No one cherishes buying auto insurance, in particular when their premiums are too high. Consumers have many insurers to buy insurance from, and even though it’s nice to have a selection, it can be more challenging to compare rates and cut insurance costs.
It’s a great practice to do rate comparisons every six months since insurance rates change quite often. Even if you got the lowest rates last year the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because you’re about to learn one of the best ways to eliminate unnecessary coverages and save money.
Finding affordable coverage in Abbeville is not that difficult. If you have a policy now or are looking for a new policy, you can learn to get lower rates while maximizing coverage. Louisiana consumers just need to learn the most efficient way to compare price quotes on the web.
Tips to Get Lower Abbeville Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that help determine the rates you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively impacts premium levels empowers consumers to make smart changes that could result in better auto insurance rates.
- No coverage gaps is important – Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse will be a quick way to increase your auto insurance rates. Not only will you pay more, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you a license revocation or jail time.Then you may be required to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Louisiana motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Men fork out a little more – Statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. That doesn’t necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. Men and women tend to get into accidents at a similar rate, but men cause more damage. Men also get cited for more serious violations like DUI and reckless driving. Male drivers age 16 to 19 are several times more likely to be in an accident and thus pay the highest rates.
- Don’t sacrifice liability coverage – The liability section of your policy is the protection if a court rules you are at fault for personal injury or accident damage. It will provide for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Your car’s features help determine rates – Choosing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Anti-theft features like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system can thwart your car from being stolen.
- Credit scores impact auto insurance rates – Your credit score is a big factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. So if your credit history is lower than you’d like, you could potentially save money when insuring your by improving your rating. Drivers with good credit tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers with poor credit.
- With age comes lower rates – Youthful drivers in Louisiana have a tendency to get distracted easily when behind the wheel so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Older insureds are more responsible, tend to file fewer claims and are safer drivers.
- Occupation reflects on rates – Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Occupations such as judges, business owners and financial analysts tend to pay higher average rates in part from high stress levels and lots of time spent at work. Conversely, occupations such as farmers, engineers and performers have the lowest average rates.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Auto insurance companies do not advertise all their discounts very clearly, so here is a list both well-publicized and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you are paying more than you should be.
- No Accidents – Good drivers with no accidents pay much less when compared to frequent claim filers.
- 55 and Retired – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can possibly qualify for better auto insurance rates.
- New Vehicle Savings – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- Defensive Driver – Taking a defensive driving course could cut 5% off your bill if you qualify.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Drivers who require all occupants to buckle their seat belts can save up to 15% on the medical payments or PIP coverage costs.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying coverage for multiple vehicles with the same company can get a discount on all vehicles.
A little note about advertised discounts, many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like adding up those discounts means a free policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
Car insurance is unique, just like you
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage, there really is no cookie cutter policy. Each situation is unique and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining if you may require specific advice.
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Louisiana?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It is quick, free and you can get the answers you need.
Additional consumer information websites
Additional detailed information can be read at the Louisiana Department of Insurance website. Louisiana drivers can read industry bulletins, discover disciplinary actions, and find a variety of consumer forms.
And the best car insurance company is…
Lower-priced auto insurance can be sourced from both online companies and with local Abbeville insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. There are still a few companies who do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies sell through independent agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. Too many times, an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret they didn’t have enough coverage. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage for the lowest price.