Are you at wits end from trying to scrape together enough money to buy auto insurance? You are no different than the majority of other consumers in Mississippi. Numerous car insurance companies battle for your insurance dollar, so it’s not easy to compare every provider and get the best coverage at the best rates possible.
How to shop auto insurance online
Getting low cost auto insurance pricing is not rocket science. Just take a couple of minutes to compare rate quotes from some recommended companies. This can be done using one of these methods.
The best way consumers can make multiple comparisons is an all-inclusive rate comparison click to view form in new window. This form eliminates the need for separate forms for each company you want a rate for. One form submission will return price quotes from multiple companies.
A more difficult way to find lower rates requires a visit to each company website and fill out a new quote form. For instance, we’ll pretend you want to compare USAA, Allstate and State Farm. To do that, you would have to spend time on each company’s site to enter the same coverage data repeatedly, which is not fast way to get rate quotes. For a list of companies in Magee, click here.
The most difficult method to price shop rates to and from local Magee insurance agencies. Buying insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you’re the type of person who wants the personal advice of an agent trained in personal lines coverage. Drivers can comparison shop your insurance online and still use a local agent.
How you compare quotes is your choice, just make sure you are using the exact same coverages on every quote. If each company quotes different data you will not be able to decipher which rate is best in Magee.
Auto insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Auto insurance is not an enjoyable expense, but you might be missing out on some discounts that you may not know about. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of quoting, but some need to be specially asked for before you get the savings.
- Memberships – Joining a qualifying organization can get you a small discount on your policy.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can save up to 40% or more on their than their less cautious counterparts.
- Government Employee Discount – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% depending on your auto insurance provider.
- No Claims – Drivers who don’t have accidents have much lower rates as compared to policyholders that have many claims.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Owning your own home or condo can save you money due to the fact that maintaining a home is proof of financial responsibility.
- Seat Belts Save – Forcing all vehicle occupants to fasten their seat belts could save 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Anti-theft Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-theft systems help deter theft and will qualify for a discount on a .
- Military Discounts – Having a deployed family member could trigger a small discount.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your policy upfront instead of paying each month you may reduce your total bill.
- Savings for New Vehicles – Insuring a new car can save you some money since new vehicles are generally safer.
Just know that some of the credits will not apply to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Despite the fact that it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, you won’t be that lucky.
A few of the larger companies and a selection of discounts can be read below.
- Progressive has discounts for homeowner, multi-policy, continuous coverage, online quote discount, multi-vehicle, and online signing.
- SAFECO policyholders can earn discounts including safe driver, accident prevention training, teen safe driver, teen safety rewards, and anti-lock brakes.
- American Family may include discounts for air bags, defensive driver, early bird, mySafetyValet, accident-free, and bundled insurance.
- MetLife has savings for multi-policy, good driver, defensive driver, claim-free, accident-free, good student
- GEICO offers discounts including defensive driver, multi-vehicle, anti-theft, daytime running lights, and driver training.
- The Hartford offers premium reductions for bundle, driver training, good student, vehicle fuel type, defensive driver, and air bag.
Check with each company to give you their best rates. Some discounts listed above might not be offered on policies everywhere. If you would like to view auto insurance companies who offer online auto insurance quotes in Magee, click here.
Learn how to lower your auto insurance prices
One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of the different types of things that help calculate your premiums. If you understand what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make good choices that could result in better auto insurance rates. Many things are used when quoting car insurance. Most are fairly basic such as traffic violations, but others are not quite as obvious like your continuous coverage or how safe your car is.
The itemized list below are some of the most rate-impacting factors used by companies to determine your prices.
- Safer vehicles means better prices – Cars with five star safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Safer cars reduce the chance of injuries and lower rates of occupant injuries translates directly to fewer claims passed on to you as lower rates. If your car, truck, or SUV is rated at least four stars on Safercar.gov you may qualify for a discount.
- The type of vehicle you drive affects your prices – The performance of the vehicle you are insuring makes a significant difference in your premium level. Smaller low performance passenger vehicles usually have the lowest rates, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
- Don’t let your auto insurance policy lapse – Allowing your coverage to lapse is a guaranteed way to pay more for auto insurance. In addition to paying higher premiums, the inability to provide proof of insurance will get you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license. Then you may be required to file a SR-22 with the Mississippi department of motor vehicles.
