Paying for high-priced auto insurance can empty your bank account and make it hard to pay other bills. Comparison shopping is free, only takes a few minutes, and is a good way to help make ends meet. Because you have many insurance companies to choose from, it is very difficult to locate the cheapest car insurance company.
It’s a good habit to take a look at other company’s rates once or twice a year because rates trend upward over time. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest rates a few years ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. You can find a lot of wrong information about auto insurance online, so we’re going to give you some good information on how to save money.
Buying affordable auto insurance in Moscow is not that difficult. If you have a policy now or need a new policy, you can follow these tips to get lower rates while maintaining coverages. Idaho vehicle owners just need to understand the most effective way to shop online.
Factors that affect insurance rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that go into determining the rates you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to big savings.
- Optional equipment can affect rates – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft features like vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all aid in stopping your car from being stolen.
- A lapse in coverage is a bad thing – Letting your insurance expire is a fast way to trigger a rate increase. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in a license revocation or jail time.You may then be required to file a SR-22 with the Idaho motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Men pay higher rates – Statistics demonstrate women are more cautious behind the wheel. Now that doesn’t mean women are BETTER drivers than men. Men and women cause accidents at a similar rate, but the male of the species tend to have more serious accidents. Men also tend to get more serious tickets like DUI and reckless driving.
- Where you live – Living in a rural area has it’s advantages when it comes to auto insurance. Lower population means fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Urban drivers have to deal with congested traffic and a longer drive to work. More time on the road translates into higher accident risk.
- You might want pay the small claims yourself – Companies in Idaho award lower rates to people who do not file claims often. If you frequently file small claims, you can pretty much guarantee either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Car insurance is intended to be relied upon for larger claims.
How to Get Auto Insurance in Moscow
Reducing your insurance rates is actually quite simple. You just have to spend a little time to compare quotes online from several insurance companies. This can be accomplished in a couple of different ways.
- Probably the best way to compare a lot of rates at once would be an industry-wide quote request form like this one (opens in new window). This type of form prevents you from having to do repetitive form entry for each company you want a rate for. Filling out one form gets rate comparisons from all major companies.
- A more difficult way to get comparison quotes requires a trip to each company’s website to complete a price quote. For instance, we’ll assume you want to compare State Farm, Esurance and Geico. To find out each rate you need to take the time to go to each site and enter your information, which is why the first method is more popular. To view a list of companies in Moscow, click here.
- The least recommended method to get comparison rates is to spend time driving to and from local Moscow insurance agencies. Buying insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you prefer the professional guidance that only a license agent can provide. You can, however, get the lowest quotes online but still have the advice of a local agent and you’ll learn how to do that later.
Whichever method you choose, make absolute certain that you use exactly the same deductibles and coverage limits with every price quote. If you compare different values for each quote you will not be able to determine which rate is truly the best in Moscow.
Do auto insurance companies bend the truth?
Consumers in Idaho can’t get away from ads for cheaper car insurance from companies such as Allstate, Geico and Progressive. All the companies make an identical promise that you can save if you move your policy.
But how can every company claim to save you money? It’s all in the numbers.
All the different companies have a preferred profile for the type of driver that earns them a profit. For example, a profitable customer might be over the age of 40, a clean driving record, and has a high credit rating. Any driver that hits that “sweet spot” receives the best rates and as a result will probably pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Potential insureds who don’t qualify for this ideal profile will be quoted higher prices which leads to the customer not buying. The ads say “people who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save money. That’s why companies can truthfully claim big savings.
This emphasizes why drivers should quote coverage with many companies. It’s just too difficult to predict which company will fit your personal profile best.
Are you getting all your discounts?
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, buy you may qualify for discounts that can drop the cost substantially. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time you complete a quote, but a few need to be specially asked for before being credited. If they aren’t giving you every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- Multiple Cars – Buying coverage for all your vehicles on the same auto insurance policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- No Charge for an Accident – A few companies permit an accident before your rates go up if you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time rather than paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- Memberships – Being a member of a professional or civic organization could trigger savings on auto insurance.
- Save over 55 – Mature drivers can possibly qualify for reduced rates.
- Military Discounts – Having a deployed family member could mean lower rates.
- Drivers Education – Have your child successfully complete driver’s ed class if it’s offered in school.
- Auto/Home Discount – When you have multiple policies with the same company you may earn approximately 10% to 15%.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Safe drivers may save up to 50% more than drivers with accident claims.
- Distant Student – Children who attend school more than 100 miles from home and do not have a car may be able to be covered for less.
Keep in mind that most credits do not apply the the whole policy. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies don’t profit that way. Any amount of discount will reduce your premiums.
To choose insurers with the best auto insurance discounts in Moscow, follow this link.
Won’t my local insurance agent miss me?
Some people prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is OK! Insurance agents can point out coverage gaps and help submit paperwork. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain the lowest rates and still choose a local agent. And supporting local agencies is important especially in Moscow.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this simple form, your insurance data is transmitted to local insurance agents who will compete to get your business. There is no reason to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. Now that’s easy!
Types of insurance agents
When searching for a local agent, you need to know there are two different types of agents to choose from. Insurance agencies in Moscow are classified as either independent (non-captive) or captive. Both properly insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn how they differ since it can impact buying decisions.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company but instead can place your coverage amongst many companies enabling the ability to shop coverage around. To move your coverage to a new company, the agent simply finds a different carrier without you having to go to a different agency.
When searching for an agent, you should always include price quotes from at least one independent agent for maximum quote selection.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Moscow that are able to give price quote information.
Kuespert Insurance – 505 N Main St – Moscow, ID 83843 – (208) 882-0613
David A Uberuaga Insurance – 104 E 6th St – Moscow, ID 83843 – (208) 883-0738
Captive Insurance Agents
This type of agents have only one company to place business with like Liberty Mutual, Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. These agents are not able to provide prices from multiple companies so always compare other rates. Captive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales which can be an advantage.
Shown below are captive insurance agencies in Moscow willing to provide price quote information.
Farm Bureau Insurance – 530 S Asbury St # 3 – Moscow, ID 83843 – (208) 882-1531
Allstate Insurance – 106 S Washington St – Moscow, ID 83843 – (208) 883-8833
State Farm Insurance – 502 S Jefferson St – Moscow, ID 83843 – (208) 882-8921
To view a complete directory of captive agents in Moscow, view this link.
Picking an auto insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the bottom line cost. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- If they are an independent agency, which companies do they recommend?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Idaho?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- What insurance companies do they work with?
Upon getting answers to your satisfaction to your questions and a good coverage price, you’ve probably found an insurance agency that meets your needs to properly service your auto insurance policy.
Everyone needs different coverages
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Each situation is unique so this has to be addressed. Here are some questions about coverages that can help discover if you could use an agent’s help.
- Do I need higher deductibles?
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It is quick, free and can help protect your family.
Much more information about auto insurance in Idaho can be read on the website for the Idaho Department of Insurance. Click here for link. Consumers can find out industry alerts, view agent and company licensing information, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.
Affordable insurance is out there
In this article, we presented some good ideas how you can lower your auto insurance rates. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even find the lowest priced auto insurance comes from an unexpected company. Some small companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive and Geico.
Cost effective auto insurance can be found on the web in addition to many Moscow insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies do not provide the ability to get a quote online and these smaller companies work with independent agents.