Are you tired of paying out the nose to buy car insurance? You’re in the same situation as many other Idaho consumers. Online insurance companies like State Farm and GEICO continually bombard you with TV and radio ads and it is difficult to see past the geckos and flying pigs and take the time to shop coverage around.
Don’t pay full price with these discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always list every available discount very clearly, so here is a list some of the best known as well as the least known car insurance savings. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Homeowners Discount – Simply owning a home may trigger a car insurance policy discount because of the fact that having a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Sign Early and Save – A few companies offer discounts for switching policies prior to your current policy expiration. It can save you around 10%.
- Safe Drivers – Safe drivers may receive a discount up to 45% less than drivers with accidents.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being deployed with a military unit may qualify for rate reductions.
- No Claims – Claim-free drivers pay less when compared with drivers who are more careless.
A little note about advertised discounts, most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies don’t profit that way.
How to Get Cheap Car Insurance in Star, ID
Getting a cheaper price on insurance is actually quite simple. You just need to take time comparing price quotes online from several insurance companies. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
- The single most time-saving way to find the lowest comparison rates would be an industry-wide quote request form click here to open form in new window. This method eliminates the need for separate forms for every car insurance company. A single form will return price quotes from multiple companies.
- A slightly less efficient method to obtain and compare quotes online requires a trip to each company’s website to request a price quote. For instance, we’ll pretend you want rates from Auto-Owners, Esurance and American Family. To get each rate you have to take the time to go to each site and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular.
For a handy list of car insurance company links in Star, click here.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just be sure to compare apples-to-apples information for each price quote. If your comparisons have different deductibles it will be next to impossible to decipher which rate is best in Star.
Smart Buyers can Save Money
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with big savings.
- Lower deductibles cost more – Physical damage deductibles represent how much money you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be colliding with a building, collision with an animal, or theft. The more expense the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be.
- Never allow your policy to lapse – Driving with no insurance is illegal and car insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance expire. Not only will rates go up, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance might get you a revoked license or a big fine.
- Mature drivers pay less – Older drivers are more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and are safer drivers. Young drivers are known to be more careless behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- Don’t sacrifice liability coverage – Liability insurance will protect you if ever you are found liable for damages caused by your negligence. Liability insurance provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. This coverage is very inexpensive compared to physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Save money with special equipment – Owning a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention features such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers can help prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
- High performance equals high price – The type of vehicle you own makes a substantial difference in your rates. Economy passenger cars receive the most favorable rates, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
Your personal situation dictates your coverage
When buying the right insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a “best” method to buy coverage. Every insured’s situation is different so this has to be addressed. For example, these questions can aid in determining if your insurance needs would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Idaho minimum liability coverage?
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- Is my vehicle covered for smoke damage?
- Who is covered when they drive my vehicle?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- Do I need added coverage for expensive stereo equipment?
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- What should my uninsured motorist coverage limits be in Idaho?
- Where can I get insurance after a DUI in Idaho?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
If you’re not sure about those questions then you might want to talk to an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
Affordable insurance is out there
Lower-priced car insurance can be bought both online and with local Star insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best selection. Some insurance companies do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are too many instances where someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your aim should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.
Additional Idaho consumer information
Additional detailed information can be found at the Idaho Department of Insurance website. Consumers can read consumer alerts, download brochures, and file complaints about a company.
More related Star car insurance information: