I really doubt anyone enjoys paying for car insurance, especially knowing the cost is too high. Insurance companies such as State Farm and GEICO all claim big savings with ads and it is challenging if not impossible to ignore the promise of big savings and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
It’s a good habit to get comparison quotes on a regular basis since insurance rates tend to go up over time. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rate two years ago a different company probably has better prices today. There is lot of inaccurate information about car insurance online, but I’m going to show you some guaranteed methods to lower your car insurance rates.
Earn discounts on Westminster car insurance
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always list all disounts in an easy-to-find place, so the next list breaks down both the well known and also the lesser-known discounts that you may qualify for.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Renewal Discounts – Select car insurance companies give a discount for switching companies before your current policy expires. You may see this discount when you get .
- Senior Citizen Discount – Seniors can get reduced rates.
- Driver Education Discount – Have your child enroll and complete driver’s education as it can save substantially.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more than their less cautious counterparts.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Driving fewer miles could earn better prices on cars that stay parked.
- Homeowners Savings – Just owning your own home can save a few bucks because maintaining a house means you have a higher level of financial diligence.
- No Claim Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents and claims have much lower rates as opposed to accident-prone drivers.
- Government Employee Discount – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- Payment Discounts – By paying your entire bill at once rather than spreading payments over time you can avoid monthly service charges.
Discounts reduce rates, but you should keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though you would think all the discounts add up to a free policy, you’re out of luck.
For a list of car insurance companies who offer discounts in Westminster, click this link.
Components of your auto insurance premiums
It’s important that you understand the different types of things that play a part in calculating your policy premiums. When consumers understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this helps enable you to make changes that can earn you lower car insurance prices. Many factors are part of the equation when premium rates are determined. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, although some other factors are less obvious like your vehicle usage or your vehicle rating.
- Combine policies and save money – Most companies apply better rates to buyers that buy multiple policies in the form of a multi-policy discount. Discounts can amount to ten or even fifteen percent. Even with this discount, consumers should still comparison shop to verify if the discount is saving money. Drivers may still find lower rates by buying from different companies
- Frequent policy claims will increase rates – Companies in California generally give the lowest premiums to policyholders who are not frequent claim filers. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can pretty much guarantee higher rates. Auto insurance is designed for claims that pose a financial burden.
- Raising coverage deductibles saves money – Coverage for physical damage, also called ‘full coverage’, protects your car from damage. Examples of covered claims could be colliding with a building, vandalism, and burglary. Comp and collision deductibles are the amount of money you are willing to pay before a claim is paid by your company. The more of the claim the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be.
- Teenagers are high risk – Teen drivers in California have been known to be inattentive and easily distracted behind the wheel so car insurance rates are higher. Parents adding a inexperienced driver onto a policy can really hurt. Older insureds are viewed as being more responsible, cost insurance companies less in claims and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
Tailor your car insurance coverage to you
When buying adequate coverage, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Each situation is unique and your policy should reflect that. For instance, these questions can aid in determining whether or not you would benefit from professional advice.
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- When should I not file a claim?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my vehicle to commute?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and can help protect your family.
More California car insurance resources
More detailed California car insurance information can be read at the California Department of Insurance website. California consumers can report car insurance fraud, view a list of available companies, find out which companies have the most complaints, and read consumer alerts.
The following information may also be useful.
- Westminster Colorado Auto Insurance For Less Than Youre Paying Now
- Westminster, CO Insurance Agencies Five Minutes to Find the Best
Smart consumers save more
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can save on car insurance. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from the least-expected company. These companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than their larger competitors like Progressive and GEICO.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, make sure you don’t buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many instances, consumers will sacrifice full coverage and learned later that the savings was not a smart move. The goal is to find the BEST coverage at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.