Saving money on Temple car insurance is kind of frustrating for people who are beginners to online price comparisons. With dozens of companies in the marketplace, it can be a difficult situation to find more affordable car insurance rates.
Pricing affordable coverage in Temple can be fairly easy. If you have insurance now or are shopping for new coverage, you can use these techniques to shop for the lowest rates and possibly find even better coverage. Texas consumers only need to know the proper methods to get comparison rates over the internet.
Discounts can really help lower rates
Car insurance companies don’t always list every discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the below list has both well-publicized and the more hidden discounts that may be available.
- Life Insurance – Select insurance companies reward you with a lower car insurance rate if you buy a life policy as well.
- Save over 55 – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you could receive a small decrease in premiums.
- Drive Less and Save – Keeping the miles down could earn cheaper premium rates.
- Home Ownership Discount – Owning a home in Temple can get you a discount because it demonstrates responsibility.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Buying coverage for several vehicles with one company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Discount for Good Grades – A discount for being a good student can earn a discount of 20% or more. The good student discount can last up until you turn 25.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not a discount per se, but some insurance companies allow you one accident before they charge you more for coverage if you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen less frequently and that can save you a little bit as well.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So even though it sounds like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it’s just not the way it works.
The best car insurance companies and a selection of discounts include:
- Progressive offers discounts including homeowner, good student, continuous coverage, online quote discount, online signing, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
- MetLife discounts include accident-free, defensive driver, good driver, claim-free, multi-policy, and good student.
- Mercury Insurance includes discounts for age of vehicle, multi-car, professional/association, multi-policy, type of vehicle, good driver, and accident-free.
- Nationwide offers premium reductions for defensive driving, anti-theft, business or organization, Farm Bureau membership, and family plan.
- Geico has savings for anti-theft, daytime running lights, multi-policy, federal employee, emergency military deployment, and defensive driver.
- AAA may offer discounts for AAA membership discount, multi-policy, multi-car, pay-in-full, education and occupation, good student, and anti-theft.
Before purchasing a policy, check with each company or agent the best way to save money. All car insurance discounts may not apply to policies everywhere. To see insurance companies that have a full spectrum of discounts in Temple, click here.
Find lower-cost car insurance with these tips
The best way to find cheaper car insurance is to take a look at some of the elements that go into determining car insurance rates. When you understand what influences your rates, this enables you to make decisions that may result in better car insurance rates. Many factors are used when you get a price on insurance. Most are fairly basic like your driving record, although some other factors are less obvious such as your credit history or how safe your car is.
Shown below are a partial list of the pieces used by insurance companies to determine your prices.
- Low physical damage deductibles can be expensive – Physical damage protection, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, insures against damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be running into the backend of another car, damage caused by hail, or theft. Physical damage deductibles tell how much you are willing to pay before a claim is paid by your company. The more of the claim the insured is willing to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Drive lots and pay more – The higher the mileage driven each year the higher your rate. A lot of companies apply a rate based upon how much you drive. Vehicles that are left in the garage receive lower rates than those used for commuting. It’s a smart idea to ensure your declarations sheet shows the proper vehicle usage.
- Insurance is expensive for teenage drivers – Teen drivers in Texas have been known to be careless and easily distracted when behind the wheel therefore car insurance rates are much higher. Older people have been proven to be more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents .
- Cheaper rates after marriage – Having a spouse can actually save you money when shopping for car insurance. It translates into being more mature and insurance companies reward insureds because being married results in fewer claims.
- Prevent your car from being stolen – Buying a car with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft deterrent systems like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms can thwart car theft and help bring rates down.
- Pay less with a high safety rating – Vehicles with high crash test scores tend to have better insurance rates. Vehicles engineered for safety result in less severe injuries and reduced instances of injuries means your insurance company pays less which can mean better rates for you.
Will just any policy work for me?
When choosing the best car insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
For example, these questions can help discover whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- What happens if I owe more than my vehicle is worth?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Informative consumer insurance sites
Much more information about car insurance in Texas can be read on the Texas Department of Insurance website located here. Texas drivers can read consumer alerts, get help finding coverage, and find a variety of consumer forms.
Don’t give up on affordable coverage
Affordable car insurance can be sourced from both online companies in addition to many Temple insurance agents, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance providers do not provide online rate quotes and these regional carriers only sell through local independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s very important that you do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are many occasions where an insured dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your goal should be to find the BEST coverage at an affordable rate.
Consumers leave their current company for a variety of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, unfair underwriting practices, an unsatisfactory settlement offer or even delays in paying claims. No matter why you want to switch, switching car insurance companies can be easier than you think.