Did you make the mistake of buying an underperforming, overpriced car insurance policy? Believe me, there are a lot of people in Harlingen just like you who feel imprisoned by their car insurance policy. Insurance companies such as Progressive, State Farm and GEICO all claim big savings with advertising and consumers find it hard to see through the deception and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
Why you might pay higher rates in Harlingen
Lots of factors are used when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense like a motor vehicle report, but others are not as apparent such as whether you are married or your commute time.
The factors shown below are a few of the things utilized by car insurance companies to help set your rate level.
- Save money by eliminating incidental coverages – Policies have optional add-on coverages you can purchase on your car insurance policy. Insurance for roadside assistance, towing coverage, and additional equipment coverage are examples of these. They may sound like good ideas at first, but if you have no use for them get rid of them and save.
- Costs impacted by vehicle usage – The higher the miles on your car each year the more it will cost to insure it. A lot of insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage based on their usage. Cars and trucks that have low annual miles receive lower rates than cars that get driven a lot. It’s always a good idea to double check that your declarations sheet correctly shows the correct usage for each vehicle, because it can save money.
- Save money by staying claim free – Insurance companies in Texas provide lower rates to insureds who file claims infrequently. If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Your car insurance is meant to be used in the event of major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Cautious drivers pay the best premiums – Being a careful driver impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Attentive drivers receive lower rates as compared to those with violations. Just one citation can bump up the cost by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who have careless violations like reckless driving or DUI may find that they have to to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state’s licensing department in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- More performance means higher rates – The performance of the car or truck you own makes a big difference in your auto insurance rates. Lower cost passenger vehicles receive the most favorable rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Your stress level may be raising your prices – Occupations like lawyersair traffic controllers and stock brokers tend to pay higher rates than average due to intense work-related stress and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, jobs like scientists, students and the unemployed receive lower rates.
- Teenage drivers cost more – More mature drivers are more cautious drivers, statistically cause fewer accidents , and usually have better credit.Beginning drivers are statistically shown to be careless and easily distracted with other occupants in the car and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- Safer cars cost less to insure – Vehicles with good safety scores can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer serious injuries means lower claim amounts which can result in lower premiums. If your car, truck, or SUV scored at minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website it may be receiving lower rates.
These discounts can reduce car insurance rates
Companies don’t list their entire list of discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we took the time to find both the well known as well as the least known discounts that you may qualify for.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Employees or retirees of the government could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
- Low Miles Discount – Keeping the miles down could qualify for discounted prices on garaged vehicles.
- Seat Belts Save – Drivers who always wear seat belts and also require passengers to buckle up could save 15% off the personal injury premium cost.
- Payment Method – By paying your entire bill at once rather than spreading payments over time you could save up to 5%.
- Theft Prevention System – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are stolen with less frequency and will qualify for a discount on a .
- Early Signing – A few insurance companies offer discounts for buying a policy before your current expiration date. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Accident Forgiveness – This one isn’t a discount, but some companies like Progressive, Allstate, and Liberty Mutual will let one accident slide without raising rates so long as you haven’t had any claims prior to the accident.
- Telematics Data – Drivers that enable driving data collection to monitor their driving habits by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as Drivewise from Allstate or Snapshot from Progressive could save a few bucks if they exhibit good driving behavior.
Don’t be shocked that some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though you would think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you aren’t that lucky.
Some of the insurance companies that may offer quotes with these money-saving discounts include:
When comparing rates, check with every company to give you their best rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be offered in your state. To view insurance companies who offer online car insurance quotes in Texas, click here to view.
Why you might not save $398 a year
Big name companies like 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm constantly bombard you with ads in print and on television. They all seem to state the claim that people will save if you just switch your car insurance policy to them. How does every company say the same thing? You have to listen carefully.
Most companies offer their best rates for the driver that earns them the most money. For instance, a desirable insured might have to be a mature driver, has other policies, and the vehicle is rated for pleasure use. A customer getting a price quote that matches those criteria will get very good Harlingen auto insurance rates and therefore will save money with a new company.
Potential insureds who fall short of these criteria will be quoted higher rates which results in the customer not buying. The ad wording is “customers that switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” can get the lowest rates when switching. That is how insurance companies can make the claims of big savings.
Each company has different criteria, so drivers should quote coverage with many companies. It’s impossible to know which company will provide you with the cheapest rates.
When do I need an agent’s advice?
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that might point out whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Am I covered by my employer’s commercial auto policy when driving my personal car for business?
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- Do I need to file an SR-22 for a DUI in Texas?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Additional car insurance information can be found on the . Click here for link. Consumers can learn about insurance regulations, find disaster information, find a variety of consumer forms, and file complaints about a company.
Cheaper coverage is out there
Some insurance companies may not provide the ability to get a quote online and usually these small insurance companies only sell through independent agents. The cheapest car insurance can be sourced online as well as from insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best chance of lowering rates.
We’ve covered a lot of tips how to save on car insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better likelihood of getting . Consumers may even find the best price on car insurance is with a smaller regional carrier. Smaller companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates compared to the large companies like Allstate or State Farm.