Having to pay for overpriced car insurance can take a big chunk out of your savings account and make it impossible to make ends meet. Shopping your coverage around is a smart way to slash your bill and have more diposable income. Drivers have so many auto insurance companies to pick from, and though it is a good thing to have multiple companies, it can be more difficult to compare rates.
It’s important to take a look at other company’s rates occasionally since rates fluctuate regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest price a year ago you may be paying too much now. Ignore everything you know about car insurance because you’re about to find out how to quote online to reduce your cost while improving coverage.
Shopping for the lowest cost coverage in Milwaukee is quite easy. If you have a policy now or need new coverage, you can use this information to reduce the price you pay while maintaining coverages. Wisconsin consumers only need an understanding of the most effective way to compare prices on the web.
Why your price might be higher
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that go into determining the rates you pay for car insurance. Understanding what determines base rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that will entitle you to much lower annual insurance costs.
- Lower deductibles cost more – Coverage for physical damage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. A few examples of covered claims could be colliding with a building, damage from fire, or theft. Physical damage deductibles are how much you are willing to pay if you file a covered claim. The more you have to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- An active claims history can cost you – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can pretty much guarantee either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Insurance companies in Wisconsin award cheaper rates to people who file claims infrequently. Auto insurance is meant to be used in the event of the large, substantial claims.
- Older drivers pay less – Older insureds tend to be more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents and receive fewer citations. Teen drivers have a tendency to be more careless when behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
- Being married can save on car insurance – Having a spouse helps lower the price on your car insurance policy. Marriage means you’re more mature and responsible and statistics show married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Performance influences rates – The performance of the car you drive makes a huge difference in how high your rates are. Lower performance four cylinder passenger vehicles generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
Policy discounts you shouldn’t miss
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there could be available discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Some discounts apply automatically at quote time, but lesser-known reductions have to be manually applied before you get the savings. If you don’t get every credit possible, you are paying more than you should be.
- Own a Home – Owning a home in Milwaukee may trigger a car insurance policy discount because of the fact that having a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Life Insurance Discount – Some companies give a break if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Memberships – Being a member of a professional or civic organization could qualify you for a break when buying car insurance.
- Theft Prevention System – Cars that have factory anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- New Car Discount – Adding a new car to your policy is cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you’re out of luck. But all discounts will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
What if I want to buy from a local Milwaukee agent?
Some consumers prefer to sit down with an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Agents can answer important questions and help in the event of a claim. The biggest benefit of price shopping on the web is that you can obtain the lowest rates but still work with a licensed agent. And providing support for small agencies is important especially in Milwaukee.
After completing this short form, the quote information is emailed to companies in Milwaukee who will compete to get your business. You never need to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go to your email. How cool is that?!
Is a captive or independent auto insurance agent right for you?
When finding a good insurance agency, you need to know there are two different agency structures that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Milwaukee agents can either be captive or independent. Both properly insure your vehicles, but it’s worth learning the differences because it can impact your selection of an agent.
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent insurance agents are not employed by any specific company but rather can write business with lots of companies depending on which coverage is best. To move your coverage to a new company, the business is moved internally and that require little work on your part. When shopping rates, it’s recommended you contact multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
The following are independent agencies in Milwaukee who can help you get comparison quotes.
Cynthia Cohen Agency – 1936 N Martin Luther King Dr – Milwaukee, WI 53212 – (414) 562-5833
Knights Of Columbus Insurance – 4475 W Donna Dr – Milwaukee, WI 53223 – (414) 355-5991
Insurance Information Ctr – 700 W Michigan St – Milwaukee, WI 53233 – (414) 291-5360
Dan Stouff Agency – 3500 S 92nd St – Milwaukee, WI 53228 – (414) 545-4730
Angelica Angel Agency – 5558 S 27th St – Milwaukee, WI 53221 – (414) 282-3600
Captive Insurance Agents
These agents work for only one company and examples are American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so they have to upsell other benefits. These agents receive extensive training on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
The following are captive agencies in Milwaukee that are able to give rate quotes.
Allstate Insurance – 3801 W Fond Du Lac Ave – Milwaukee, WI 53216 – (414) 445-2558
American Family – 3113 S 13th St – Milwaukee, WI 53215 – (414) 643-9363
State Farm Insurance – 6051 W Brown Deer Rd # 101 – Milwaukee, WI 53223 – (414) 354-0330
Farmers Insurance Group – 8413 W Greenfield Ave – Milwaukee, WI 53214 – (414) 443-0797
For a full directory of car insurance agents in Milwaukee, please click here.
Selecting an insurance agency shouldn’t rely on just the premium amount. Some important questions to ask are:
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Wisconsin?
- If they are an independent agency, which companies do they recommend?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
Upon getting satisfactory answers to any questions you have and an affordable coverage quote, you’ve probably found an auto insurance agent that will properly service your car insurance policy.
Switch companies and save? Really?
Consumers in Wisconsin get pounded daily by advertisements for car insurance savings from companies such as 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm. All the companies make the same claim that you can save after switching your policy.
But how can every company claim to save you money?
Different companies are able to cherry pick for the type of customer that earns them a profit. A good example of a desirable insured might be between the ages of 40 and 55, a clean driving record, and drives newer vehicles. A customer getting a price quote that hits that “sweet spot” is entitled to the best price and therefore will save a lot of money.
Drivers who don’t measure up to the “perfect” profile will be quoted a more expensive rate which usually ends up with the customer not buying. The ads say “people who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much money. That’s the way insurance companies can confidently make those claims.
This emphasizes why you should get as many comparisons as possible. It’s not possible to predict which car insurance company will fit your personal profile best.
Additional consumer information websites
More information is available on the website for the Wisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance. Click here for link. Visitors are able to learn about specific coverages, read consumer alerts, and read state legal mandates and laws.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
When buying insurance coverage, you should never reduce needed coverages to save money. In many cases, an accident victim reduced collision coverage only to find out that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your strategy should be to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
Cost effective car insurance is possible on the web and with local Milwaukee insurance agents, and you need to price shop both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some car insurance companies do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.