Consumers who are new to the process of comparing insurance rates online might discover purchasing low-cost Elkhart car insurance quite challenging.
Save big with these discounts
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but there could be available discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you get a quote, but some may not be applied and must be inquired about before you will receive the discount.
- Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down can qualify you for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being deployed with a military unit could mean lower rates.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you have multiple policies with the same insurance company you may earn approximately 10% to 15%.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to wear their seat belts could cut 10% or more off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can reduce accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying coverage for multiple vehicles on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Save with a New Car – Adding a new car to your policy can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But all discounts will reduce the amount you have to pay.
To choose insurance companies offering car insurance discounts in Elkhart, click this link.
Why some people pay less for insurance in Elkhart
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that play a part in calculating car insurance rates. Knowing what impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are a few of the “ingredients” companies use to determine premiums.
- Small claims can cost you – Car insurance companies in Indiana generally give lower rates to drivers who are claim-free. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee either higher rates or even cancellation. Car insurance is intended to be relied upon for larger claims.
- How’s your driving record? – A bad driving record impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Even one moving violation can boost insurance rates twenty percent or more. Careful drivers get better rates than people who have multiple driving citations. If you have severe violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to file a SR-22 with the DMV in their state in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Your occupation can affect rates – Did you know your car insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Careers like doctors, social workers and accountants tend to pay higher rates than average attributed to stressful work requirements and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, occupations like farmers, athletes and performers have the lowest average rates.
- High deductibles save money – Coverage for physical damage, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your car from damage. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be a windshield shattered by a rock, vandalism, and rolling your vehicle. Your deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. The more money the insured has to pay upfront, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Never let your coverage lapse – Driving your car without having proper coverage is a misdemeanor and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage lapse. And not only will insurance be more expensive, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance might get you a steep fine or even jail time.
- Do men or women drive better? – Statistics show women are more cautious behind the wheel. However, don’t assume that men are WORSE drivers than women. They both cause accidents at about the same rate, but the male of the species cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also tend to get cited for more serious violations such as DWI and reckless driving.
Comparing rates from local agents
Certain consumers prefer to talk to a local agent and that is just fine! The best thing about getting online price quotes is you may find the best rates but also keep your business local. Buying from local agencies is definitely important in Elkhart.
Upon completion of this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is sent to agents in your area who will battle for your coverage. There is no need to leave your house because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. Now that’s easy! It’s the lowest rates AND a local agent.
What type of Elkhart insurance agency is right for you?
When looking for an insurance agent, there are a couple of types of agencies to choose from. Insurance agencies in Elkhart are classified as either captive or independent.
Independent insurance agents are not required to write business for one company so they have the ability to put coverage amongst many companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, an independent agent can move your coverage and you won’t have to switch agencies. When comparison shopping, you should always include several independent insurance agents for maximum quote selection.Most can insure with lesser-known insurance companies who may have lower rates.
The following is a short list of independent agents in Elkhart that may be able to provide price quotes.
- A Agency Insurance – 505 S 3rd St # 140 – Elkhart, IN 46516 – (574) 522-4455
- Shultz Insurance Inc – 219 S 3rd St – Elkhart, IN 46516 – (574) 293-9571
- Leannell Parkers Agency Inc – 54933 County Road 17 – Elkhart, IN 46516 – (574) 522-3540
- Jan Ballowe Agency – 23585 Us Highway 33 – Elkhart, IN 46517 – (574) 875-4540
- TBA Insurance – 1601 W Beardsley Ave – Elkhart, IN 46514 – (574) 294-8951
This type of agents have only one company to place business with and some examples include AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance and Allstate. These agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so they have no alternatives for high prices. Captive agencies are trained well on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Some consumers prefer to buy from captive agents partially due to the prominence of the brand and strong financial ratings.
Below is a list of captive insurance agents in Elkhart who can help you get price quotes.
- American Family – 23737 Us Highway 33 # A – Elkhart, IN 46517 – (574) 875-5723
- Farm Bureau Insurance – 2310 W Lexington Ave – Elkhart, IN 46514 – (574) 295-4488
- Allstate Insurance – 154 W Hively Ave # 41a – Elkhart, IN 46517 – (574) 293-8581
- State Farm Insurance – 29966 Old Us 20 – Elkhart, IN 46514 – (574) 522-1148
To view a full list of car insurance agents in Elkhart, simply jump to this page.
Selecting an insurance agent requires more thought than just a cheap price. Any agent should have no problem answering these questions:
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Are there any discounts that you might be missing?
- What insurance companies do they work with?
Once you have received reasonable responses to any questions you have and an acceptable price quote, it’s possible that you found an insurance agent that is a good match to service your policy.
Much more information about car insurance in Indiana can be found on the Indiana Department of Insurance website found here. Indiana drivers can find out which companies have the most complaints, report car insurance fraud, read state legal mandates and laws, and find a variety of consumer forms.
A tidy conclusion
Cheaper car insurance can be found from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Elkhart, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies don’t offer online quoting and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
We just presented some good ideas how you can compare car insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. You may be surprised to find that the lowest rates come from some of the smallest insurance companies.
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where drivers have reduced uninsured motorist or liability limits and discovered at claim time they didn’t have enough coverage. The ultimate goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.