Are you at wits end from scraping the payment together each month for car insurance? You have the same problem as many other Iowa drivers. You have multiple car insurance companies to choose from, and although it’s nice to have a choice, it can be more difficult to adequately compare rates.
Discount Independence car insurance quotes
Auto insurance companies don’t always publicize every disount available very clearly, so the list below details a few of the more well known and also the lesser-known savings tricks you should be using when you .
- Driver Education Discount – Reduce the cost of insurance for teen drivers by having them sucessfully take a drivers education course if offered at their school.
- Distant College Student Discount – College-age children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and won’t have access to an insured vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Buying coverage for multiple vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Senior Citizen Rates – If you’re over the age of 55, you may receive reduced rates.
- Drive Less and Save – Keeping the miles down may enable drivers to earn lower prices due to less chance of an accident.
A quick disclaimer, some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
A few of the larger companies and their offered discounts can be found below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include Steer Clear safe driver discount, good driver, Drive Safe & Save, driver’s education, multiple policy, and good student.
- Farmers Insurance offers discounts for youthful driver, teen driver, electronic funds transfer, good student, switch companies, and bundle discounts.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-policy, homeowner, online signing, good student, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, and online quote discount.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including driver training, multi-vehicle, seat belt use, military active duty, and anti-lock brakes.
- Auto-Owners Insurance has savings for mature driver, multiple vehicles, student away at school, multi-policy, and company car.
- The Hartford includes discounts for anti-theft, air bag, driver training, good student, bundle, defensive driver, and vehicle fuel type.
- Farm Bureau may include discounts for multi-vehicle, renewal discount, 55 and retired, good student, youthful driver, safe driver, and driver training.
- USAA has discounts for multi-vehicle, driver training, annual mileage, family discount, defensive driver, safe driver, and vehicle storage.
If you need , ask each insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply to policyholders in every state. To view car insurance companies who offer online car insurance quotes in Iowa, click here.
Four decisions that affect insurance costs
The best way to find cheaper car insurance is to take a look at a few of the rating criteria that aid in calculating the price you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables informed choices that could help you find lower rates.
The following are some of the most rate-impacting factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set your premiums.
- Extra policy coverages can cost a lot – Insurance policies have a lot of add-on coverages that you can buy if you don’t pay attention. Things like vanishing deductibles, high-cost glass coverage, and Farm Bureau memberships may not be needed and are just wasting money. These coverages may sound good when you first buy your policy, but if you don’t need them eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Drive less and save – The more you drive your car every year the more you’ll pay to insure it. Many insurance companies rate vehicles based upon how much you drive. Vehicles not used for work or commuting cost less to insure than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Ask your agent if your vehicle rating is showing the right rating data, because it can save money.
- Higher rates for car insurance lapses – Driving with no insurance is a misdemeanor and you may have a hard time finding new coverage because you let your insurance coverage expire. Not only will you pay higher rates, getting caught without coverage may earn you fines and jail time.
- Battle of the sexes – Over the last 30 years, statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. The data does not necessarily mean that women are better drivers. Males and females get in at-fault accidents in similar percentages, but males have accidents that have higher claims. In addition to higher claims, males also get higher numbers of serious violations like DUI and reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 are the most expensive to insure so it costs more to insure them.
Save 15 percent in 15 minutes? Is it for real?
Big name companies like State Farm, GEICO and Progressive regularly use television, radio, and online ads. All the ads tend to make the same promise about savings just by switching to them. How can each company lower your rates? It’s all in the numbers.
Most companies can use profiling for the type of insured that will generate a profit. For example, a profitable risk profile might be described as married and over the age of 30, owns their home, and has great credit. A customer getting a price quote that fits those parameters will probably get cheap premium rates and therefore will save a lot if they switch.
Potential insureds who are not a match for the “perfect” profile will probably be forced to pay higher premium rates which leads to the customer buying from someone else. The ad wording is “people who switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” save that much money. This is how companies can claim big savings.
This really drives home the point why you need to quote coverage with many companies. It’s just not possible to know which insurance companies will have the best auto insurance rates.
Much more information about car insurance in Iowa can be found on the found here. Consumers can read industry bulletins, view agent and company licensing information, report car insurance fraud, and find out industry alerts.
The following information may also be useful.
Car insurance savings summarized
As you , it’s a bad idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where someone dropped liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. The ultimate goal is to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price while still protecting your assets.
Lower-priced car insurance is attainable online and also from your neighborhood Independence agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers don’t offer the ability to get quotes online and many times these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.