Are you overwhelmed by the number of auto insurance choices in Pasadena? You’re not the only one! You have so many choices that it can turn into a real challenge to locate the lowest price.
Buying more affordable coverage in Pasadena is quite easy. Basically, every vehicle owner who shops for auto insurance stands a good chance to be able to cut their insurance bill. Although California vehicle owners must know how big insurance companies determine prices and apply this information to your search.
Don’t miss these discounts
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but you can get discounts to cut the cost considerably. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you get a quote, but a few must be requested specifically prior to getting the savings.
- Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down could qualify for better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching to them prior to your current policy expiring. The savings is around 10%.
- Theft Prevention System – Anti-theft and alarm systems help deter theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Senior Discount – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may be able to get better auto insurance rates.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags can receive discounts up to 30%.
- Military Discounts – Being deployed with a military unit may qualify for rate reductions.
- Multiple Policy Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same company you will save approximately 10% to 15%.
It’s important to understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. So even though they make it sound like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it doesn’t quite work that way. But any discount will bring down the cost of coverage.
Pasadena Rates are Influenced by These Factors
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that play a part in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what influences your rates allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
- Men are more aggressive – Statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. However, don’t assume that women are better drivers. Women and men tend to get into accidents at about the same rate, but the male of the species cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also tend to receive more costly citations like DUI and reckless driving.
- Higher deductibles cost less – Physical damage deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend before your auto insurance pays a claim. Coverage for physical damage, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your car from damage. Examples of covered claims could be colliding with a building, damage caused by hail, and burglary. The higher the amount you’re willing to pay, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- No coverage gaps is important – Driving your car without having proper coverage is a misdemeanor and you will pay a penalty because you let your insurance expire. And not only will your rates increase, but not being able to provide proof of insurance might get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
- Policy add-ons can waste money – There are a ton of extra coverages that you can buy if you aren’t careful. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and membership fees may be costing you every month. They may seem good at first, but your needs may have changed so eliminate them to save money.
- Where you live – Residing in a rural area can save you money when it comes to auto insurance. Less people living in that area translates into fewer accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. City drivers have to deal with traffic congestion and longer commute times. More time on the road translates into higher accident risk.
- Small claims can cost you – If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to higher rates. Insurance companies in California provide better rates to people who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is meant to be used in the event of larger claims.
When might I need the advice of an agent?
When buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a perfect coverage plan. Each situation is unique.
For example, these questions can aid in determining whether you will benefit from professional help.
- What are California no-fault laws?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Is there coverage for injuries to my pets?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving my company car?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Neighborhood insurance agents
Some people just want to sit down with an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the great benefits of comparing insurance prices online is you may find the best rates but also keep your business local. And providing support for local businesses is important especially in Pasadena.
By using this short form, your information is immediately sent to insurance agents in Pasadena who will battle for your business. There is no need to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go directly to your email. How’s that for easy! It’s the lowest rates AND a local agent.
Captive agents vs. Independent agents
When researching a good Pasadena insurance agent, you must know there are a couple types of agencies that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Pasadena agents are classified as either independent (non-captive) or captive.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company but instead can place your coverage with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. To move your coverage to a new company, your agent can switch companies without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing rates, it’s recommended you get quotes from several independent insurance agents to have the most options to choose from.Most can insure with smaller companies who may have lower rates.
Below are independent agents in Pasadena willing to provide price quote information.
- John Baxter Insurance/Finance – 245 S Los Robles Ave – Pasadena, CA 91101 – (626) 440-5101
- Murphy Michael Insurance Svc – 301 E Colorado Blvd # 200 – Pasadena, CA 91101 – (626) 799-9017
- John Rieger Agency – 1000 E Walnut St # 222 – Pasadena, CA 91106 – (626) 792-6937
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agents are contracted to one company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Captive agencies are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage. Some consumers prefer to buy from captive agents primarily because of the brand legacy and strong financial ratings.
Shown below is a short list of captive insurance agents in Pasadena that can give you rate quotes.
- Farmers Insurance Group – 2500 E Foothill Blvd # 205 – Pasadena, CA 91107 – (626) 405-0608
- Allstate Insurance – 424 N Lake Ave # 101 – Pasadena, CA 91101 – (626) 229-9314
- State Farm Insurance – 739 E Walnut St # 103 – Pasadena, CA 91101 – (626) 449-8096
For a complete listing of Pasadena captive agencies, click here to link.
Picking an insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just the premium amount. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in California?
- How long has their agency been open in Pasadena?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
After receiving positive feedback and locked in a price quote, you may have just found an insurance agent that will provide auto insurance coverage.
Can you really save $484 a year?
Auto insurance companies such as Allstate, GEICO and Progressive continually stream ads in print and on television. They all seem to have a common claim about savings after switching to their company. How does each company make almost identical claims? It’s all in the numbers.
Different companies have a certain “appetite” for the type of driver that earns them a profit. For example, a driver they prefer could possibly be over the age of 50, has no prior claims, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. A customer getting a price quote that hits that “sweet spot” is entitled to the best price and therefore will save when they switch companies.
Consumers who don’t measure up to these standards will have to pay higher rates and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads state “customers that switch” not “people who quote” save money. That is how insurance companies can state the savings.
Because of the profiling, drivers should compare many company’s rates. It’s not possible to predict which company will give you the biggest savings.
Additional consumer information websites
Additional auto insurance information is available on the California Department of Insurance website located here. Consumers can read consumer alerts, find disaster information, and learn about insurance regulations.
Quote often and quote early
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not buy poor coverage just to save money. In many instances, an accident victim reduced collision coverage and found out when filing a claim they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your strategy should be to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
We just covered many ideas to save on auto insurance. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the most savings is with a small local company.
Cheaper auto insurance is available on the web and also from your neighborhood Pasadena agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best rate selection. There are still a few companies who may not provide the ability to get a quote online and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.