Purchasing the most affordable Holdrege auto insurance on the internet may be problematic for beginners to buying insurance on the web. Since there are so many insurers available, how can consumers possibly compare them all to find the lowest price available?
You should make it a habit to take a look at other company’s rates yearly because prices are rarely the same from one policy term to another. Even if you got the best deal a couple years back other companies may now be cheaper. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because you’re about to learn the things you must know in order to get good coverage at a lower rate.
Discounts are basically free money
Car insurance companies don’t necessarily list all their discounts very well, so we took the time to find both the well known and the more hidden ways to save on auto insurance. If you don’t get every credit you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less than drivers with accidents.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can receive discounts up to 30%.
- Accident Free – Claim-free drivers can earn big discounts as compared to accident-prone drivers.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in a professional or civic organization could trigger savings on your policy.
- Student Driver Training – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to take driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with one company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Low mileage vehicles can earn a substantially lower rate.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
Keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like you could get a free auto insurance policy, companies don’t profit that way.
To see a list of insurers who offer auto insurance discounts in Nebraska, click here to view.
Save Money with These Tips
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that help determine auto insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to better auto insurance rates.
- Don’t skimp on liability – The liability section of your policy is the coverage that protects you in the event that you are found to be at fault for personal injury or accident damage. It provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability is cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not cut corners here.
- Pleasure use saves money – The more you drive each year the more you will pay for auto insurance. Most companies price each vehicle’s coverage based on their usage. Vehicles used primarily for pleasure use receive lower rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Double check that your auto insurance policy is rated on the correct driver usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Low deductibles can be expensive – Insurance for physical damage to your car, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims could be colliding with a building, damage from fire, and burglary. Your deductibles are how much you are required to spend before your auto insurance pays a claim. The more you’re willing to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- What type of vehicle do you drive? – The type of car you are buying insurance for makes a substantial difference in how high your rates are. The lowest base rates are generally reserved for economy passenger cars, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Your spouse saves you money – Having a spouse actually saves money when buying auto insurance. Having a significant other is viewed as being more mature and statistics show married couples file fewer claims.
Insurance agents can help
When buying proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is unique.
These are some specific questions could help you determine whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Nebraska?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
Your insurance agent down the street
Some people would prefer to sit down with an agent and that is just fine! Insurance agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. The best thing about comparing rates online is you can get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your insurance coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents who will battle to get your business. You never need to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. How cool is that?!
Selecting an insurer should depend on more than just the premium amount. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Do they specialize in personal lines coverage?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- How many years of experience in personal lines insurance coverages do they have?
The difference between Holdrege insurance agents
When finding a local agent, there are a couple of types of insurance agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Holdrege agents are either independent or captive. Both types can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s important to know how they are different since it can impact the type of agent you choose
Captive agents can only write with one company like State Farm, AAA and Liberty Mutual. These agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so always compare other rates. Captive agencies are well schooled in insurance sales which can be an advantage. Consumers frequently buy from captive agents primarily because of the brand legacy and solid financial strength.
Shown below are Holdrege captive insurance agencies who can help you get comparison quotes.
- American Family Insurance – 316 East Ave – Holdrege, NE 68949 – (308) 995-3840
- State Farm Insurance – 701 4th Ave # 4 – Holdrege, NE 68949 – (308) 995-6868
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 411 Grant St – Holdrege, NE 68949 – (308) 995-4041
- Shelter Insurance – 311 Lafayette St – Holdrege, NE 68949 – (308) 995-5408
- Farmers Insurance Group – 700 Railroad St # 101 – Holdrege, NE 68949 – (308) 995-4635
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company but instead can place your coverage with multiple insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and that require little work on your part. When searching for an agent, it’s recommended you include price quotes from at least one independent agent to ensure the widest selection of prices. Many write coverage with lesser-known insurance companies which may provide better rates.
The following are independent insurance agents in Holdrege who can help you get price quotes.
- Batie and Thorell Insurance – 1223 4th Ave – Holdrege, NE 68949 – (308) 995-4804
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 411 Grant St – Holdrege, NE 68949 – (308) 995-4041
- General Service Agency Inc – 617 3rd Ave – Holdrege, NE 68949 – (308) 995-6123
- Erickson Agency Inc – 314 Garfield St – Holdrege, NE 68949 – (308) 995-8694
To view a complete directory of auto insurance agents in Holdrege, please click here.
After getting positive feedback to your questions and an affordable coverage quote, chances are good that you have found an insurance agency that will properly service your auto insurance policy.
Are auto insurance companies telling the truth?
Nebraska drivers can’t ignore all the ads that promise big savings from the likes of State Farm and Allstate. They all seem to make the same claim of big savings if you change your coverage to them.
How can each company say the same thing?
Insurance companies are able to cherry pick for the type of driver that makes them money. An example of a desirable insured could possibly be between the ages of 40 and 55, has no tickets, and chooses high deductibles. Any driver who fits that profile will qualify for the lowest rates and most likely will save quite a bit of money when switching.
Consumers who don’t qualify for this ideal profile will be quoted a higher premium and ends up with business not being written. Company advertisements say “customers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save money. That is how insurance companies can confidently advertise the savings. This emphasizes why you need to get as many comparisons as possible. It’s not possible to predict which company will have the lowest rates.
Even more information can be found at the Nebraska Department of Insurance website. Nebraska drivers can find out industry alerts, download brochures, read consumer alerts, and learn about specific coverages.
More effort can pay off
We’ve covered a lot of ways to get a better price on auto insurance. The key thing to remember is the more companies you get rates for, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Consumers may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from an unexpected company.
Cost effective auto insurance can be sourced both online as well as from independent agents in Holdrege, so compare prices from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies don’t offer online quoting and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
While you’re price shopping online, don’t be tempted to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits only to regret that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your aim should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price while still protecting your assets.