- Deter theft and reduce auto insurance rates – Buying a car with an alarm system can help lower your premiums. Theft prevention devices such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all help stop auto theft and help lower rates.
- Guys are more aggressive – Statistics demonstrate women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, don’t assume that women are better drivers. Both sexes cause at-fault accidents in similar numbers, but men cause more damage. Men also get more serious tickets like driving under the influence (DUI). Young males are most likely to cause an accident and therefore have the most expensive auto insurance rates.
- City traffic equals higher premiums – Being located in a small town may provide you with better prices when buying auto insurance. Drivers who live in large cities have much more traffic and a longer drive to work. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accident claims and lower theft and vandalism rates.
- Credit history impacts prices – Having a bad credit history factor in your rate calculation. Insureds that have high credit scores tend to be more responsible than those with lower ratings. If your credit is lower than you’d like, you could be paying less to insure your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score.
- Only buy what you need – There are quite a few extra coverages that sound like a good idea at the time if you aren’t diligent. Add-on coverages like vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness, and additional equipment coverage may be wasting your money. They may sound like good ideas when deciding what coverages you need, but your needs may have changed so remove them from your policy.
Compare prices or from insurance agents
Some consumers just want to get advice from a local agent and that is just fine! Professional agents can help determine the best coverages and help submit paperwork. The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is that you can obtain cheap rate quotes but also keep your business local. And buying from local agents is still important in Magee.
After completing this short form, the coverage information is submitted to companies in Magee who will give you bids and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no need to search for an agent because quoted prices will be sent directly to you. If you need to compare rates from a specific company, you would need to visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Compare rates from both independent and captive auto insurance agents
If you want a local Magee insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different types of agencies and how they are distinctly different. Auto insurance agents in Magee are considered either captive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either one can provide auto insurance policies, but it is a good idea to know why they differ since it could factor into the type of agent you choose.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent are not required to write business for one company and that enables them to quote your coverage with many different companies and potentially find a lower price. If premiums increase, they simply move your policy to a different company and you don’t have to do anything. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, we highly recommend that you contact a couple of independent agencies in order to have the best price comparison.
Below is a small list of independent agencies in Magee who may be able to give you free price quotes.
Steve Chestnut Agency – 503 11th Ave NW – Magee, MS 39111 – (601) 849-4318
Mid South Insurance – 1721 Airport Rd – Magee, MS 39111 – (601) 849-2139
Joe Rankin Insurance – 601 3rd St SW – Magee, MS 39111 – (601) 849-3411
Roger Mc Cool Agency – 103 Choctaw St E # C – Magee, MS 39111 – (601) 849-1919
Captive Insurance Agencies
These agents generally can only insure with one company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. Captives cannot provide other company’s prices so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Captive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales and that enables them to sell even at higher rates.
Listed below is a short list of captive agencies in Magee who can help you get rate quotes.
State Farm Insurance – 324 Main Ave S – Magee, MS 39111 – (601) 849-3394
To help find insurance agencies in your area, please view this complete selection of Magee insurance agencies.
Finding the right auto insurance agent requires more thought than just the quoted price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Will the agent or a CSR service your policy?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Does their agency support local causes in Magee?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Is working in the agency their full-time job?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
After you get good answers to all your questions and quotes, you may have just found an auto insurance agent that is a good match to provide auto insurance coverage.
Situations that may require an agent’s advice
When choosing the right insurance coverage, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s and your policy should reflect that. Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight whether or not you could use an agent’s help.
- Do I have any recourse if my insurance company denies a claim?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- What are the best liability limits?
- Am I covered by my spouse’s policy after a separation?
- Does my personal policy cover me when driving my company car?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
Much more information about auto insurance in Mississippi is located on the Mississippi Insurance Department website. Click here for link. Mississippi consumers can view a list of available companies, read industry bulletins, file complaints about a company, and learn about specific coverages.
Best coverage at the best price
We’ve covered some good ideas how to shop for auto insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more price quotes you have, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. You may even find the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company. Smaller companies often have lower premium rates on specific markets than the large multi-state companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
Lower-priced auto insurance can be purchased both online and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some auto insurance companies do not provide rate quotes online and usually these smaller providers work with local independent agencies.