Are you overwhelmed by the number of auto insurance choices in Dunbar? You have a lot of company. You have so many options that it can easily become a challenge to find the best price.
You have some control over your rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for some of the elements that come into play when calculating your auto insurance rates. Knowing what controls the rates you pay helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with lower auto insurance prices.
- Please use or commuting – The higher the mileage driven in a year’s time the more you will pay for auto insurance. The majority of insurers rate vehicles determined by how the vehicle is used. Vehicles not used for work or commuting receive lower rates compared to those used for work or business. Ask your agent if your auto insurance declarations sheet is showing the correct usage for each vehicle, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- The type of vehicle makes a difference – The performance level of the car you own makes a big difference in the rate you pay. Low performance passenger models usually have the lowest rates, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Being married can get you a discount when buying auto insurance. Having a significant other is viewed as being more responsible and it’s proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Males pay more for insurance – Statistics have proven that men are more aggressive behind the wheel. However, this does not mean women are better drivers. Men and women cause accidents at about the same rate, but the males have costlier accidents. They also get cited for more serious violations such as reckless driving. Youthful male drivers tend to get in the most accidents and are penalized with high auto insurance rates.
- Don’t cancel a policy without a new one in place – Driving your car without having proper coverage is against the law and you will pay a penalty because you let your insurance lapse. And not only will your rates increase, failure to provide proof of insurance will get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license.
- Too many auto insurance claims drive up costs – If you frequently file small claims, you can expect either policy cancellation or increased premiums. Companies in West Virginia provide lower rates to insureds who are claim-free. Your insurance policy is intended for the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- More than one policy can earn a discount – Many auto insurance companies will give a discount to insureds who buy several policies from them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can be ten or even up to twenty percent in some cases. Even if you’re getting this discount it’s still a good idea to shop around to make sure you are getting the best deal.
- Older drivers pay less – Youthful drivers in West Virginia are statistically proven to be less responsible in a vehicle so they pay higher auto insurance rates. Mature drivers tend to be more responsible, statistically cause fewer accidents and receive fewer citations.
How to Get Cheap Auto Insurance in Dunbar, West Virginia
Getting a lower price on insurance isn’t really that difficult. Just spend a little time to compare rate quotes online with multiple companies. This is very easy and can be done in several different ways.
- The fastest way to get quotes for comparison is a comparison rater form click here to open form in new window. This method saves time by eliminating separate quotation requests for each company you want a rate for. Filling out one form gets rate comparisons from multiple low-cost companies. This is perfect if you don’t have a lot of time.
- A more difficult way to find lower rates is to take the time to go to the website for each individual company to request a price quote. For examples sake, let’s assume you want to compare Nationwide, 21st Century and GEICO. You would have to go to every website to enter your coverage information, which is why most consumers use the first method.
For a list of links to companies insuring cars in Dunbar, click here.
- The hardest way to get comparison rates is to spend time driving to and from local Dunbar insurance agencies. Shopping for auto insurance online has reduced the need for local agents unless you require the professional advice of a local Dunbar agent. It is possible to comparison shop your insurance online and get advice from an agent in your area and we’ll cover that in a bit.
It’s up to you which method you use, but make absolute certain that you use identical coverages for every company. If each company quotes different limits and deductibles on each one you will not be able to determine the best price in Dunbar.
Discounts are basically free money
Car insurance companies do not list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched both well-publicized and the more hidden savings tricks you should be using. If they aren’t giving you every credit you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Owning a house in Dunbar can save you money because maintaining a house requires personal responsibility.
- Life Insurance – Some companies give a discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Driver’s Ed – Cut your cost by having your teen driver take driver’s ed class in high school.
- Paperwork-free – A few companies will discount your bill up to fifty bucks for buying your policy on their website.
- Passive Restraints – Factory air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems can qualify for discounts up to 30%.
Consumers should know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only reduce individual premiums such as comp or med pay. So even though it sounds like it’s possible to get free car insurance, companies don’t profit that way.
For a list of insurance companies offering auto insurance discounts in Dunbar, follow this link.
But don’t I need an insurance agent?
Some people just want to sit down with an agent and that is OK! Licensed agents can answer important questions and give you peace of mind. One of the great benefits of getting online price quotes is you can get the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
After completing this short form, the coverage information gets sent to companies in Dunbar who will compete for your insurance coverage. You don’t have to drive around as quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. How cool is that?!
Choosing an insurance company shouldn’t rely on just the price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- If you have an accident, will your rates go up?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
Listed below is a list of insurers in Dunbar who can help you get rate quotes.
- State Farm Insurance – 801 Dunbar Ave, Dunbar, WV 25064 – (304) 766-7166
- Valley Insurance Systems – 1229 Leone Ln, Dunbar, WV 25064 – (304) 768-1900
- Allstate Insurance – 103 Smoot Ave, Dunbar, WV 25064 – (304) 369-3000
To view a full list of auto insurance agents in Dunbar, click here to link.
Once you have received positive feedback to all your questions and a low price estimate, you may have just found an provider that is a good match to service your policy.
When might I need help?
When buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Each situation is unique.
For example, these questions may help highlight if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Is my vehicle covered for smoke damage?
- Am I covered when driving in Canada or Mexico?
- What are the best liability limits?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in West Virginia?
- Is my vehicle covered by my employer’s policy when using it for work?
- What are West Virginia no-fault laws?
- Does my personal auto insurance policy cover using my vehicle for business use?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
More detailed West Virginia auto insurance information is located at the West Virginia Insurance Commission website. Consumers can file complaints about a company, find disaster information, and download brochures.
Buy online or local, you save
We covered some good ideas how to reduce auto insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more providers you compare, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
Discount auto insurance can be sourced on the web and with local Dunbar insurance agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies do not offer you the ability to get quotes online and usually these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Consumers switch companies for any number of reasons including high rates after DUI convictions, extreme rates for teen drivers, an unsatisfactory settlement offer and even denial of a claim. It doesn’t matter what your reason, choosing a new company is easier than you think.