Paying for high-priced car insurance can empty your checking account, especially in this economy. Doing a price comparison is free and is an excellent way to help make ends meet.
Lots of insurers contend for your insurance dollar, so it can be very hard to choose a insurance company and get the best coverage at the lowest rate
If you have car insurance now, you will most likely be able to save some money using these methods. Finding affordable coverage in Greenwood is quite easy. Nevertheless, Delaware vehicle owners can benefit by having an understanding of how big insurance companies sell insurance online.
Greenwood Car Insurance Prices Online
There are several ways of comparing rate quotes and find the best price. The quickest method to find the cheapest insurance rates is to perform an online rate comparison. It is quite easy and can be accomplished in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
- The single most time-saving way to compare a lot of rates at once would be an industry-wide quote request form (click to open form in new window). This type of form keeps you from doing separate quotes for every car insurance company. A single, simple form will return quotes from multiple low-cost companies.
- A more difficult way to compare rate quotes requires you to visit each company’s website to request a price quote. For sake of this example, let’s assume you want comparison quotes from GEICO, 21st Century and GMAC. To find out each rate you need to go to every website to input your insurance information, and that’s why the first method is more popular. To view a list of companies in Greenwood, click here.
- The least efficient method of comparing rate quotes is to drive around to different Greenwood agent offices. The internet eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you require the professional guidance of a local Greenwood agent. It is possible to compare online quotes but buy from a local insurance agent.
Whichever way you use, compare apples-to-apples information with every price quote. If the quotes have different deductibles it will be next to impossible to truly determine the lowest rate in Greenwood. Slightly different limits could mean much higher rates. Just keep in mind that more quotes helps locate the best price.
How much can you save with discounts?
Car insurance is not cheap, but you can get discounts that you may not know about. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time you complete a quote, but a few must be manually applied prior to receiving the credit.
- Life Insurance Discount – Some companies give a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Early Signing – Some companies give discounts for switching policies prior to your current policy expiration. This can save 10% or more.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a defensive driving course could save 5% or more if you qualify.
- New Vehicle Savings – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can be considerably cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Air Bag Discount – Factory air bags or automatic seat belts may earn rate discounts of up to 25% or more.
- 55 and Retired – Older drivers may be able to get a discount up to 10%.
- Seat Belts Save – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
It’s important to note that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So when it seems like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won’t be that lucky. But any discount will reduce the amount you have to pay.
To see a list of companies who offer car insurance discounts in Greenwood, click here to view.
Online quotes with a local Greenwood insurance agent
A small number of people prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is OK! The biggest benefit of comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from local insurance agencies is especially important in Greenwood.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents in Greenwood who will give you bids to get your business. You don’t have to leave your house as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. It doesn’t get any easier! Get lower rates and a licensed agent to work with.
Types of insurance agencies in Greenwood
When searching for a reliable agent, there are two types of agencies from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Greenwood are categorized either captive or independent.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents are not employed by any specific company so they have the ability to put coverage with many different companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. If you are not satisfied with one company, your agent can switch companies without you having to go to a different agency. When searching for an agent, you should always include at least one independent agent to have the most options to choose from.
Shown below are Greenwood independent agents that can give you competitive price quotes.
L and M Insurance – 100 Mill St – Greenwood, DE 19950 – (302) 349-5003
This type of agents are contracted to one company and examples are AAA, Allstate, State Farm, Farmers Insurance or Liberty Mutual. These agents are not able to provide prices from multiple companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Captive agencies receive extensive training on the products they sell which helps them compete with independent agents.
Choosing an insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Some important questions to ask are:
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
After getting acceptable answers to your questions and a good coverage price, most likely you have located a car insurance agent that can properly service your car insurance policy.
Components of your insurance rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the factors that help determine the price you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that could result in big savings.
- High numbers of claims are not good – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can look forward to higher rates. Companies in Delaware award cheaper rates to policyholders who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Insurance coverage is intended for larger claims.
- Is your vehicle built for speed? – The performance level of the vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a substantial difference in the rate you pay. The lowest rates are generally reserved for low performance passenger models, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Your car insurance rates can be influenced by your job – Did you know that where you work can have an impact on rates? Jobs such as lawyers, social workers and accountants tend to pay higher rates than average because of high stress and lots of time spent at work. On the flip side, professions such as actors, athletes and homemakers have the lowest average rates.
- Better credit means lower rates – A driver’s credit rating is a big factor in calculating your car insurance rates. Drivers who have good credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit scores. Therefore, if your credit can use some improvement, you could be paying less to insure your by improving your rating.
- One company can mean more discounts – Many insurers will award you with lower prices to insureds who buy several policies from them, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. If you currently are using one company, it’s in your best interest to shop around to ensure the best deal.
- Adjust deductibles and save – Physical damage coverage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, is used to repair damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply would be running into the backend of another car, damage from fire, and rolling your vehicle. Deductibles for physical damage are how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. The more money you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
A tidy conclusion
When trying to cut insurance costs, don’t be tempted to buy poor coverage just to save money. In many instances, an insured cut collision coverage to discover at claim time that it was a big error on their part. Your goal should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price, not the least amount of coverage.
Cost effective car insurance can be purchased both online and also from your neighborhood Greenwood agents, and you should be comparing both to have the best selection. Some car insurance companies may not provide you the ability to get quotes online and these small insurance companies work with independent agents.
Delaware insurance information
Much more information about car insurance in Delaware can be found on the website for the Delaware Department of Insurance located here. Delaware drivers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, file complaints about a company, and read industry bulletins.
The following articles may also be useful.