Perplexed by the number of car insurance choices in Fort Lauderdale? Many other drivers are as well. People have so many options available that it can turn into a big hassle to find lower rates.
You should make it a habit to shop coverage around yearly because prices are variable and change quite frequently. Just because you had the best price two years ago other companies may now be cheaper. Block out anything you think you know about car insurance because you’re about to learn the right way to get good coverage at a lower rate.
How to Buy Fort Lauderdale Car Insurance Online
Shopping for lower car insurance rates can be a lot of work if you aren’t aware of the most efficient way to do it. You could waste time talking to agents in Fort Lauderdale, or you can stay home and use online quoting to accomplish the same thing much quicker.
Most major companies participate in an industry program that allows shoppers to complete one form, and at least one company can give them a price. This eliminates the need for quote requests for every car insurance company. To access this free quoting program, click to open in new window.
The one disadvantage to comparing rates this way is you can’t choose which providers you want to price. If you prefer to choose specific providers to receive pricing from, we put together a list of the cheapest car insurance companies in Florida. Click here for list of insurance companies in Florida.
Whichever way you use, double check that you are using exactly the same information on every quote. If you enter different limits and deductibles on each one it’s not possible to decipher which rate is best in Fort Lauderdale.
Pay less by taking advantage of discounts
Companies that sell car insurance do not list all available discounts very clearly, so here is a list both well-publicized and the more hidden savings tricks you should be using. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- New Vehicle Savings – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can save up to 30% since new cars are generally safer.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Vehicles equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are stolen less frequently and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Memberships – Being a member of a civic or occupational organization could qualify you for a break when shopping for car insurance.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a home in Fort Lauderdale may earn you a small savings because of the fact that having a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Good Student – This discount can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you until age 25.
- Federal Employees – Active or retired federal employment can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
Consumers should know that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Even though it may seem like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won’t be that lucky.
For a list of providers offering car insurance discounts in Fort Lauderdale, click here.
Compare online but buy from a local Fort Lauderdale agent
Certain consumers prefer to buy from a licensed agent. Professional agents can help determine the best coverages and give you someone to call. One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is that you can obtain the best rates and still choose a local agent.
After completing this simple form, the coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents in Fort Lauderdale who will battle for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to drive around as quotes are delivered directly to your email. It doesn’t get any easier!
Choosing an insurance company needs to be determined by more than just a low price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- If you are a high risk driver, do they have special markets for your coverage?
- Which members of your family are coverage by the policy?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Who are their largest clients?
If you wish to view licensed agents in Fort Lauderdale, please click here.
After getting good answers for all questions you ask in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you have narrowed it down to an insurance company that is a good match to properly service your car insurance policy.
How your Fort Lauderdale rates are determined
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that play a part in calculating your car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that could result in lower car insurance prices.
- Increase deductibles and save – Physical damage coverage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be colliding with a building, damage caused by hail, and rolling your vehicle. Physical damage deductibles are how much you are willing to pay in the event of a claim. The higher the amount the insured has to pay upfront, the less your car insurance will be.
- Your credit rating is important – A driver’s credit score is a huge factor in your rate calculation. If your credit rating is lower than you’d like, you could potentially save money when insuring your by improving your rating. Drivers who have high credit ratings tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have poor credit.
- Women pay lower rates – Statistics demonstrate that women are safer drivers than men. Now that doesn’t mean women are better drivers. Men and women are in accidents at about the same rate, but the men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also statistically have more aggressive citations like reckless driving and DUI.
- Is your vehicle built for speed? – The performance level of the car you drive makes a big difference in how high your rates are. Low performance passenger models receive the most favorable rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- How’s your driving record? – Your driving citation history impacts your car insurance rates tremendously. Just one moving violation can increase rates forty percent or more. Good drivers receive lower rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who have severe citations like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Rate your vehicle for proper use – The higher the mileage driven in a year’s time the more you will pay for car insurance. Almost all companies rate vehicles based upon how you use the vehicle. Cars not used for work or commuting get more affordable rates as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Ask your agent if your car insurance declarations sheet is rated on the correct usage for each vehicle.
- Special features that cut premiums – Choosing a vehicle with an alarm system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention features such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can thwart your car from being stolen.
Save 15 percent in 15 minutes? Is it for real?
Consumers constantly see and hear ads for cheaper car insurance from companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive. They all seem to have a common claim that you’ll save big if you move your policy.
How do they all make the same claim? It’s all in the numbers.
Insurance companies can use profiling for the type of driver that earns them a profit. An example of a profitable customer might be between 25 and 40, a clean driving record, and has a short commute. A driver who meets those qualifications will get the preferred rates and therefore will save a lot of money.
Consumers who don’t meet this ideal profile must pay a more expensive rate which leads to business going elsewhere. The ads state “customers that switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save money. That is how companies can truthfully make those claims. This illustrates why drivers must quote coverage with many companies. Because you never know which company will give you the biggest savings.
Buy online or local, you save
Drivers switch companies for many reasons like extreme rates for teen drivers, delays in responding to claim requests, poor customer service and delays in paying claims. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch choosing a new company is pretty simple and you could end up saving a buck or two.
We’ve covered many ideas to compare car insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company.
Cheaper car insurance is attainable both online as well as from independent agents in Fort Lauderdale, so you should be comparing quotes from both to get a complete price analysis. Some companies don’t offer online price quotes and many times these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
More detailed Florida car insurance information is located at the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation website. Florida drivers can view agent and company licensing information, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, read industry bulletins, and find out which companies have the most complaints.