No one likes paying for auto insurance, especially knowing the cost is way too high.
Online insurance companies like Geico, Progressive and Allstate all claim big savings with fancy advertisements and it is difficult to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and do the work needed to find the best deal.
It’s a good idea to price shop coverage quite often because rates are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Just because you had the best rates two years ago there may be better deals available now. Starting right now, forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because you’re going to learn the best way to find cheap car insurance in Sacramento.
If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will most likely be able to save some money using these tips. Finding the best rates in Sacramento is easy if you know what you’re doing. Nevertheless, California car owners do need to learn the way insurance companies market on the web and take advantage of how the system works.
Don’t overlook these discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but discounts can save money and there are some available to help bring down the price. Most are applied when you complete an application, but lesser-known reductions have to be inquired about prior to receiving the credit.
- Federal Government Employee – Simply working for the federal government can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- Discount for New Cars – Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and will save you 10% or more.
- 55 and Retired – If you’re over the age of 55, you may receive a discount up to 10%.
- Early Signing – Some insurance companies reward drivers for buying a policy prior to your current policy expiring. This can save 10% or more.
- Good Student – Performing well in school can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Claim Free – Claim-free drivers pay less as compared to frequent claim filers.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most credits do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But all discounts will help reduce your premiums.
Save $495 a year. For real?
Progressive, Geico, Allstate and State Farm regularly use ads on television and other media. All the companies make the same claim that you can save if you move your policy. But how can every company make almost identical claims? It’s all in the numbers.
Different companies can use profiling for the driver that is profitable for them. An example of a preferred risk could be over the age of 50, insures multiple vehicles, and has a short commute. Any new insured who matches those parameters will get very good rates and as a result will probably save quite a bit of money when switching.
Potential insureds who fall outside this ideal profile must pay more money which leads to business not being written. The ad wording is “customers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that kind of money. That’s why companies can advertise the way they do.
This illustrates why drivers should quote coverage with many companies. You cannot predict the company that will have the lowest rates.
Much more information about auto insurance in California can be read on the website for the California Department of Insurance. Click here for link. Consumers can file complaints about a company, get help finding coverage, and discover disciplinary actions.
And the best car insurance company is…
The cheapest auto insurance is attainable from both online companies in addition to many Sacramento insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers do not provide online price quotes and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.
We just presented a lot of ways to get a better price on auto insurance. The key thing to remember is the more you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the lowest premiums are with a small mutual company. Smaller companies may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive or Geico.