Overwhelmed by the number of car insurance options in Pocatello? You’re not the only one! Consumers have so many companies to choose from that it can quickly become a ton of work to find lower rates.
Smart consumers take time to take a look at other company’s rates quite often due to the fact that insurance rates change regularly. Even if you got the lowest rates a few years ago you may be paying too much now. Starting now, forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in the things you must know in order to properly buy coverages and cut your premium.
Shopping for the cheapest coverage in Pocatello can be fairly easy. Essentially anyone who is required by state law to have car insurance will most likely be able to reduce their rates. But Idaho car owners do need to understand the way companies price insurance differently.
Why your price might be higher
It’s important that you understand some of the elements that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Knowing what impacts premium levels allows you to make educated decisions that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Being married actually saves money on your policy. Marriage translates into being more mature and responsible and it’s statistically proven that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Policy add-ons can waste money – There are a ton of additional coverages that you can buy on your car insurance policy. Coverages for vanishing deductibles, towing coverage and term life insurance may be costing you every month. These coverages may sound good when talking to your agent, but if they’re wasting money eliminate them to save money.
- Type of vehicle determines base rates – The make and model of the vehicle you own makes a huge difference in how high your rates are. Small economy passenger cars generally receive the lowest base rates, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- Liability insurance protects assets – Your policy’s liability coverage is the coverage that protects you if ever you are found liable for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It provides for a legal defense which can cost thousands of dollars. This coverage is very inexpensive as compared to coverage for physical damage, so buy as much as you can afford.
More discounts equal less premium
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you can get discounts that you may not even be aware of. Some discounts apply automatically when you purchase, but a few need to be inquired about before you get the savings.
- Own a Home – Owning a home in Pocatello can save you money because of the fact that having a home requires personal responsibility.
- Discount for Good Grades – This discount can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply until age 25.
- No Charge for an Accident – Certain companies permit an accident without raising rates as long as you don’t have any claims prior to the accident.
- Safe Driver Discount – Drivers who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more than drivers with accidents.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new car is cheaper because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying coverage for multiple cars or trucks with the same company qualifies for this discount.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By paying your policy upfront instead of paying each month you may reduce your total bill.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like it’s possible to get free car insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way. Any qualifying discounts will help reduce your premiums.
Can switching companies really save?
Companies like Progressive, Geico, Allstate and State Farm consistently run ads on TV and radio. All the ads make the same claim of big savings if you change your policy. But how can every company make almost identical claims? It’s all in the numbers.<img class="alignright" style="padding-top:15px" src="https://www.carinsurancediy.com/wp-content/uploads/ci175-18.jpg" alt="Pocatello ID insurance quotes” />
All the different companies are able to cherry pick for the type of driver that is profitable for them. For example, a profitable customer could possibly be between the ages of 30 and 50, has no tickets, and has a high credit rating. Any driver who meets those qualifications receives the best rates and most likely will save when switching.
Potential customers who don’t qualify for these standards must pay higher prices which usually ends up with the customer not buying. The ads state “people who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save money. This is how companies can truthfully advertise the way they do.
This illustrates why it is so important to compare as many rates as you can. Because you never know which company will fit your personal profile best.
It’s not one size fits all
When choosing proper insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining whether or not you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Am I covered when driving on a suspended license?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Should I buy additional glass protection?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- Are my friends covered when driving my vehicle?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but a few of them apply, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Additional information is located on the Idaho Department of Insurance website found here. Consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, learn about specific coverages, view a list of available companies, and read state legal mandates and laws.
Other informative sites include III.org’s auto insurance page and this resource to find Pocatello, ID insurance agents.
Shop smart and save
When shopping online for car insurance, it’s very important that you do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. The ultimate goal is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
Budget-conscious car insurance can be found online and also from your neighborhood Pocatello agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best selection. A few companies may not provide the ability to get a quote online and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
We’ve covered a lot of ways to compare car insurance prices online. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may be surprised to find that the most savings is with a small mutual company.