Searching for the lowest cost Salem auto insurance over the internet can be rather challenging for consumers not familiar with comparing rates online. Since there are so many companies competing online, how can you possibly compare every company to locate the best pricing?
How to Compare Auto Insurance Costs in Salem
There are a variety of methods to compare auto insurance quotes, but one way is less time-consuming than others. You could spend the better part of a day discussing policy coverages with insurance agencies in Salem, or you can stay home and use online quoting to get rates in a matter of minutes.
Most major companies are enrolled in a marketplace where prospective buyers send in one quote, and at least one company provides a quote determined by their information. This system prevents you from having to do form submissions to each company.
To find out how much you’re overpaying now click here (opens in new window).
The one downside to getting quotes like this is buyers cannot specifically choose the providers to get quotes from. So if you prefer to pick specific providers for rate comparison, we put together a list of low cost auto insurance companies in Massachusetts. View list of Massachusetts insurance companies.
It’s up to you which method you use, but ensure you are comparing exactly the same coverage limits and deductibles for every company. If you are comparing different values for each quote it’s not possible to determine the best price in Salem. Just a small difference in insurance coverages may result in a large different in cost. Keep in mind that getting more free quotes helps locate the best price.
Can you really save that much by switching?
Companies like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO regularly use television and radio advertisements. All the ads make the same claim that you can save if you move your policy. How do they all say the same thing? It’s all in the numbers.
All the different companies have a certain “appetite” for the driver that makes them money. For instance, a preferred risk might be profiled as a mature driver, insures multiple vehicles, and has great credit. A customer getting a price quote who meets those qualifications receives the best rates and as a result will probably save quite a bit of money when switching.
Drivers who don’t qualify for these standards will be quoted higher premiums which usually ends up with business going elsewhere. The ad wording is “customers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much money. That’s the way insurance companies can confidently advertise the way they do.
This emphasizes why you absolutely need to compare many company’s rates. It’s not possible to predict which auto insurance company will give you the biggest savings.
Save big with these discounts
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but you may find discounts to help bring down the price. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you complete an application, but some may not be applied and must be specifically requested in order for you to get them.
- Senior Discount – Older drivers may be able to get reduced rates.
- Payment Method – By paying your policy upfront rather than paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- Safety Course Discount – Successfully completing a course in driver safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount if you qualify.
- Club Memberships – Participating in a qualifying organization is a good way to get lower rates when buying auto insurance.
- Driver’s Ed – Have your child complete a driver education course in school.
- Federal Government Employee – Being employed by or retired from a federal job may qualify you for a discount depending on your company.
- Seat Belts Save – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Keeping the miles down could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Sign Early and Save – Some companies give discounts for switching policies before your current policy expires. It can save you around 10%.
A little note about advertised discounts, some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So when the math indicates it’s possible to get free car insurance, it just doesn’t work that way. Any qualifying discounts will reduce your premiums.
For a list of insurance companies with discount auto insurance rates in Salem, click this link.
But I don’t know anything about car insurance
When choosing the right insurance coverage, there is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s needs are different.
Here are some questions about coverages that can aid in determining if your situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I have coverage when using my vehicle for my home business?
- Do I need higher deductibles?
- I have good health insurance, so how much medical payments coverage do I need?
- Is Massachusetts a no-fault state?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Am I covered when delivering products for my home-based business?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form.
Much more information about auto insurance in Massachusetts is available on the Massachusetts Division of Insurance website located here. Massachusetts consumers can find a variety of consumer forms, read consumer alerts, and find out industry alerts.
More related Salem auto insurance information:
People switch companies for a number of reasons such as lack of trust in their agent, not issuing a premium refund, high prices or even being labeled a high risk driver. Regardless of your reason, finding a new company can be easy and end up saving you some money.
We just covered quite a bit of information on how to get a better price on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Drivers may discover the best prices are with a small local company.
Discount auto insurance is possible from both online companies and with local Salem insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who do not offer online quoting and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.