No one likes having to buy car insurance, in particular when the cost is way too high. Companies like GEICO, Progressive and Allstate constantly bombard you with TV and radio ads and it is difficult to ignore the flying pigs and cute green geckos and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
It’s a great practice to compare rates periodically since rates trend upward over time. Even if you think you had the best deal six months ago you can probably find a better price now. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because you’re about to find out the best methods to find better coverage at a better price.
Compare the Market for Car Insurance in Hillsboro, North Dakota
Finding lower car insurance rates can be relatively painless. The only requirement is to take the time to get quotes from different insurance companies. This can be done in just a few minutes using one of these methods.
The best way consumers can make multiple comparisons is a comparison rater form (click to open form in new window). This form eliminates the need for separate quotes for each company you want a rate for. In just a few minutes this one form gets you coverage quotes instantly.
A slightly less efficient method to find lower rates requires a visit to each company’s website and fill out their own quote form. For example, let’s say you want rates from USAA, 21st Century and GEICO. To get rate quotes you would need to visit each site and enter your policy data, which is why the first method is quicker.
For a handy list of car insurance company links in Hillsboro, click here.
However you get your quotes, make darn sure you compare the exact same coverages with every price quote. If you enter different limits and deductibles on each one it will be next to impossible to make an equal comparison in Hillsboro.
Don’t overlook these discounts
Car insurance companies don’t always advertise every available discount very well, so we took the time to find both well-publicized and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using. If you don’t get every credit available, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Cars that have air bags may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- New Car Discount – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can save up to 30% since new cars are generally safer.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a family member in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Anti-theft Discount – Anti-theft and alarm systems are stolen less frequently and will save you 10% or more.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Select companies give a discount for signing up before your current expiration date. The savings is around 10%.
- Driver Safety – Taking part in a defensive driving course can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- Homeowners Savings – Being a homeowner can help you save on car insurance because of the fact that having a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Student in College – Kids in college who live away from home and don’t have a car may be able to be covered for less.
A little note about advertised discounts, most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
For a list of providers offering car insurance discounts in North Dakota, click here.
Components of your insurance rates
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Knowing what influences your rates helps enable you to make changes that can help you get much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are some of the factors that factor into your rates.
- Performance level impacts rates – The performance level of the vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a huge difference in your rates. The lowest base rates are usually for low performance passenger models, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Being married is a good thing – Having a wife or husband can get you a discount on your car insurance policy. Marriage translates into being more mature and responsible and it’s statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- Increase deductibles and save – Coverage for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered would be colliding with a building, damage from fire, and windstorm damage. The deductibles are how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if you file a covered claim. The more the insured has to pay upfront, the lower your rates will be.
- Do you have enough liability coverage? – Liability coverage provides coverage if you are found liable for damages from an accident. It provides you with a defense in court starting from day one. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not cut corners here.
- Women pay lower rates – Statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. Now that doesn’t mean women are better drivers. Both sexes cause accidents at a similar rate, but the men tend to have more serious accidents. Men also statistically have more aggressive citations like DUI and reckless driving.
- How credit affects car insurance rates – Your credit history is a important factor in determining your rates. If your credit is not that good, you could be paying less to insure your by improving your rating. Drivers with high credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records as compared to drivers with lower credit scores.
Are car insurance companies telling the truth?
North Dakota drivers can’t get away from ads for cheaper car insurance from companies such as GEICO, State Farm and Progressive. All the ads have a common claim that you can save after switching your policy.
But how can every company say the same thing?
All companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that makes them money. An example of a profitable customer might be between the ages of 30 and 50, has no tickets, and drives newer vehicles. Any new insured that hits that “sweet spot” will get the preferred rates and is almost guaranteed to save a lot of money.
Drivers who fall outside these standards will be charged higher prices and this can result in the customer not buying. The ads state “customers that switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that kind of money. That’s the way insurance companies can advertise the savings. That is why drivers must get as many comparisons as possible. It is impossible to predict the company that will give you the biggest savings.
And the best car insurance company is…
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s not a good idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. In many instances, drivers have reduced liability coverage limits only to discover later that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at a price you can afford.
You just learned many ways to save on car insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies. Some small companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
More tips and info about car insurance is available at the North Dakota Insurance Department website. North Dakota consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, view agent and company licensing information, and file complaints about a company.
More related Hillsboro car insurance information: