Being forced to pay for high-priced car insurance premiums can take a big chunk out of your checking account and require stricter spending habits. Doing a rate comparison is free and is an excellent way to lower your monthly bill.
Because there are so many car insurance companies to choose from, it can be hard to pick the cheapest car insurance company.
It’s smart to do rate comparisons yearly because insurance prices change regularly. Even if you think you had the lowest rate six months ago you can probably find a better premium rate now. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you’re about to find out the fastest and easiest way to buy cheaper car insurance.
Locating the lowest cost protection in Irondale is not that difficult. Essentially anyone who is required by state law to have car insurance will be able to save money. Nevertheless, Alabama drivers need to have an understanding of the way insurance companies sell insurance online because it can help you find the best coverage.
Earn discounts to get lower-cost Irondale car insurance rates
Some companies don’t always list every disount available in an easy-to-find place, so the list below contains some of the best known and the more hidden credits available to lower your premiums when you . If you do not double check each discount available, you are not getting the best rate possible.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Mature drivers are able to get a slight reduction on a .
- Student in College – Kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from home and do not take a car to college could get you a discount.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- E-sign – Some car insurance companies will give a small break for completing your application over the internet.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Buying insurance for multiple cars with one company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Discount for New Cars – Buying a new car instead of a used car can cost up to 25% less because new model year vehicles keep occupants safer.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not a discount per se, but some insurance companies permit an accident before hitting you with a surcharge as long as you don’t have any claims prior to being involved in the accident.
- Federal Employees – Active or former government employment can save as much as 8% depending on your car insurance provider.
- Auto/Life Discount – Not all companies offer life insurance, but some may give you better premium rates if you take out life insurance.
A little note about advertised discounts, most credits do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because you may think you could get a free car insurance policy, it doesn’t quite work that way.
Some of the larger companies that possibly offer most of these discounts possibly include:
It’s a good idea to ask each company which credits you are entitled to. Discounts may not apply to policies in your area.
How car insurance companies determine rates
Lots of things are part of the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving record, although others are not quite as obvious such as whether you are married or how financially stable you are.
- Guys tend to take more risk – Over time, data shows that females take fewer risks when driving. It does not mean men are worse drivers. Men and women tend to get into auto accidents at about the same rate, but men have accidents that have higher claims. Not only that, but men also get more serious tickets such as DWI and reckless driving. Young males are most likely to cause an accident so they pay the highest premiums.
- Prices can be impacted by your employer – Careers such as judgesair traffic controllers and stock brokers generally have higher premium rates due to intense work requirements and extremely grueling work hours. On the flip side, jobs like farmers, athletes and performers pay the least.
- Do thieves like your car? – Choosing to buy a car with anti-theft technology or alarm system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Theft prevention devices like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms help track and prevent auto theft.
- Responsible drivers pay less – A bad driving record can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Drivers who don’t get tickets get better prices as compared to careless drivers. Having just one speeding ticket or other violation can increase rates by as much as thirty percent. Drivers who have received license-revoking violations like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may face state-mandated requirements to submit a SR-22 form to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- Use but don’t abuse your insurance – Car insurance companies in Alabama provide cheaper rates to drivers who file claims infrequently. If you file claims often, you can definitely plan on much higher rates or policy non-renewal. Auto insurance is designed for the large, substantial claims.
- Your spouse saves you money – Walking down the aisle may earn you lower rates on car insurance. Having a spouse translates into being more mature and it’s proven that being married results in fewer claims.
- Fast cars cost more to insure – The type of car or truck you own makes a substantial difference in your rates. The lowest rates will generally be found on economy passenger models, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
Tailor your car insurance coverage to you
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage, there isn’t really a one size fits all plan. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed. For instance, these questions may help highlight whether your personal situation would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving my company car?
- Is Alabama a no-fault state?
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- Should I buy more coverage than the required Alabama minimum liability coverage?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Additional car insurance links
More information is located on the located here. Alabama drivers can view a list of available companies, view agent and company licensing information, and read consumer alerts.
Best coverage at the best price
Some insurance providers may not provide online rate quotes and these regional insurance providers work with local independent agents. Budget-conscious car insurance is attainable online and from local insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
As you restructure your insurance plan, never reduce needed coverages to save money. Too many times, an insured cut liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time that it was a big mistake. The ultimate goal is to purchase plenty of coverage at the best price while not skimping on critical coverages.
You just read a lot of tips how to save on car insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding . Drivers may discover the lowest priced car insurance comes from the least-expected company. Some small companies can often provide lower auto insurance rates in certain areas than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.