If you’ve never shopped for , chances are good that you are confused due to the large number of online companies offering coverage in Richardson.
It’s important to shop coverage around at least once a year because rates are constantly changing. Just because you had the best deal at your last renewal other companies may now be cheaper. Block out anything you think you know about auto insurance because we’re going to demonstrate the best way to lower your rates without sacrificing coverage.
Choosing the best insurance company for you in Richardson is not rocket science. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you will be able to lower your premiums substantially using these tips. Texas consumers just need to understand the tricks to get comparison rates online.
Drivers save money with with these discounts
Companies do not list every discount they offer very well, so we researched a few of the more well known and also the more inconspicuous discounts you could be receiving when you . If you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Military Rewards – Having a deployed family member could trigger a small discount.
- First Accident Forgiveness – This one isn’t a discount, but certain companies will allow you to have one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you haven’t had any claims for a certain period of time.
- Membership in Organizations – Being in a qualifying organization is a good way to get lower rates on your bill.
- Driver Safety – Participating in a course teaching defensive driving skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount if you qualify.
- Good Student – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. Many companies even apply the discount to college students up until you turn 25.
A quick disclaimer, many deductions do not apply the the whole policy. Some only reduce individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free auto insurance policy, it just doesn’t work that way.
A list of companies and their possible discounts are shown below.
- Travelers includes discounts for home ownership, good student, IntelliDrive, save driver, and early quote.
- 21st Century may include discounts for homeowners, early bird, good student, defensive driver, driver training, student driver, and teen driver.
- State Farm has discounts for good student, good driver, multiple autos, anti-theft, driver’s education, and student away at school.
- GEICO discounts include five-year accident-free, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, membership and employees, federal employee, and emergency military deployment.
- SAFECO offers premium reductions for safe driver, anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, teen safety rewards, and anti-theft.
- AAA offers discounts for AAA membership discount, education and occupation, anti-theft, multi-car, multi-policy, pay-in-full, and good student.
Before purchasing a policy, check with all companies you are considering which discounts can lower your rates. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be offered on policies in your state. To choose companies who offer cheap auto insurance quotes in Texas, click this link.
Make wise decisions and cut your costs
Many factors are taken into consideration when premium rates are determined. Some of the criteria are obvious like your driving record, although others are less obvious such as your credit history or how financially stable you are. A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing the rating factors that go into determining your premiums. If you know what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
The factors shown below are some of the major factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set rates.
- Limits of liability protection – Your auto insurance policy’s liability coverage provides coverage in the event that you are ruled to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. It will provide legal defense to defend your case. Liability insurance is pretty cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- Drive a fast car and pay more – The performance level of the vehicle you are insuring makes a huge difference in your rates. Low performance passenger cars generally receive the lowest base rates, but your final cost has many other factors.
- Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse raises auto insurance rates – Driving with no insurance is not a good idea and your next policy will cost more because you let your coverage cancel without a new policy in place. And not only will your rates increase, not being able to provide proof of insurance might get you fines or a revoked license.
- Is insurance coverage cheaper for females or males? – Statistics demonstrate women tend to be less risk to insure than men. This data doesn’t prove that females are better at driving than males. They both are in accidents in similar numbers, but the males tend to have higher claims. In addition to higher claims, males also receive more costly citations like DUI and reckless driving.
- Drive less and get lower rates – The higher the miles on your car every year the more you will pay for auto insurance. Many insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage determined by how the vehicle is used. Vehicles that do not get driven very much can get a lower rate than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Ask your agent if your auto insurance coverage properly reflects the proper vehicle usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- Good credit saves on auto insurance – Your credit rating factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. Drivers who have very good credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records than drivers with poor credit. If your credit score could use some work, you may save money insuring your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score.
- High coverage deductibles cost less – Coverage for physical damage, aka comp and collision, is used to repair damage to your vehicle. A few examples of covered claims could be running into the backend of another car, flood damage, and damage from a fallen tree branch. Your deductibles tell how much you are willing to pay if a claim is determined to be covered. The more expense you pay before a claim is paid (deductible), the better rate you will receive.
