Sick and tired of trying to scrape together enough money to pay your car insurance bill each month? You are no different than most other car owners in Delaware. Big companies like State Farm, Allstate, Geico and Progressive all claim big savings, bombarding you with TV and radio ads and it can be hard to not get sucked in by the cute commercials and take the time to shop coverage around.
You need to do rate comparisons at least once a year because prices fluctuate regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest price a couple years back other companies may now be cheaper. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because you’re about to learn the only way to reduce your cost while improving coverage.
If you have a policy now or are looking for a new policy, you can follow these tips to reduce the price you pay and still get good coverage. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Smyrna is quite easy. Delaware drivers only need an understanding of how to compare rates online.
Comparison of Auto Insurance in Smyrna
There are several ways to shop for auto insurance, but some are less time-consuming than others. You can waste a lot of time talking to insurance agencies in Smyrna, or you could use the internet to achieve your goal.
Many companies enroll in a system where prospective buyers enter their coverage request one time, and each participating company then returns a price quote determined by their information. This saves time by eliminating quote requests for each company.
To find out how much you can save on auto insurance click here (opens in new window).
The only drawback to pricing coverage this way is you are unable to specify which carriers to receive prices from. If you wish to select specific insurance companies for rate comparison, we put together a list of the cheapest auto insurance companies in Delaware. Click here to view list.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just compare the exact same coverage limits on every quote. If you have mixed coverages you will not be able to decipher which rate is best in Smyrna.
Buy Cheaper Auto Insurance with These Tips
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what determines base rates allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are some of the items companies use to determine prices.
- Higher safety ratings means cheaper insurance – Vehicles with good safety scores get lower rates. These vehicles reduce injuries and better occupant protection translates into fewer and smaller insurance claims and lower rates for you.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates – Driving your car without having proper coverage is against the law and you will pay a penalty because you let your insurance lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, but not being able to provide proof of insurance might get you a revoked license or a big fine.
- Where you live – Choosing to live in small towns and rural areas can be a good thing when talking about auto insurance. City drivers regularly have much more traffic and longer commute times. Lower population translates into fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate.
- High deductibles save money – Your deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. Insurance for physical damage to your car, also known as collision and other-than-collision, protects your car from damage. Examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, vandalism, and windstorm damage. The more expense you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- Extra coverages can waste money – There are many additional coverages that you can get tricked into buying on your auto insurance policy. Insurance for personal injury protection, accidental death and term life insurance may be wasting your money. These coverages may sound good at first, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Occupation reflects on rates – Careers like judges, business owners and dentists have the highest average rates in part from job stress and long work days. Other professions such as actors, historians and retirees get better rates.
Verify you’re getting all your discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, buy you may qualify for discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Some discounts apply automatically when you quote, but a few need to be specifically requested prior to receiving the credit. If you don’t get every credit you qualify for, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Defensive Driving Course – Successfully completing a course teaching defensive driving skills can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can avoid accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of paying each month you may reduce your total bill.
- Drivers Education – Have your child enroll in driver’s education in school.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home can help you save on auto insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Sign Early and Save – Select companies give a discount for switching policies prior to your current policy expiring. It can save you around 10%.
- E-sign – Certain companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- Life Insurance Discount – Companies who offer life insurance give a break if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Safe Driver Discount – Insureds without accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than their less cautious counterparts.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, you won’t be that lucky. Any amount of discount will help reduce the cost of coverage.
For a list of insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in Delaware, click here.
Compare but don’t skimp
Affordable auto insurance can be found both online and with local Smyrna insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance providers do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.
When shopping online for auto insurance, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. Too many times, an insured cut liability limits or collision coverage to discover at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your focus should be to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
Additional auto insurance information is available on the website for the Delaware Department of Insurance. Click here for link. Consumers can file complaints about a company, find a variety of consumer forms, and read consumer alerts.