If online auto insurance comparisons are new to you, it’s easy to get confused because of the huge number of auto insurance companies selling insurance in Trumbull.
You should take the time to take a look at other company’s rates on a regular basis since insurance rates go up and down regularly. Even if you think you had the lowest price a couple years back you can probably find a lower rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because you’re about to learn the only way to reduce your cost while improving coverage.
How your Trumbull rates are determined
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that play a part in calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. When you know what positively or negatively controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
Shown below are some of the factors companies use to determine prices.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are a lot of extra bells and whistles that you can buy if you aren’t careful. Things like personal injury protection, towing coverage and additional equipment coverage may be costing you every month. These may sound like a good investment initially, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Getting married actually saves money when buying auto insurance. It is viewed as being more mature than a single person and it’s statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Small claims can cost you – If you frequently file small claims, you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Insurance companies in Connecticut generally give cheaper rates to insureds who are claim-free. Your insurance policy is intended for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Performance level impacts rates – The type of vehicle you drive makes a big difference in the rate you pay. The most favorable rates are for economy passenger cars, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
How to Compare Auto Insurance Costs in Trumbull
Getting a lower price on insurance is surprisingly easy. The only requirement is to take a couple of minutes comparing price quotes online with multiple companies. This is very easy and can be done in several different ways.
- The first (and easiest) way to find low rates is a comparison rater form like this one (opens in new window). This easy form prevents you from having to do separate quotes for each company you want a rate for. In just a few minutes this one form gets rate comparisons direct from many companies. It’s definitely the quickest method.
- A more difficult way to get comparison quotes requires visiting each individual company website to complete a price quote. For example, let’s say you want rates from USAA, 21st Century and American Family. To get each rate you have to spend time on each company’s site and enter your information, which is why the first method is quicker. For a list of links to insurance companies in Trumbull, click here.
- The hardest method of comparing rate quotes is to spend your day driving to local Trumbull insurance agencies. Buying insurance online makes this process obsolete unless you want the professional advice that only a license agent can provide. It is possible to compare the best prices online and get advice from an agent in your area and we’ll touch on that later.
It’s up to you how you get prices quotes, just make darn sure you compare apples-to-apples information on every quote. If you are comparing mixed coverages then you won’t be able to decipher which rate is best in Trumbull.
Don’t overlook these discounts
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there could be available discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Most are applied at the time of purchase, but a few need to be requested specifically in order for you to get them. If you’re not getting every credit you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If you pay your bill all at once instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Safe Drivers – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less than drivers with accidents.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems help deter theft and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Braking Control Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles are safer to drive and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Save over 55 – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you may qualify for reduced rates.
- Seat Belts Save – Requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could cut 10% or more off the personal injury premium cost.
- Save with a New Car – Adding a new car to your policy can be considerably cheaper due to better safety requirements for new cars.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying insurance for multiple cars or trucks on one policy may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Government Employees – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% with certain companies.
- Early Switch Discount – Select companies give a discount for signing up prior to your current policy expiring. It’s a savings of about 10%.
Consumers should know that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Most only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So when it seems like you can get free auto insurance, companies don’t profit that way. Any amount of discount will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
To see a list of providers who offer auto insurance discounts in Connecticut, click here.
Online quotes with a local Trumbull insurance agent
Some people would rather get advice from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Professional agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help in the event of a claim. The best thing about getting online price quotes is that you can obtain better rates and still have an agent to talk to. And supporting small agencies is important especially in Trumbull.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), the quote information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents who will compete for your business. You don’t have to leave your house as quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. It doesn’t get any easier!
What types of insurance agencies are in Trumbull?
When researching a local agent, you need to know there are two different types of agents from which to choose. Agencies in Trumbull are classified as either independent (non-captive) or captive. While both can write coverage properly, but it’s worth mentioning the difference between them since it can impact the type of agent you choose
These agents are not required to write business for one company so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies depending on which coverage is best. If you are not satisfied with one company, your agent can switch companies and you don’t have to find a new agent. When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to contact multiple independent agents to get the best comparison.Most can insure with smaller companies which can be an advantage.
The following are Trumbull independent insurance agencies willing to provide pricing information.
- Terry L Linane Agency – 6515 Main St # 2a – Trumbull, CT 06611 – (203) 261-6575
- Adam Miller Agency LLC – 6200 Main St – Trumbull, CT 06611 – (203) 261-5090
- Liberty Mutual Insurance – 35 Corporate Dr # 12 – Trumbull, CT 06611 – (203) 268-8844
- Jack R Finn Insurance – 935 White Plains Rd # 211 – Trumbull, CT 06611 – (203) 459-0400
Captive Insurance Agents
These agents are contracted to one company such as Allstate, Farmers Insurance, State Farm and AAA. They usually cannot shop your coverage around so always compare other rates. Captives receive extensive training on the products they sell and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers sometimes buy insurance from these agents mainly due to high brand loyalty and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
The following is a list of captive insurance agents in Trumbull willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Liberty Mutual Insurance – 35 Corporate Dr # 12 – Trumbull, CT 06611 – (203) 268-8844
- State Farm Insurance – 925 White Plains Rd – Trumbull, CT 06611 – (203) 261-2356
- Allstate Insurance – 888 White Plains Rd – Trumbull, CT 06611 – (203) 261-2222
For a full directory of captive insurance agencies in Trumbull, please click here.
Picking an insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just a low price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Connecticut?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
Once you have satisfactory answers to all your questions as well as a affordable price, you’ve probably found an insurance agent that can service your policy.
More information can be read on the Connecticut Insurance Department website. Click here for link. Connecticut drivers can view agent and company licensing information, get help finding coverage, and view a list of available companies.
In the end, you save
Drivers change insurance companies for a number of reasons such as not issuing a premium refund, questionable increases in premium, delays in responding to claim requests or high rates after DUI convictions. No matter why you want to switch, finding a new auto insurance company is not as difficult as it may seem.
When buying insurance coverage, it’s very important that you do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are many occasions where someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and discovered at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your goal should be to purchase plenty of coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
We covered a lot of tips how to save on auto insurance. It’s most important to understand that the more times you quote, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the lowest premiums are with an unexpected company.