Locating cheaper Delta auto insurance can be somewhat intimidating for beginners to comparison shopping on the internet. With literally dozens of online companies available, how can Delta drivers have a chance to compare all the different companies and get better prices?
Smart consumers take time to check auto insurance prices periodically since prices change quite often. Just because you had the lowest price at your last renewal other companies may now be cheaper. There is lot of inaccurate information about auto insurance out there, but in just a couple of minutes you can learn some great ways to buy auto insurance cheaper.
If you are paying for car insurance now, you should be able to save some money using this strategy. This information will familiarize you with the best way to quote coverages and some tricks to saving. Nevertheless, Utah consumers should learn how companies determine prices and apply this information to your search.
Discounts can really help save money
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but you may find discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. A few discounts will automatically apply when you quote, but some must be specifically requested before you will receive the discount.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or former government employment can save as much as 8% but check with your company.
- ABS Braking Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can avoid accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Multi-policy Discount – If you can combine your auto and home policy and place coverage with the same company you may save over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Responsible Driver Discount – Insureds who avoid accidents can save as much as half off their rates than drivers with accidents.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Not all auto insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a lower rate if you buy life insurance.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though you would think all the discounts add up to a free policy, it’s just not the way it works. But all discounts will lower your policy premium.
Companies and a partial list of their discounts can be read below.
- State Farm may offer discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, good student, driver’s education, Drive Safe & Save, and good driver.
- GEICO offers premium reductions for anti-theft, defensive driver, military active duty, seat belt use, and driver training.
- Liberty Mutual has discounts for new vehicle discount, new graduate, newly retired, safety features, good student, and new move discount.
- The Hartford may have discounts that include good student, driver training, defensive driver, vehicle fuel type, and air bag.
- MetLife discounts include good student, claim-free, accident-free, good driver, defensive driver, multi-policy
- Progressive includes discounts for good student, online quote discount, continuous coverage, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
If you want , ask each company or agent which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts may not apply to policies everywhere. To see a list of insurers that offer the discounts shown above in Delta, click this link.
Why informed drivers pay less for insurance in Delta
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the factors that come into play when calculating the level of your policy premiums. When you understand what influences your rates, this enables informed choices that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices. Many factors are used when quoting car insurance. A few of the factors are predictable like a motor vehicle report, but other factors are not as apparent such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
- Policy add-ons could be costing you – There are a lot of extra add-on coverages that sound like a good idea at the time if you don’t pay attention. Things like replacement cost coverage, death and dismemberment, and extra life insurance coverage may be costing you every month. They may sound like good ideas when you first buy your policy, but if they’re wasting money eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Safer occupants lowers premiums – Cars with high safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. The safest vehicles have better occupant injury protection and fewer serious injuries means less claims paid which can mean better rates for you. If your car scored at minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website it is probably cheaper to insure.
- The type of car you drive affects your costs – The performance of the car or truck you drive makes a huge difference in your car insurance bill. Lower cost passenger models generally receive the lowest base rates, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
- How many miles do you drive? – The more you drive your car annually the more it will cost to insure it. A lot of companies rate vehicles based on their usage. Autos that are left in the garage receive lower rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. It’s always a good idea to double check that your auto insurance policy shows the correct usage for each vehicle, because it can save money.
- Deter theft and save money – Buying a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can help bring down rates. Anti-theft devices like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all help stop your car from being stolen.
- Lower prices with continuous coverage – Having a lapse in insurance coverage will be a guaranteed way to increase your rates. And not only will insurance be more expensive, getting caught without coverage may earn you a steep fine or even jail time. You may have to prove you have insurance by filing a SR-22 with the Utah motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Married drivers pay less – Being married can actually save you money when buying auto insurance. Having a spouse usually means you are more mature than a single person and statistics prove married couples file fewer claims.
More resources for learning
More information is available on the website for the Utah Insurance Department. Click here for link. Utah consumers can find out industry alerts, learn about insurance regulations, read state legal mandates and laws, and file complaints about a company.
The articles below may also help you learn more about auto insurance in Delta
One last thing about your coverage
Some insurance providers may not provide online rate quotes and these smaller providers sell through independent insurance agents. Cost effective auto insurance can be found from both online companies and from local insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, you should never buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many cases, an accident victim reduced collision coverage only to regret that the savings was not a smart move. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the lowest possible cost.
In this article, we presented a lot of information how to shop for auto insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more price quotes you have, the better your comparison will be. You may be surprised to find that the lowest prices are with a lesser-known regional company.