism, and windstorm damage. Deductibles for physical damage are the amount of money you are required to spend out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. The higher the amount you’re willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Proper usage rating affects rates – The higher the mileage driven in a year’s time the higher your rate. Almost all companies apply a rate based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars and trucks used primarily for pleasure use qualify for better rates compared to those used for work or business. Double check that your auto insurance declarations sheet shows the correct usage for each vehicle.
- Rates may be higher depending on your occupation – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Occupations like doctors, business owners and financial analysts have higher average rates because of job stress and lots of time spent at work. Conversely, jobs such as scientists, engineers and performers get better rates.
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When choosing adequate coverage, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Everyone’s needs are different.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- What are the best liability limits?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Does having multiple vehicles earn me a discount?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
If you’re not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
But buying car insurance online seems impersonal
A small number of people prefer to talk to a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. The best thing about comparing rates online is you can get the lowest rates but also keep your business local. Buying from small agencies is important particularly in De Pere.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to companies in De Pere who will compete for your business. There is no reason to leave your house since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. How cool is that?!
Choose the right car insurance agent
When searching for a local agent, there are a couple of different types of agents from which to choose. De Pere agents can either be captive or independent. While both can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s important to know how they differ because it can influence buying decisions.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents are not locked into one company so they have the ability to put coverage with multiple insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part.
When comparison shopping, it’s recommended you include price quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to ensure the widest selection of prices.Many can place coverage with smaller regional carriers who may have lower rates.
The following are De Pere independent agencies that are able to give competitive price quotes.
- Brian Van Dehey Insurance – 753 Reid St – De Pere, WI 54115 – (920) 347-9900
- Sherman Insurance Svc Inc – 1419 S 7th St – De Pere, WI 54115 – (920) 330-0136
This type of agents can only place business with one company like Liberty Mutual, Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Captives cannot place coverage with different providers so they have to upsell other benefits. Captive agencies are trained well on the products they sell which helps them compete with independent agents. Consumers often buy from captive agents partially due to high brand loyalty and the convenience of having all coverages with one company.
The following are captive agencies in De Pere who can help you get price quotes.
- American Family Insurance – 566 Redbird Cir # B – De Pere, WI 54115 – (920) 339-1009
To view a complete directory of captive agents in De Pere, visit this site.
Choosing a car insurance agent should depend on more than just the bottom line cost. Any agent should have no problem answering these questions:
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- How long has their agency been open in De Pere?
Once you have received answers to your satisfaction and locked in a price quote, you have narrowed it down to an auto insurance agent that can adequately provide auto insurance.
Do drivers who switch really save?
Wisconsin drivers get pounded daily by advertisements that promise big savings from the likes of Allstate and Progressive. All the ads say the same thing that you’ll save big if you switch your coverage to them.
How do they all say the same thing?
Insurance companies can use profiling for the type of customer that makes them money. An example of a preferred risk might be a mature driver, a clean driving record, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A customer who meets those qualifications receives the best rates and most likely will save when they switch companies.
Consumers who are not a match for the “perfect” profile must pay higher prices and ends up with business not being written. The ads state “people who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save money. That is how companies can advertise the savings.
This illustrates why it is so important to compare as many rates as you can. It’s not possible to predict which company will fit your personal profile best.
For more information
Additional auto insurance information is available on the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance website through this link. Wisconsin consumers can download brochures, find disaster information, learn about insurance regulations, and view a list of available companies.
Best coverage at the best price
In this article, we covered some good ideas how you can shop for auto insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more you quote, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may even discover the most savings is with some of the smallest insurance companies.
Low-cost auto insurance is definitely available from both online companies and with local De Pere insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some companies do not offer online price quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
Drivers switch companies for many reasons like delays in responding to claim requests, questionable increases in premium, extreme rates for teen drivers or even policy cancellation. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new company can be less work than you think.