Buying affordable Carmel auto insurance online can seem to be difficult for consumers not familiar with comparing rates online. With a ridiculous number of companies in the marketplace, how can you have a chance to compare every one to find the best available price?
It is always a good idea to compare rates once or twice a year since rates are adjusted regularly by insurance companies. Even if you think you had the best rates two years ago there may be better deals available now. Forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because I’m going to let you in on the secrets to the best way to eliminate unnecessary coverages and save money.
Good Decisions Result in Lower Rates
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that help determine the rates you pay for auto insurance. Having a good understanding of what determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
- Pay less if you’re married – Having a spouse helps lower the price on your policy. Having a significant other is viewed as being more responsible and it’s statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- The type of vehicle makes a difference – The performance level of the vehicle you are insuring makes a big difference in how high your rates are. The lowest base rates are generally reserved for low performance passenger vehicles, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Choose a safe vehicle and save – Vehicles with good safety scores tend to have better insurance rates. These vehicles reduce injuries and lower injury rates translates into savings for insurance companies and lower rates for you.
- Don’t cancel a policy without a new one in place – Driving your car without having proper coverage can get your license suspended and auto insurance companies will penalize you for letting your insurance expire. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage might get you a license revocation or jail time.
- The more you drive the more you pay – Driving more miles each year the higher your rates will be. The majority of insurers charge to insure your cars based on how the vehicle is used. Vehicles that are left in the garage receive lower rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Verify your auto insurance coverage properly reflects the proper vehicle usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Careful drivers pay lower rates – Careful drivers receive lower rates compared to drivers with tickets. Even one speeding ticket can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who have flagrant citations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state motor vehicle department in order to keep their license.
- Don’t get talked into coverage you don’t need – There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that you can get tricked into buying on your policy. Things like vanishing deductibles, accidental death and additional equipment coverage may be costing you every month. These coverages may sound good when you first buy your policy, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
Be sure to get all your discounts
Auto insurance companies do not list all available discounts in a way that’s easy to find, so we took the time to find some of the best known and the more hidden ways to save on auto insurance. If you aren’t receiving every discount possible, you are throwing money away.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Select companies give a discount for switching to them before your current policy expires. The savings is around 10%.
- Accident Forgiveness – A handful of insurance companies permit an accident before hitting you with a surcharge if your claims history is clear prior to the accident.
- Defensive Driver – Completing a driver safety course could save 5% or more if you qualify.
- Resident Student – Children who attend school more than 100 miles from home without a vehicle on campus may be able to be covered for less.
- Paperwork-free – Certain companies give back up to $50 simply for signing on their website.
- Own a Home – Owning a house in Carmel can save you money because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
- Good Student Discount – Getting good grades can get you a discount of up to 25%. The discount lasts up to age 25.
- Multi-car Discount – Insuring more than one vehicle on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Anti-theft and alarm systems help deter theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Keeping the miles down could qualify for a substantially lower rate.
It’s important to note that most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
For a list of providers with the best auto insurance discounts in Carmel, click here.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
When buying the best auto insurance coverage, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that might point out if your insurance needs may require specific advice.
- Do no-fault laws apply in Indiana?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can provide invaluable advice.
More detailed Indiana auto insurance information can be read at the Indiana Department of Insurance website. Indiana drivers can view a list of available companies, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, learn about insurance regulations, and file complaints about a company.
Buy online or local, you save
While you’re price shopping online, make sure you don’t reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many situations where consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later that it was a big error on their part. Your strategy should be to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
We just showed you some good ideas how to shop for auto insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the best price on auto insurance is with an unexpected company.
Low-cost auto insurance is available on the web in addition to many Carmel insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies do not provide online price quotes and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.