I can’t think of a single person who cherishes buying auto insurance, especially when the price is too high.
Big companies like Allstate and Progressive all claim big savings with advertising and consumers find it hard to ignore the propoganda and do the work needed to find the best deal.
If you currently have car insurance, you stand a good chance to be able to cut costs considerably using these techniques. Buying car insurance in Rockland is quite easy. But Maine vehicle owners must learn the methods companies use to price insurance differently because it can help you find the best coverage.
How much can you save with discounts?
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there could be available discounts to cut the cost considerably. Most are applied when you get a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be inquired about prior to getting the savings.
- Own a Home – Being a homeowner can help you save on auto insurance because maintaining a house shows financial diligence.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Low mileage vehicles can earn better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Discount for New Cars – Adding a new car to your policy can be considerably cheaper due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Memberships – Affiliation with a professional or civic organization is a good way to get lower rates on your policy.
- Use Seat Belts – Requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could save 15% off your medical payments premium.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Senior Citizens – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for reduced rates.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying insurance for multiple vehicles on one policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Bundle and Save – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one insurance company you will save at least 10% off all policies.
A little note about advertised discounts, some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Most cut specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates it’s possible to get free car insurance, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any qualifying discounts will bring down your overall premium however.
Comprehensive Rockland Auto Insurance Comparison Quotes
When shopping for auto insurance there are multiple ways of comparing rate quotes from auto insurance companies in your area. The recommended way to find the cheapest insurance rates is to perform an online rate comparison. This can be accomplished in several different ways.
- The first (and easiest) way to get quotes would be an industry-wide quote request form click here to open form in new window. This type of form saves time by eliminating repetitive form entry to each individual auto insurance company. In just a few minutes this one form will get you price quotes from many national carriers.
- A different way to get comparison quotes requires a visit to each company website and fill out their own quote form. For example, we’ll pretend you want to compare Nationwide, State Farm and Allstate. You would have to take the time to go to each site and enter your policy data, which is why the first method is quicker. For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Rockland, click here.
- The hardest method of comparing rate quotes is driving to different Rockland agent offices. Buying insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you have a need for the trained guidance of a local Rockland agent. However, consumers can compare online quotes and get advice from an agent in your area and you’ll learn how to do that later.
It’s up to you which method you use, but ensure you are comparing the exact same coverage information for every company. If each company quotes different limits and deductibles on each one then you won’t be able to truly determine the lowest rate in Rockland. Quoting even small variations in coverages may result in large price differences. And when comparison shopping, comparing more company’s prices provides better odds of finding lower pricing.
What impacts Rockland insurance rates?
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that help determine the price you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with big savings.
The following are some of the items used by your company to calculate rates.
- Traffic violations increase rates – Your driving citation history impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Drivers with clean records have lower premiums than bad drivers. Even one ticket may increase your cost by twenty percent. Drivers who have serious citations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may need to file a SR-22 with their state motor vehicle department in order to continue driving.
- Credit scores impact auto insurance rates – Your credit score is a important factor in your rate calculation. People with high credit ratings tend to be more responsible than drivers with lower ratings. If your credit is low, you could save money insuring your by improving your credit score.
- Older drivers pay less – Older insureds are more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and tend to be better behind the wheel. Young drivers have a tendency to be more careless when behind the wheel therefore auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Little extras can really add up – There are a lot of additional coverages you can purchase when buying auto insurance. Coverages for roadside assistance, better glass coverage and motor club memberships may be costing you every month. They may seem like a good idea when you first buy your policy, but if you don’t need them eliminate them to save money.
- Safe vehicles cost less to insure – Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles result in less severe injuries and lower injury rates means less money paid by your insurance company and lower rates for you.
Quote online but work with a neighborhood agent
Certain consumers just want to buy from a local agent. One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find lower rates but also keep your business local. And supporting local insurance agencies is especially important in Rockland.
By using this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is transmitted to agents in your area who will compete for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent directly to your email. How cool is that?! Get lower rates AND a local agent.
The different types of insurance agents
When looking for a good insurance agency, there are a couple of different types of agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Agents are classified as either independent (non-captive) or captive.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company but rather can write business with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can switch companies and that require little work on your part.
When comparison shopping, we recommend you get quotes from at least one independent agent to get the best comparison.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agents in Rockland willing to provide comparison quotes.
J Edward Knight and Co Insurance – 138 Union St – Rockland, ME 04841 – (207) 594-8823
Allen Agency – 22 School St – Rockland, ME 04841 – (207) 594-4425
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive insurance agents can only write with one company and some examples include AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance and Allstate. These agents are unable to shop your coverage around so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents receive extensive training on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below is a list of captive insurance agents in Rockland willing to provide price quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 62 Maverick St – Rockland, ME 04841 – (207) 594-7166
To view a complete directory of captive insurance agents in Rockland, please go to this site.
Selecting an auto insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just the price. These questions are important to ask:
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Can glass repairs be made at your home?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
Once you have good answers and an acceptable price quote, you may have just found an insurance agent that is a good match to properly insure your vehicles.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of tips how to save on auto insurance. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from the least-expected company. They may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
As you restructure your insurance plan, don’t be tempted to buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, an accident victim reduced full coverage and discovered at claim time that it was a big error on their part. The proper strategy is to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
Additional information is available on the website for the Maine Bureau of Insurance through this link. Consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and read consumer alerts.