Saving money on Newport car insurance can be difficult for beginners to shopping for insurance online. People have so many options available that it can be a real hassle to find lower rates in Newport.
Are you getting all your discounts?
Companies offering auto insurance do not list all their discounts very well, so we took the time to find both well-publicized as well as the least known ways to save on car insurance.
- Accident Forgiveness – A few companies allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking a course in driver safety could save 5% or more if you qualify.
- Federal Government Employee – Simply working for the federal government can earn a discount up to 10% with a few car insurance companies.
- Drivers Education – Cut your cost by having your teen driver successfully complete driver’s ed class if offered at their school.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accidents.
- Sign Online – A handful of insurance companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks simply for signing on their website.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
Keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So despite the fact that it appears you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won’t be that lucky.
For a list of insurance companies with the best car insurance discounts in Newport, click here to view.
Free Quotes for Car Insurance in Newport, VT
When shopping for car insurance there are multiple ways of comparing rate quotes and find the best price. The simplest method to find the lowest rates is to perform an online rate comparison. This is very easy and can be done in a couple of different ways.
- The recommended way to find low rates is to use a rate comparison form click to view form in new window. This easy form prevents you from having to do separate quotes for each company. A single, simple form gets you coverage quotes from several companies. Just one form and you’re done.
- A less efficient way to get comparison quotes requires a trip to each individual company website and fill out their own quote form. For example, we’ll assume you want rates from Geico, State Farm and Progressive. To get rate quotes you would need to spend time on each company’s site to enter your coverage information, which is why the first method is quicker.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Newport, click here.
However you get your quotes, make absolute certain that you use the exact same deductibles and coverage limits for every quote you compare. If you enter unequal deductibles or liability limits you can’t possibly determine the lowest rate in Newport. Slightly different coverages may result in large price differences. And when comparison shopping, having more price comparisons helps locate lower pricing.
Smart Consumers Save More
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that help determine car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that can help you get big savings.
The following are some of the items used by your company to calculate your rates.
- Performance level impacts rates – The make and model of the car you own makes a huge difference in the rate you pay. The cheapest insurance rates are generally reserved for small economy passenger cars, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Pay less if you’re married – Being married helps lower the price on car insurance. Having a spouse usually means you are more mature and it’s statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- How many coverages with the same company – Most companies will award you with lower prices to customers who buy several policies from them. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. Even if you’re getting this discount you may still want to comparison shop to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Protect yourself with liability coverage – Your policy’s liability coverage provides coverage if ever a jury decides you are liable for personal injury or accident damage. Liability provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. This coverage is very inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so do not cut corners here.
- Never go without insurance – Letting your insurance expire will be a fast way to trigger a rate increase. Not only will you pay more, but not being able to provide proof of insurance may earn you a revoked license or a big fine.
- Do you have a high stress job? – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Careers like doctors, architects and dentists tend to pay the highest average rates attributed to job stress and long work days. Other jobs such as pilots, historians and performers have the lowest average rates.
- Traffic citations inflate rates – Drivers with clean records get better rates than bad drivers. Even a single citation may increase your cost twenty percent or more. Drivers who get serious violations like hit and run, DWI or reckless driving convictions may be required to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility to the state department of motor vehicles in order to continue driving.
Slick advertising tricks that work
State Farm, Geico and Progressive constantly bombard you with ads on TV and radio. All the companies say the same thing that you’ll save big if you switch your policy. How can each company claim to save you money?
All companies have a preferred profile for the right customer that makes them money. For example, a driver they prefer could possibly be a mature driver, has no tickets, and drives newer vehicles. A customer who fits that profile will get very good rates and as a result will probably cut their rates substantially.
Drivers who don’t meet this ideal profile will be charged higher rates and ends up with business not being written. Company advertisements say “people who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much money. That’s the way companies can truthfully make those claims. That is why you should compare many company’s rates. It’s not possible to predict which car insurance company will fit your personal profile best.
More effort can pay off
Discount car insurance is available from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Newport, so you should be comparing quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies don’t offer online price quotes and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Drivers leave their current company for a number of reasons such as policy cancellation, not issuing a premium refund, policy non-renewal or even delays in responding to claim requests. Whatever your reason, choosing a new insurance company can be easier than you think.
As you shop your coverage around, it’s very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In too many instances, drivers have reduced full coverage to discover at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to get the best coverage possible at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
More tips and info about car insurance is available at the Vermont Department of Financial Regulation website. Consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and file complaints about a company.
Other related articles: