Have you fallen victim to an overpriced auto insurance policy? Believe me, many consumers are feeling buyer’s remorse and feel like there’s no way out. Since consumers have many different company options, it can be hard to choose the lowest price provider.
You should make it a habit to get comparison quotes at least once a year because insurance rates tend to go up over time. Just because you found the best rates six months ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. So forget anything you know (or think you know) about auto insurance because we’re going to show you the easiest way to save money, get proper coverage and the best rates.
Buying the lowest cost auto insurance in Burnsville can be fairly easy. If you have insurance now or are looking for a new policy, you can follow these tips to get lower rates while maximizing coverage. Minnesota drivers only need an understanding of the tricks to shop for auto insurance on the web.
Do you qualify for a discount?
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but you may find discounts to reduce the price significantly. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at quote time, but some may not be applied and must be asked about before you will receive the discount. If you don’t get every credit available, you are throwing money away.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Require your teen driver to complete a driver education course if it’s offered in school.
- Discount for Swiching Early – Select companies give a discount for switching to them before your current expiration date. The savings is around 10%.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – If paying your policy premium upfront rather than paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Club Memberships – Being a member of a professional or civic organization is a good way to get lower rates on auto insurance.
- Drive Safe and Save – Drivers who don’t get into accidents may receive a discount up to 45% less than their less cautious counterparts.
- One Accident Forgiven – Some insurance companies permit an accident without raising rates as long as you don’t have any claims for a certain period of time.
- New Vehicle Savings – Insuring a new car can cost up to 25% less because new vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down can qualify you for a substantially lower rate.
- Federal Government Employee – Being employed by or retired from a federal job could cut as much as 10% off with select insurance companies.
It’s important to understand that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Even though it may seem like it’s possible to get free car insurance, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any qualifying discounts will cut your premiums.
Learn How to Buy Auto Insurance Cheaper
Consumers need to have an understanding of the rating factors that help determine your auto insurance rates. Understanding what controls the rates you pay allows you to make educated decisions that may reward you with better auto insurance rates.
- Having a spouse can save you money – Getting married can actually save you money when buying auto insurance. Having a significant other translates into being more mature than a single person and statistics show married drivers get in fewer accidents.
- Type of vehicle determines base rates – The make and model of the vehicle you own makes a huge difference in determining your rates. The most favorable rates are usually for small economy passenger models, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Small claims can cost you – If you are a frequent claim filer, you can definitely plan on higher rates. Companies in Minnesota generally give better rates to insureds who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Insurance coverage is intended for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Discounts for multiple policies – Most insurers provide better rates to insureds who consolidate policies with them in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you’re getting this discount you may still want to shop around to verify if the discount is saving money. You may still be able to find a better deal by insuring with multiple companies.
- Never go without insurance – Allowing your auto insurance policy to lapse is a guaranteed way to pay more for auto insurance. And not only will your rates increase, but not being able to provide proof of insurance might get you a license revocation or jail time.
- High crash test scores lower rates – Cars with high safety ratings get lower rates. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and fewer injuries means less money paid by your insurance company and lower rates for you.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention features like LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all aid in stopping your car from being stolen.
Your insurance agent down the street
A small number of people just want to buy from a licensed agent and that is just fine! Professional agents can help determine the best coverages and help file insurance claims. One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is the fact that you can find better rates and still choose a local agent. And providing support for local agencies is important particularly in Burnsville.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, the coverage information is sent to participating agents in Burnsville who will return price quotes for your coverage. You won’t need to leave your house due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. Now that’s easy!
Two types of Burnsville auto insurance agents
When looking for a good Burnsville insurance agent, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents to choose from. Agencies in Burnsville can either be independent (non-captive) or captive. Both do a good job, but it’s good to learn the differences since it can impact your agent selection.
Independent agencies are not required to write business for one company so they can insure your vehicles with multiple insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If you are not satisfied with one company, your agent can switch companies and that require little work on your part.
When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to include price quotes from at least one independent agent for the best price selection.
Shown below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Burnsville who can help you get price quotes.
Horace Mann Insurance Co – 13786 Frontier Ct – Burnsville, MN 55337 – (952) 432-6981
IMC Agency Inc – 3225 Highway 13 W # 103 – Burnsville, MN 55337 – (952) 345-0571
Gerry Smith Agency – 1020 E 146th St # 107 – Burnsville, MN 55337 – (952) 432-7310
Insurance Marketing Ctr – 14500 Burnhaven Dr # 135 – Burnsville, MN 55306 – (952) 435-1606
James D Lunneborg Agency – 2420 E 117th St – Burnsville, MN 55337 – (952) 881-8866
This type of agents can only write with one company like State Farm, AAA and Liberty Mutual. They are unable to compare other company’s rates so they have no alternatives for high prices. Captive agents are well schooled on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Listed below are Burnsville captive insurance agents that are able to give comparison quotes.
American Family Insurance – 14587 Grand Ave – Burnsville, MN 55306 – (952) 435-7222
Farmers Insurance Group – 2500 County Road 42 W # 220 – Burnsville, MN 55337 – (952) 890-9890
State Farm Insurance – 2000 Old County Road 34 Pl – Burnsville, MN 55337 – (952) 894-6404
To view a complete directory of captive agents in Burnsville, please click here.
Deciding on a car insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just the premium amount. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Do the companies they represent have a solid financial rating?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- What insurance companies do they work with?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
- How much will you save each year by using a higher deductible?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
Once you have positive responses and an acceptable price quote, you’ve probably found an insurance agent that will properly insure your vehicles.
Much more information about auto insurance in Minnesota is available on the website for the Minnesota Department of Commerce found here. Minnesota drivers can discover disciplinary actions, learn about specific coverages, find a variety of consumer forms, and view agent and company licensing information.
Smart consumers save more
As you restructure your insurance plan, make sure you don’t skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later that it was a big mistake. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price while still protecting your assets.
Low-cost auto insurance can be sourced both online and also from your neighborhood Burnsville agents, and you should be comparing both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. There are still a few companies who may not provide the ability to get a quote online and these regional insurance providers work with independent agents.