Are you tired of robbing Peter to pay Paul to buy car insurance? You are in the same boat as many other Kentucky drivers.
Having so many insurance companies to choose from, it can be challenging to pick the most cost effective insurance company.
It’s a great practice to get comparison quotes occasionally because insurance rates change regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the lowest price a couple years back you can probably find a better price now. So ignore everything you know about car insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in how to use online quotes to save on car insurance.
Buying car insurance in Georgetown is quite easy. If you currently have car insurance, you stand a good chance to be able to lower your premiums substantially using these techniques. But Kentucky vehicle owners can benefit from knowing how insurance companies sell online and apply this information to your search.
Compare the Market for Car Insurance in Georgetown, Kentucky
All the larger car insurance companies allow you to get coverage price quotes on their websites. Obtaining pricing is pretty easy as you just enter your coverage preferences into the quote form. After you complete the form, the company’s rating system makes automated requests for reports for credit and driving violations and generates a price based on these and other factors. Being able to quote online simplifies rate comparisons, but having to visit multiple sites and fill out multiple forms can get tiresome after awhile. But it’s absolutely necessary to have as many quotes as possible if you want to find the lowest price.
The smarter way to get multiple rate quotes uses one form to return rates from several different companies. It’s a real time-saver, requires less work, and makes rate comparisons much more efficient. As soon as you send your information, it gets priced and you can select any one of the quote results. If you find a better price you can simply submit the application and purchase the new policy. This process just takes a couple of minutes and you will find out if you’re overpaying now.
To get comparison pricing now, simply click here to open in new window and fill out the form. To compare your current rates, we recommend you copy the limits and deductibles as close as possible to your current policy. This helps ensure you will have a price comparison for exact coverage.
Buy Cheaper Car Insurance with These Tips
Consumers need to have an understanding of the factors that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for car insurance. Understanding what determines base rates enables informed choices that could result in better car insurance rates.
Shown below are a few of the “ingredients” car insurance companies consider when setting premiums.
- Never go without insurance – Allowing your coverage to lapse is a guaranteed way to trigger a rate increase. And not only will your rates increase, getting caught without coverage will get you a revoked license or a big fine.You may then be required to file a SR-22 with the Kentucky department of motor vehicles.
- Increase deductibles and save – Physical damage insurance, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some instances where coverage would apply would be running into the backend of another car, collision with an animal, and burglary. Deductibles for physical damage are how much you are required to spend before a claim is paid by your company. The more you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Do you need those extra coverages? – There are many additional coverages you can purchase on your policy. Things like roadside assistance, better glass coverage and term life insurance may be wasting your money. They may seem like a good idea when talking to your agent, but if they’re wasting money remove them from your policy.
- Safer occupants lowers premiums – Cars with high safety ratings are cheaper to insure. These vehicles reduce injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates into savings for insurance companies passed on to you as lower rates.
- Being married is a good thing – Getting married can actually save you money when buying car insurance. Marriage means you’re more mature and it’s statistically proven that married drivers get in fewer accidents.
Save money by taking advantage of these discounts
Companies that sell car insurance do not list every discount very well, so we break down some of the more common as well as the least known savings tricks you should be using.
- Drivers Education – Have your child enroll in driver’s education in school.
- Service Members Pay Less – Being on active duty in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control can avoid accidents and will save you 10% or more.
- Paperwork-free – Some insurance companies give back up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- Safe Drivers – Insureds without accidents may save up to 50% more than less cautious drivers.
- Senior Discount – Mature drivers may be able to get better car insurance rates.
- Bundle and Save – When you combine your home and auto insurance with one company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying insurance for multiple cars or trucks with the same company can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
It’s important to note that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Just because you may think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you won’t be that lucky.
Price shop online but buy from a local Georgetown agent
A small number of people just want to get advice from a local agent and that is a personal choice. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is that you can obtain better rates but also keep your business local.
By using this form (opens in new window), your insurance data gets sent to local insurance agents who will compete for your coverage. You never need to leave your computer because quoted prices will be sent to the email address you provide. It doesn’t get any easier! Get lower rates and work with a local agent.
Picking an provider should depend on more than just a cheap price. These questions are important to ask:
- Will your rates increase after a single accident?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- How are they compensated?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Ommissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.
- Are they able to influence company decisions when a claim is filed?
Two different types of car insurance agents
When searching for local Georgetown agents, you need to know there are two different types of agents to choose from. Agencies in Georgetown are either captive or independent (non-captive).
Captive Insurance Agents
Captive agents have only one company to place business with and some examples include AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance and Allstate. They usually cannot shop your coverage around so keep that in mind. Captive agents receive extensive training in insurance sales and that can be a competitive advantage.
The following are Georgetown captive agencies who can help you get price quote information.
Shelter Insurance – 105 S Hamilton St – Georgetown, KY 40324 – (502) 868-7654
Kentucky Farm Bureau Insurance – 143 W Main St – Georgetown, KY 40324 – (502) 863-2454
Allstate Insurance – 1641 Paris Pike – Georgetown, KY 40324 – (502) 863-5641
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents are not required to write business for one company but instead can place your coverage with many different companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When comparison shopping, you should always include at a minimum one independent agency to have the most options to choose from.
Listed below are independent insurance agencies in Georgetown that can give you comparison quotes.
Craig and Hall Insurance – 158 E Main St – Georgetown, KY 40324 – (502) 863-0755
Hockensmith Agency Inc – 224 E Main St – Georgetown, KY 40324 – (502) 863-1445
Hays Agency Inc – 142 E Main St – Georgetown, KY 40324 – (502) 863-3505
Grant Rea Insurance – 401 E Washington St – Georgetown, KY 40324 – (502) 868-7575
To view a complete directory of insurance agents in Georgetown, please go to this site.
Upon receiving positive feedback for all questions you ask in addition to an acceptable price estimate, chances are good that you have found an auto insurance agent that will service your policy.
Affordable insurance is out there
We just presented some good ideas how you can compare car insurance prices online. The key thing to remember is the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Drivers may discover the lowest premiums are with some of the lesser-known companies. They may only write in your state and offer lower rates than the large multi-state companies such as Allstate or State Farm.
Cost effective car insurance is possible both online as well as from independent agents in Georgetown, so compare prices from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies don’t offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these regional insurance providers provide coverage only through local independent agents.
Consumer car insurance information in Kentucky
Even more information can be read at the Kentucky Department of Insurance website. Kentucky consumers can find out industry alerts, find a variety of consumer forms, and find out which companies have the most complaints.