Are you sick and tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul to buy car insurance? You’re in the same situation as many other Kansas drivers.
Companies like GEICO, Farmers Insurance and State Farm continually hit you with catchy ads and it is challenging if not impossible to see past the corporate glitz and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
If you have car insurance now, you should be able to lower your premiums substantially using this strategy. Choosing the best insurance company for you in Shawnee is not that difficult. Nevertheless, Kansas car owners do need to know how the larger insurance companies sell online and apply this information to your search.
Automobile Insurance Quotes in Shawnee
The are a couple different ways of comparing rates and find the best price. The recommended way to compare insurance prices involves getting comparison quotes online. This can be done using a couple different methods.
- One of the simplest ways to get quotes is to use a rate comparison form click here to open form in new window. This method saves time by eliminating separate forms to each individual car insurance company. Taking the time to complete one form will return price quotes instantly.
- A different way to get quotes online consists of going to each company website and fill out their own quote form. For examples sake, we’ll assume you want comparison quotes from GEICO, Farmers and State Farm. To get each rate you have to go to every website and enter your policy data, which is why most consumers use the first method. To view a list of companies in Shawnee, click here.
- The hardest method of comparing rate quotes is driving to local Shawnee insurance agencies. The ability to buy insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you have a need for the trained guidance only provided by licensed Shawnee agents. However, consumers can find lower rates online and get advice from an agent in your area. We’ll cover that shortly.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just double check that you are using the exact same coverage limits and deductibles with every price quote. If you use different limits and deductibles on each one then you won’t be able to determine the best price in Shawnee. Having just a slight variation in coverages can make a big difference in price. And when comparison shopping, getting more free quotes will enable you to find the best rates.
Learn How to Buy Car Insurance Cheaper
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that come into play when calculating car insurance rates. Understanding what impacts premium levels enables informed choices that may reward you with big savings.
The list below includes a few of the “ingredients” car insurance companies consider when setting rates.
- Performance level impacts rates – The type of vehicle you own makes a huge difference in your rates. The cheapest insurance rates are usually for economy passenger models, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Theft deterrents lower rates – Driving a car with a theft deterrent system can help lower your rates. Anti-theft features like GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all hinder car theft.
- Occupation reflects on rates – Careers like real estate brokers, social workers and accountants have higher rates than average in part from stressful work requirements and long work days. On the flip side, occupations like pilots, athletes and the unemployed get better rates.
- One company can mean more discounts – Many car insurance companies give discounts to policyholders who consolidate policies with them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can be ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even if you’re getting this discount you still need to comparison shop to verify if the discount is saving money.
- Sex matters – Statistics show women tend to be less risk to insure than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that women are BETTER drivers than men. Men and women are in accidents at a similar rate, but the males cause more damage. They also have more aggressive citations such as reckless driving. Teenage male drivers are most likely to cause an accident and thus pay the highest rates.
- Your location is important – Choosing to live in less populated areas can save you money when talking about car insurance. Drivers who live in large cities regularly have traffic congestion and much longer commute distances. Less people living in that area means fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate.
- Pay less after the wedding – Having a wife or husband actually saves money on your policy. It translates into being more mature it has been statistically shown that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Don’t let your coverage lapse – Having an insurance coverage lapse will be a sure-fire way to increase your car insurance rates. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you a steep fine or even jail time.Then you may be required to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Kansas motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Discounts are great for lower rates
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but you can get discounts that you may not know about. Some discounts apply automatically at quote time, but lesser-known reductions have to be manually applied prior to getting the savings.
- Paperless Signup – A handful of insurance companies will give a small break simply for signing online.
- No Charge for an Accident – A few companies will forgive one accident without raising rates if you are claim-free prior to the accident.
- Early Signing – Some insurance companies reward drivers for switching to them before your current policy expires. This can save 10% or more.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having a deployed family member could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Drive Less and Save – Fewer annual miles could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your bill all at once instead of monthly or quarterly installments you could save 5% or more.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a home in Shawnee may earn you a small savings because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Good Student – This discount can get you a discount of up to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you well after school through age 25.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates you would end up receiving a 100% discount, it doesn’t quite work that way. Any amount of discount will help reduce your overall premium however.
Do I need special coverages?
When it comes to buying coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Each situation is unique so your insurance needs to address that. For example, these questions can aid in determining whether you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Should I buy only the required Kansas minimum liability coverage?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Does my vehicle qualify for pleasure use?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- What is the difference between comprehensive and collision coverage?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you may need to chat with an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Neighborhood agents for car insurance
A small number of people just want to talk to a local agent and that is a personal choice. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you may find the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting local insurance agencies is important particularly in Shawnee.
Upon completion of this short form, your insurance coverage information is emailed to local insurance agents in Shawnee who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. There is no need to leave your computer as quotes are delivered directly to your email. It doesn’t get any easier! You’ll get the best rates and an insurance agent to talk to.
Two types of Shawnee auto insurance agents
If you’re trying to find local Shawnee agents, you need to know there are two types of agencies to choose from. Shawnee agents are either captive or independent (non-captive).
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. To transfer your coverage to a different company, your agent can switch companies and that require little work on your part. When searching for an agent, you should always contact several independent insurance agents to get the best comparison.
Shown below are Shawnee independent insurance agents that are able to give rate quotes.
Blaylock Insurance – 12510 W 62nd Ter – Shawnee, KS 66216 – (913) 248-8290
Sell Insurance – 12510 W 62nd Ter – Shawnee, KS 66216 – (913) 631-6810
Captive agencies are contracted to one company like AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance and Allstate. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Captive agencies are very knowledgeable in insurance sales which helps them compete with independent agents.
Below are captive agents in Shawnee willing to provide rate quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 10964 W 74th Ter – Shawnee, KS 66203 – (913) 962-4600
Farmers Insurance Group – 12510 W 62nd Ter # 106 – Shawnee, KS 66216 – (913) 248-1767
State Farm Insurance – 6339 Long St # A – Shawnee, KS 66216 – (913) 631-9007
To view a full list of captive insurance agents in Shawnee, visit this site.
Choosing an insurance agency requires more thought than just the price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Kansas?
Once you have acceptable answers to any questions you have in addition to an acceptable price estimate, you have narrowed it down to a car insurance agent that can properly service your car insurance policy.
Online plus local equals savings
When trying to cut insurance costs, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many cases, someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that it was a big error on their part. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price.
Affordable car insurance can be bought online and with local Shawnee insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance providers do not offer online price quotes and most of the time these smaller companies sell through independent agents.
Learn more today
Additional information is available on the website for the Kansas Insurance Department found here. Consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, get help finding coverage, report car insurance fraud, and find disaster information.