No one in their right mind likes having to buy auto insurance, in particular when their premiums are too high.
Consumers have many insurers to insure vehicles with, and even though it’s nice to be able to choose, so many choices can make it hard to find the lowest cost provider.
Automobile Insurance Quotes in Natchez
There are a variety of methods to shop for auto insurance, but there is one way that is more efficient than others. You could waste time talking to agents in Natchez, or you can utilize online quotes to get prices fast.
All the larger companies take part in a program where prospective buyers complete one form, and at least one company returns a rated price for coverage. This system prevents you from having to do form submissions for each company you want a rate for. To find out what other companies charge click here (opens in new window).
The one disadvantage to doing it this way is that you can’t choose which companies you want pricing from. So if you prefer to choose specific providers to compare rates, we have a page of low cost auto insurance companies in Mississippi. Click to view list.
It doesn’t matter which method you choose, just be sure to compare exactly the same quote information with each company. If you use differing limits it’s impossible to truly determine the lowest rate in Natchez. Quoting even small variations in limits can result in a big premium difference. And when quoting auto insurance, remember that obtaining a wide range of quotes helps locate a lower rate.
Natchez Rates are Influenced by These Factors
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that play a part in calculating your auto insurance rates. Having a good understanding of what influences your rates enables informed choices that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are some of the factors auto insurance companies consider when setting rates.
- Safer occupants lowers premiums – Safer cars can get you lower premiums. The safest vehicles protect occupants better and fewer injuries means lower claim amounts and lower rates for you.
- Never allow your policy to lapse – Driving without insurance is against the law and auto insurance companies will penalize you for letting your coverage have a gap. Not only will you pay more, but being ticketed for driving with no insurance may earn you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.You may need to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Mississippi DMV.
- The more you drive the more you pay – The more you drive every year the more you will pay for auto insurance. The majority of insurers price each vehicle’s coverage based on how the vehicle is used. Cars left parked in the garage qualify for better rates compared to those used for work or business. Make sure your auto insurance policy properly reflects the correct driver usage.
- Poor driving leads to higher costs – Your driving citation history has a big impact on rates. Just one speeding ticket can bump up the cost forty percent or more. Drivers who don’t get tickets receive lower rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Drivers who have severe citations such as DUI or reckless driving may need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with the DMV in their state in order to drive a vehicle legally.
- Do you need the policy add-ons? – There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that you can get tricked into buying on your auto insurance policy. Things like roadside assistance, accidental death and membership fees are some examples. These may sound like a good investment when you first buy your policy, but your needs may have changed so remove them from your policy.
Verify you’re getting all your discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there are discounts available that you may not even be aware of. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be asked for before you get the savings.
- Early Switch Discount – Some insurance companies reward drivers for signing up prior to your current policy expiration. It’s a savings of about 10%.
- Accident Waiver – A handful of insurance companies allow you one accident before your rates go up if you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking part in a course in driver safety can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- College Student – Children who are attending college and don’t have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Sign Online – Some insurance companies may give you up to $50 for buying your policy on their website.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So when it seems like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you won’t be that lucky. But all discounts will bring down the amount you have to pay.
When should I talk to an agent?
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s needs are different so this has to be addressed. For example, these questions might point out if your insurance needs might need professional guidance.
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- What are Mississippi no-fault laws?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
If you can’t answer these questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
More comparisons equals lower rates
While you’re price shopping online, it’s a bad idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where drivers have reduced collision coverage only to regret at claim time that they should have had better coverage. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
In this article, we covered quite a bit of information on how to lower your auto insurance rates. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. You may be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from the smaller companies. They can often provide lower rates in certain areas compared to the large companies like State Farm or Progressive.
Low-cost auto insurance is available from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Natchez, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. A few companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.
For more information
More information can be found on the website for the Mississippi Insurance Department through this link. Consumers can download brochures, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.