- Your address can modify prices – Having an address in less populated areas of the country is a positive aspect if you are looking for the lowest rates. Fewer drivers on the road means a lower chance of having an accident and a lower car theft rate. City drivers tend to have traffic congestion and longer commutes to work. The longer drive time means higher likelihood of an accident.
Will just any policy work for me?
When it comes to buying proper insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is unique.
For example, these questions may help highlight if you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Am I covered if I wreck a rental car?
- How much underlying liability do I need for an umbrella policy?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
If you can’t answer these questions then you might want to talk to an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, take a second and complete this form. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
You may need advice from an insurance agency
Some consumers just want to visit with an insurance agent and that is a smart decision Good insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. A good thing about getting online price quotes is the fact that drivers can get cheaper car insurance rates and still buy from a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your coverage information is submitted to local insurance agents that can give you and help you find cheaper coverage. There is no reason to even leave your home due to the fact that quote results will go straight to your inbox. If you want to get a price quote from a specific auto insurance provider, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Choosing an insurer should include more criteria than just the quoted price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Does their agency support local causes in Richardson?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- How many years have they been established?
- Are glass claims handled on-site or do you have to take your vehicle to a repair shop?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
If you prefer to buy auto insurance from a local Richardson insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the types of insurance agents that you can choose from. Agents can either be captive agents or independent agents. Both types of agents can sell auto insurance policies, but it’s good to learn the difference in the companies they write for because it can influence the kind of agent you use.
Captive Auto Insurance Agents
Captive agencies can only quote rates from one company and some examples include State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. Captives cannot provide other company’s prices so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. They are well schooled on the products they sell and that enables them to sell even at higher rates. Consumers often use the same captive agent mostly because of loyalty to the company rather than having low rates.
Shown below are captive agencies in Richardson who may provide you with price quote information.
- Allstate Insurance Co – 1893 N Plano Rd – Richardson, TX 75081 – (972) 470-0905
- State Farm Insurance – 1332 S Plano Rd # 110 – Richardson, TX 75081 – (972) 699-8588
Agents in the independent channel are not employed by any specific company so they can quote policies through lots of different companies and potentially find a lower price. If they quote lower rates, your agent can switch companies and you won’t have to switch agencies.
When comparing rates, it’s recommended you get rate quotes from several independent agencies so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. Most also write with companies that do not advertise much who may have lower rates.
The following is a short list of independent agents in Richardson that can give you rate quotes.
- Mike Sawyer Insurance – 1000 E Campbell Rd # 120 – Richardson, TX 75081 – (972) 231-2222
- Don Carroll Agency – 2007 N Collins Blvd – Richardson, TX 75080 – (972) 669-1980
- Trustmark Insurance Co – 2435 N Central Expy # 950 – Richardson, TX 75080 – (972) 490-6202
- Sandy Garza Agency – 212 W Campbell Rd – Richardson, TX 75080 – (972) 889-1833
- Martin Agency – 1411 E Campbell Rd # 1800 – Richardson, TX 75081 – (972) 437-2401
For more insurance agents in Richardson, you may want to view this directory of insurance agencies in Richardson.
More consumer information in Texas
Additional detailed information can be read at the Texas Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to file complaints about a company, view agent and company licensing information, and find a variety of consumer forms.
The following information may also be useful.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
Cheaper auto insurance can be sourced online and from local insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both to have the best selection. Some insurance providers don’t offer internet price quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent insurance agents.
People who switch companies do it for many reasons like lack of trust in their agent, being labeled a high risk driver, delays in paying claims and even high rates after DUI convictions. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch switching companies is not as difficult as it may seem.
When getting , don’t be tempted to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many instances, an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits only to discover later that the savings was not a smart move. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best possible price while not skimping on critical coverages.