Are you tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul each month for car insurance? Your situation is no different than many other Alabama consumers. Lots of car insurance companies contend for your insurance dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every insurer to find the lowest cost out there.
You need to compare rates quite often because rates are usually higher with each renewal. Just because you had the lowest price a few years ago there is a good chance you can find better rates now. There is a lot of bad information regarding car insurance on the web, but by reading this article, you’re going to learn some proven techniques to save money.
Compare Car Insurance Today
Lowering your car insurance rates can be relatively painless. The only thing you need to do is take a couple of minutes comparing price quotes provided by online insurance companies. This is very easy and can be done in several different ways.
- The recommended way to get quotes is an all-inclusive rate comparison (click to open form in new window). This form keeps you from doing separate forms for each company you want a rate for. Just one form will get you price quotes instantly.
- A more time consuming way to find lower rates requires a visit to each company website to request a price quote. For examples sake, let’s say you want rates from Progressive, 21st Century and State Farm. To find out each rate you need to spend time on each company’s site and enter your information, which is why most consumers use the first method. To view a list of companies in Homewood, click here.
- The least recommended way to get comparison rates is driving to local Homewood insurance agencies. Shopping for car insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you prefer the personal advice of a local Homewood agent. Drivers can get the lowest quotes online but still have the advice of a local agent and we’ll talk about that later.
Whichever way you use, make absolute certain that you use exactly the same coverage information for each price quote. If you enter unequal deductibles or liability limits you will not be able to determine the best price in Homewood.
Don’t overlook these discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there are discounts available that you may not know about. Most are applied at quote time, but some may not be applied and must be specifically requested before they will apply. If you aren’t receiving every discount you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Discount for New Cars – Insuring a new car is cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Clubs and Organizations – Participating in a professional or civic organization could qualify you for a break when buying car insurance.
- Military Discounts – Having a family member in the military could mean lower rates.
- Government Employees – Active or retired federal employment could cut as much as 10% off with certain companies.
- Paperwork-free – A few companies give back up to $50 for buying your policy over the internet.
- Driver Safety – Taking a defensive driving course could cut 5% off your bill if you qualify.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So despite the fact that it appears all the discounts add up to a free policy, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. But any discount will bring down the amount you have to pay.
To see a list of insurers with the best car insurance discounts in Alabama, click here to view.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions might point out if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving my company car?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Do I need medical payments coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- Is my teen driver covered when they drive my company car?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It is quick, free and may give you better protection.
Additional information is located on the website for the Alabama Department of Insurance through this link. Alabama drivers can find out which companies have the most complaints, download brochures, and file complaints about an insurance agent or broker.