Sick and tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul to buy car insurance? You’re in the same situation as most other car owners in Illinois.
Because there are so many companies to choose from, it is hard for the average consumer to pick the cheapest car insurance company.
The purpose of this post is to teach you how car insurance quotes work. If you are paying for car insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to cut costs considerably using these techniques. Although Illinois car owners do need to understand how companies market on the web and use this information to your advantage.
Free Palatine Car Insurance Quotes
When shopping for car insurance there are multiple ways to compare quotes from different in Palatine, ILinsurance companies. The easiest way by far to find the cheapest insurance rates consists of obtaining rate quotes online. It is quite easy and can be accomplished using a couple different methods.
- The single most time-saving way to compare a lot of rates at once is to use a rate comparison form click here to open form in new window. This easy form keeps you from doing separate forms for each company. A single, simple form will return price quotes .
- A slightly less efficient method to shop for car insurance online is to manually visit the website for every company you want to comare to complete their respective quote request forms. For example, let’s say you want to compare rates from Auto-Owners, GEICO and Farmers. To find out each rate you need to take the time to go to each site to enter your coverage information, which is why the first method is quicker. To view a list of companies in Palatine, click here.
- The hardest way to compare rates is to waste gas driving to local Palatine insurance agencies. Shopping for car insurance online eliminates the need for an insurance agent unless you want the professional guidance that only a license agent can provide. However, consumers can get prices online and get advice from an agent in your area and we’ll touch on that later.
However you get your quotes, make darn sure you compare the exact same information for every company. If the quotes have unequal deductibles or liability limits it will be next to impossible to make an equal comparison in Palatine. Having just a slight variation in coverages may cause a big price difference. Just remember that comparing a large number of companies will improve the odds of getting better pricing.
Save big with these discounts
Car insurance can cost a lot, but discounts can save money and there are some available to help bring down the price. A few discounts will automatically apply when you complete an application, but a few need to be inquired about in order for you to get them.
- Drive Less and Save – Low mileage vehicles can earn better rates on cars that stay parked.
- Club Memberships – Participating in a qualifying organization may earn a discount on your policy.
- Employee of Federal Government – Being employed by or retired from a federal job can earn a discount up to 10% with select insurance companies.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Companies who offer life insurance give lower rates if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your policy upfront instead of making monthly payments you could save 5% or more.
- Lower Rates for Military – Being on active duty in the military can result in better rates.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a new car can be considerably cheaper compared to insuring an older model.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents may save up to 50% more than less cautious drivers.
Drivers should understand that some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates you can get free auto insurance, it just doesn’t work that way. Any amount of discount will help reduce your premiums.
To choose providers who offer car insurance discounts in Illinois, follow this link.
Smart Consumers Save More
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that go into determining the rates you pay for car insurance. Having a good understanding of what controls the rates you pay empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces used by your company to calculate rates.
- Bad driving skills means higher rates – A bad driving record has a big impact on rates. Careful drivers get better rates than their less careful counterparts. Only having one citation can boost insurance rates forty percent or more. If you have dangerous violations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may find they need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state motor vehicle department in order to prevent a license revocation.
- Allowing your policy to lapse raises rates – Allowing your coverage to lapse will be a fast way to trigger a rate increase. And not only will your rates increase, failure to provide proof of insurance can result in a license revocation or jail time.You may then be required to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Illinois motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
- Liability coverage is peace of mind – The liability section of your policy provides coverage in the event that you are found to be at fault for personal injury or accident damage. It will provide legal defense coverage starting from day one. Liability is cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- What type of vehicle do you drive? – The make and model of the vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a significant difference in your rates. Low performance passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Where you live can impact rates – Residing in less populated areas has it’s advantages when talking about car insurance. City drivers regularly have congested traffic and longer commutes to work. Fewer drivers means a lower chance of having an accident and a lower car theft rate.
- Your car insurance rates can be influenced by your job – Jobs such as lawyers, social workers and dentists tend to have the highest average rates attributed to job stress and long work hours. Other professions such as scientists, historians and the unemployed receive lower rates.
Buying car insurance locally
A small number of people would prefer to visit with an insurance agent. The best thing about comparing rates online is the fact that you can find the lowest rates but also keep your business local. And supporting small agencies is especially important in Palatine.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, the coverage information is submitted to companies in Palatine who will compete to get your business. There is no need to visit any agencies as quotes are delivered to your email. How’s that for easy! Get lower rates without the usual hassles of price shopping.
Multiple types of auto insurance agents in Palatine
When searching for an insurance agent, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Palatine are categorized either captive or independent.
Independent agencies are not employed by any specific company so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. To transfer your coverage to a different company, an independent agent can move your coverage and you won’t have to switch agencies. When comparison shopping, it’s recommended you include several independent insurance agents to ensure the widest selection of prices.
Below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Palatine who can help you get rate quotes.
Dan Korvas Agency – 724 N Victoria Dr – Palatine, IL 60074 – (847) 368-9400
ANP Agency Inc – 50 N Brockway St – Palatine, IL 60067 – (847) 934-2497
A Best Insurance Store – 1858 N Rand Rd – Palatine, IL 60074 – (847) 359-8801
Country Insurance and Financial – 2070 N Rand Rd # I – Palatine, IL 60074 – (847) 934-5119
Captive Insurance Agents
These agents can only write with one company such as AAA, Allstate, State Farm, Farmers Insurance or Liberty Mutual. They generally cannot shop your coverage around so always compare other rates. Captives are trained well on their company’s products which helps them compete with independent agents.
Shown below are captive agents in Palatine willing to provide price quote information.
American Family Insurance – 800 E Northwest Hwy # 122 – Palatine, IL 60074 – (847) 991-9911
Farmers Insurance Group – 1300 N Geneva Dr – Palatine, IL 60074 – (847) 359-6719
Allstate Insurance – 448 E Dundee Rd – Palatine, IL 60074 – (847) 934-9480
For a complete listing of captive agents in Palatine, please go to this site.
Selecting an insurance agency requires more thought than just a cheap price. Here are some questions to ask:
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
- What insurance companies do they work with?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Do they regularly work with personal auto policies?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
Upon receiving good answers to your questions and locked in a price quote, you have narrowed it down to a car insurance agent that is a good match to service your policy.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When it comes to buying adequate coverage, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s so your insurance needs to address that. Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining whether or not you may require specific advice.
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- Do I have coverage when making deliveries for my home business?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- What vehicles should carry emergency assistance coverage?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
If you can’t answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Additional information can be read on the website for the Illinois Department of Insurance through this link. Illinois consumers can get help finding coverage, file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, and learn about insurance regulations.
Don’t listen to company ads
Companies like State Farm, Allstate and GEICO continually stream ads in print and on television. All the ads make an identical promise about savings after switching your coverage to them. How do they all say the same thing? This is how they do it.
Insurance companies can use profiling for the right customer that earns them a profit. An example of a driver they prefer might be between 30 and 50, owns a home, and has excellent credit. A customer getting a price quote who fits that profile is entitled to the best price and most likely will save when switching.
Consumers who don’t measure up to the requirements will have to pay higher prices and this can result in the customer not buying. The ads say “customers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much money. That is how companies can make the claims of big savings.
Because of the profiling, it is so important to get as many quotes as possible. Because you never know which car insurance company will have the lowest rates.
Smart consumers save more
When you buy insurance online, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many cases where consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits and discovered at claim time they didn’t purchase enough coverage. Your focus should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
You just learned many ideas to lower your car insurance rates. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Consumers could even find that the biggest savings come from a small mutual company. These companies may cover specific market segments cheaper compared to the large companies like State Farm and Allstate.