Being forced to pay for pricey car insurance premiums can dwindle your accounts and put the squeeze on your family’s finances. Price shopping at each renewal can help to lower your bills every month.
With people having so many insurance companies to choose from, it’s difficult to find the most cost effective car insurance company.
The purpose of this article is to tell you how car insurance quotes work and some tips to save money. If you currently have car insurance, you should be able to cut costs considerably using this information. New York drivers just need to understand the proper methods to shop for car insurance online.
Many insurance companies give coverage prices on their websites. Getting quotes is possible for anyone because it’s just a matter of typing in your coverage preferences into the quote form. Upon sending the form, the system makes automated requests for credit information and your driving record and returns a price quote based on these factors. Online price estimates makes it simple to compare prices but having to visit multiple sites and type in your information is repetitive and time-consuming. But it’s very important to perform this step in order to get better car insurance pricing.
A less time-consuming method to find better car insurance pricing utilizes a single form that gets price quotes from many companies. It’s a real time-saver, requires much less work on your part, and makes quoting online much easier. Once the form is submitted, your coverage is rated with multiple companies and you can pick any one of the resulting price quotes.
If a lower price is quoted, you can simply submit the application and purchase the new policy. The whole process takes 15 minutes at the most and you will find out if you’re overpaying now.
To save time and find out how much you’re overpaying now, click here to open in new window and submit your coverage information. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend you enter coverages and limits exactly as shown on your declarations page. This helps ensure you will be getting a rate comparison for similar insurance coverage.
Don’t believe everything you hear
New York consumers can’t avoid all the ads for cheaper car insurance from the likes of State Farm and Allstate. All the companies advertise claims of big savings just by moving your coverage to them.
It sounds good, but how can they all say the same thing? It’s all in the wording.
Companies give the best rates for the type of customer that is profitable for them. For example, this type of driver might be a female over age 40, has no tickets, and has great credit. Anyone who meets those qualifications is entitled to the best price and therefore will pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
People who do not fit the “perfect” profile will probably be forced to pay more expensive rates and ends up with business going elsewhere. If you pay attention, the ads say “people who switch” but not “everyone who gets a quote” can get the lowest rates when switching. That’s why companies can make claims like that.
Different companies use different criteria so drivers should compare many company’s prices. You cannot predict which company will give you the biggest savings.
Why informed drivers pay lower rates in Glen Cove
A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing a few of the rating criteria that aid in calculating your premiums. If you have some idea of what controls the rates you pay, this helps enable you to make changes that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs. Many different elements are part of the equation when you quote your car insurance policy. Some factors are common sense such as your driving record, but other factors are not as apparent such as your credit history or your financial responsibility.
The factors shown below are most of the major factors that factor into your rates.
- Bad credit hurts insurance prices – A driver’s credit score is a big factor in determining your rates. Therefore, if your credit history leaves room for improvement, you could be paying less to insure your vehicle by improving your credit score. Drivers with high credit scores tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than those with bad credit.
- Avoid tickets and save – Getting just one driving citation can boost insurance rates substantially. Attentive drivers have lower premiums than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who get multiple tickets like DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may find that they have to to maintain a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- More performance means more cost – The performance of the car you drive makes a substantial difference in your rates. The most favorable rates are usually for the lowest performance passenger vehicles, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- An active insurance claims history can cost you – Insurance companies in New York generally give better rates to policyholders who are claim-free. If you file a lot of claims you can pretty much guarantee either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for larger claims.
- More policies can equal more savings – The majority of car insurance companies provide lower prices to buyers who carry more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you qualify for this discount already, drivers will still want to compare rates to make sure you are getting the best deal.There is a chance you can save even more by buying car insurance from a different company.
- Cheaper prices using alarms and GPS tracking – Purchasing a vehicle with an alarm system can help lower your rates. Theft prevention devices like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms help track and prevent vehicle theft.
- Lower annual miles equals lower premium – The more you drive your car each year the higher your rates will be. A lot of insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage based upon how much you drive. Autos that have low annual miles can get a lower rate than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Ask your agent if your policy properly reflects annual mileage.
