I can’t think of a single person who looks forward to buying auto insurance, especially knowing they are paying too much. You have so many car insurance companies to buy insurance from, and even though it’s nice to have a selection, it makes it harder to locate the cheapest rates.
It’s important to get comparison quotes periodically because insurance rates fluctuate regularly. Just because you found the best rates last year you can probably find a lower rate today. So just forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because you’re going to learn the only way to lower your annual insurance bill.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can drop the cost substantially. Some trigger automatically when you quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be requested specifically prior to receiving the credit. If you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Memberships – Being a member of a qualifying organization could trigger savings on auto insurance.
- Drive Less and Save – Low mileage vehicles can earn lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give lower rates if you buy life insurance from them.
- Claim Free – Claim-free drivers pay less when compared with bad drivers.
- Good Students Pay Less – Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. This discount can apply up to age 25.
- 55 and Retired – Older drivers may receive better auto insurance rates.
- Homeowners Savings – Owning a home in Topeka can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a deployed family member can result in better rates.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. Just because it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it just doesn’t work that way. Any qualifying discounts will cut your premiums.
Car insurance is unique, just like you
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no one size fits all plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so this has to be addressed. For example, these questions can aid in determining if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Is business property covered if stolen from my car?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
Additional auto insurance information can be read on the website for the Kansas Insurance Department. Click here for link. Kansas consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, report car insurance fraud, and find disaster information.
Best coverage at the best price
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not reduce needed coverages to save money. In too many instances, an insured dropped physical damage coverage to discover at claim time that it was a big mistake. Your goal should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price.
Discount auto insurance is definitely available from both online companies in addition to many Topeka insurance agents, so compare prices from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some companies do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.
We just presented many tips how you can get a better price on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even discover the lowest premiums are with the smaller companies. These smaller insurers may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like Progressive or GEICO.