Comparison shopping for Mcallen car insurance can be nearly impossible for people who are new to comparison shopping online. You have so many choices that it can be a big hassle to locate the lowest price in Mcallen.
Smart consumers take time to compare prices once or twice a year since rates are constantly changing. Even if you got the best price six months ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you’re about to learn the tricks you need to know to find better coverage at a better price.
Don’t overlook these discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can drop the cost substantially. Certain discounts will be applied at the time of quoting, but some must be inquired about prior to getting the savings. If you’re not getting every credit you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Senior Citizens – If you qualify as a senior citizen, you can possibly qualify for better car insurance rates.
- Passive Restraints – Vehicles with factory air bags or motorized seat belts can qualify for discounts of 20% or more.
- No Claims – Good drivers with no accidents can earn big discounts compared to drivers who are more careless.
- Military Rewards – Being on active duty in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Life Insurance – Select insurance companies reward you with lower rates if you buy life insurance.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Defensive Driving Course – Successfully completing a course in driver safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount if your company offers it.
- Government Employees – Simply working for the federal government can save as much as 8% with select insurance companies.
It’s important to understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Just because you may think all those discounts means the company will pay you, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. But any discount will help reduce your premiums.
To see a list of insurers who offer car insurance discounts in Texas, follow this link.
When should I talk to an agent?
When it comes to buying the right insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
These are some specific questions might help in determining if you might need professional guidance.
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in Texas?
- Am I covered when using my vehicle for business?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
- Is rental equipment covered for theft or damage?
- What if I total my vehicle and owe more than it’s worth?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form. It is quick, free and can provide invaluable advice.
Can’t I compare rates from local Mcallen agents?
Some consumers would rather talk to a local agent and that is just fine! Insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and help submit paperwork. The best thing about price shopping on the web is you can get lower rates but also keep your business local. And providing support for local insurance agencies is important particularly in Mcallen.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, the quote information is immediately sent to local insurance agents who will give you bids for your business. You won’t need to leave your house since price quotes are sent to your email. How cool is that?!
Two different types of insurance agents
When researching a good insurance agency, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Insurance agencies in Mcallen are categorized either captive or independent (non-captive). Either one can do a good job, but it’s worth mentioning the differences since it may influence buying decisions.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents do not work for one specific company so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your agent finds better pricing, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you don’t have to find a new agent. When comparison shopping, it’s recommended you include at least one independent agent to have the most options to choose from.Most can insure with lesser-known insurance companies which may provide better rates.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Mcallen that may be able to provide price quotes.
- First Advantage Insurance – 506 W Expressway 83 – Mcallen, TX 78501 – (956) 631-9828
- Leonel Rodriguez Insurance – 740 Nolana St # 4 – Mcallen, TX 78504 – (956) 682-1345
- Cardenas Agency – 400 Nolana St # K – Mcallen, TX 78504 – (956) 994-0585
These agents are contracted to one company like State Farm or Allstate. They usually cannot place coverage with different providers so it’s a take it or leave it situation. These agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers frequently purchase coverage from captives mostly because of the prominence of the brand and the convenience of having a single billing for all their coverages.
Listed below is a short list of captive agencies in Mcallen willing to provide price quote information.
- State Farm Insurance – 701 E Expressway 83 – Mcallen, TX 78501 – (956) 632-6800
- Farmers Insurance Group – 419 Nolana St # A – Mcallen, TX 78504 – (956) 682-8731
- Allstate Insurance – 3705 N Ware Rd # 1 – Mcallen, TX 78501 – (956) 630-5988
For a full directory of Mcallen captive agents, visit this site.
Choosing an insurance agency requires more thought than just a cheap price. Ask your prospective agent these questions:
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
Upon getting positive feedback to any questions you have and locked in a price quote, it’s possible that you found an auto insurance agent that is a good match to insure your vehicles.
For more Texas car insurance information
Much more information about car insurance in Texas is available on the Texas Department of Insurance website. Click here for link. Texas consumers can file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, view a list of available companies, and find a variety of consumer forms.
The following articles may also be useful.
Do the work, save more money
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s very important that you do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many cases, drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage and found out when filing a claim that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
Lower-priced car insurance can be purchased on the web as well as from independent agents in Mcallen, and you need to price shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance companies don’t offer you the ability to get quotes online and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
Drivers who switch companies do it for a number of reasons such as denial of a claim, high rates after DUI convictions, policy non-renewal and even policy cancellation. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company is easier than you think.