Take advantage of every car insurance discount
Car insurance is not cheap nor is it fun to buy but there may be some discounts that you may not know about. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time you complete a quote, but a few need to be asked about in order for you to get them.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers complete a driver education course as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down can qualify you for substantially lower premium rates.
- Early Signing – A few larger companies give discounts for renewing your policy before your current policy expires. You may see this discount when you get .
- Active Service Discounts – Having an actively deployed family member may qualify for rate reductions.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Buying a new car model can save you some money since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Club Memberships – Affiliation with qualifying employment or professional organizations could trigger savings on car insurance.
As a sidenote, many deductions do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only cut individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, that’s just not realistic.
The best car insurance companies and some of the discounts can be read below.
- 21st Century discounts include 55 and older, good student, homeowners, student driver, anti-lock brakes, and defensive driver.
- State Farm may offer discounts for student away at school, defensive driving training, accident-free, multiple policy, and driver’s education.
- AAA has discounts for anti-theft, AAA membership discount, education and occupation, good driver, multi-car, pay-in-full, and multi-policy.
- Liberty Mutual offers premium reductions for new move discount, exclusive group savings, safety features, teen driver discount, and good student.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including good student, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, online quote discount, and homeowner.
If you are trying to find , ask all companies you are considering what discounts are available to you. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not be available in Glen Cove. For a list of insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in Glen Cove, follow this link.
When should I discuss my situation with an agent?
When it comes to choosing the best car insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For example, these questions may help highlight whether or not you could use an agent’s help.
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Should I file a claim if it’s only slightly more than my deductible?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of car insurance companies in your area. It’s fast, free and may give you better protection.
Can’t I compare rate quotes from local Glen Cove car insurance agents?
A lot of people just prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and that can be a great decision Experienced insurance agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help file insurance claims. One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is that you can obtain lower auto insurance rates and still have an agent to talk to. And buying from local insurance agents is still important in Glen Cove.
Once you complete this quick form, your insurance coverage information gets sent to companies in Glen Cove that provide for your business. You don’t have to even leave your home as quotes are delivered to your email. If you have a need to quote rates for a specific company, you can always jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
If you are searching for a reliable agent, it’s helpful to know the types of insurance agents and how they can quote your rates. Car insurance agents can be described as either captive agents or independent agents. Either one can insure your vehicles properly, but it is important to understand how they are different since it could factor into which agent you choose.
Independent Car Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be independent are appointed with more than one company so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies and find you the best rates. If prices rise, they simply move your policy to a different company without you having to go to a different agency.
When searching for an agent, it’s a good idea to contact at least one independent agent so that you can do a thorough price comparison.
Below are Glen Cove independent insurance agents that may be able to give price quotes.
Conrado Agency – 14 Glen St # 104 – Glen Cove, NY 11542 – (516) 671-5800
Sam Ziegel Agency – 24 Pembroke Dr – Glen Cove, NY 11542 – (516) 676-6600
Vanbar Insurance Brokerage – 25 Village Sq – Glen Cove, NY 11542 – (516) 246-7950
These agents can only provide pricing for a single company such as Allstate and State Farm. Captive agencies are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so they really need to provide good service. Captive agents are usually well trained on their products and sales techniques which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Below is a short list of captive insurance agencies in Glen Cove that are able to give rate quotes.
Allstate Insurance Co – 10 School St – Glen Cove, NY 11542 – (516) 674-0600
To locate agents near you, you can click for a list of car insurance agencies in Glen Cove.
Finding a good insurance agency shouldn’t rely on just the quoted price. Here are some questions you should ask.
- How many years have they been established?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in New York?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Do they offer rental car reimbursement?
Cheaper car insurance rates are out there
When searching for , make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many situations where an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that the savings was not a smart move. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price and still be able to protect your assets.
We covered some good ideas how you can reduce car insurance rates online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. Consumers may even find the lowest rates come from a small local company. Smaller companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates compared to the large companies like Allstate and Progressive.
More information is available on the New York Department of Financial Services website. Click here for link. Consumers can read industry bulletins, download brochures, read consumer alerts, and view agent and company licensing information.