I can’t think of anyone who likes paying for auto insurance, especially knowing their premiums are through the roof. There are many auto insurance companies to pick from, and even though it’s nice to have a selection, having more car insurance companies makes it harder to find the lowest rates.
You need to compare rates at least once a year due to the fact that insurance rates fluctuate regularly. Just because you found the best rates six months ago you can probably find a lower rate today. Starting now, forget all the misinformation about auto insurance because you’re going to learn one of the best ways to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
This information will tell you the best way to quote coverages and some tricks to saving. If you are paying for car insurance now, you will most likely be able to save some money using these tips. Minnesota consumers only need to know the best way to get comparison quotes over the internet.
Which Auto Insurance is Cheapest in Austin?
There are a lot of ways you can shop for auto insurance and some are less time-consuming than others. You could waste a few hours driving to insurance agencies in Austin, or you can stay home and use the web to get pricing more quickly.
All the larger companies take part in a program where prospective buyers only type in their quote data once, and each participating company then returns a price quote based on the submitted data. This eliminates the need for quote forms to each company.
To compare rates using this form now click here (opens in new window).
The one disadvantage to pricing coverage this way is that consumers can’t choose which providers you want pricing from. If you would rather choose specific providers to compare rates, we have a listing of the cheapest auto insurance companies in Minnesota. Click here to view list.
Whichever method you choose, be sure to compare the exact same quote information with every price quote. If each company quotes different values for each quote it’s not possible to determine the lowest rate in Austin.
Do you really save 40% when you switch?
Minnesota consumers can’t ignore all the ads that promise big savings by Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm. All the ads make the same claim that you can save if you change to their company.
But how can every company make almost identical claims? It’s all in the numbers.
All the different companies are able to cherry pick for the type of customer that is profitable for them. For instance, a preferred risk might be between the ages of 30 and 50, has no driving citations, and chooses high deductibles. Any new insured that hits that “sweet spot” gets the lowest rates and most likely will save a lot of money.
Consumers who fall outside this ideal profile will be quoted higher prices which leads to business not being written. The ads say “customers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much money. That is how insurance companies can advertise the savings.
This emphasizes why drivers must quote coverage with many companies. It’s not possible to predict which auto insurance company will have the lowest rates.
These discounts can slash auto insurance rates
Car insurance can cost a lot, buy you may qualify for discounts that you may not even be aware of. A few discounts will automatically apply at the time of purchase, but some may not be applied and must be asked for before they will apply. If you’re not getting every credit possible, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Defensive Driving Course – Successfully completing a course in driver safety can save you 5% or more if you qualify.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accidents.
- Drive Less and Save – Fewer annual miles could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Senior Discount – Mature drivers may qualify for reduced rates.
- Payment Discounts – If you pay your entire premium ahead of time instead of paying each month you could save up to 5%.
- Resident Student – Kids in college who live away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Being a homeowner may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
Drivers should understand that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any qualifying discounts will help reduce the amount you have to pay.
When might I need the advice of an agent?
When it comes to choosing coverage, there is no cookie cutter policy. Everyone’s situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that For instance, these questions can help discover whether or not you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Does my vehicle need full coverage?
- What companies insure drivers after a DUI or DWI?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- What is the minimum liability in Minnesota?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Do I have coverage if my license is suspended?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Does my medical payments coverage pay my health insurance deductible?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
More information is available on the website for the Minnesota Department of Commerce. Click here for link. Visitors are able to get help finding coverage, find out industry alerts, discover disciplinary actions, and learn about specific coverages.
The following information may also be useful.
- 6 Best Tips to Lower Auto Insurance Costs in Austin Texas
- Get Auto Insurance Comparison Quotes From Austin Texas Insurance Agents
- Expert Advice on Saving Money on Austin Texas Auto Insurance
One last thing
We’ve covered a lot of ways to get a better price on auto insurance. The key thing to remember is the more you quote, the better chance you’ll have of finding lower rates. You may even discover the lowest premiums are with a smaller regional carrier. Regional companies can often provide lower rates in certain areas as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive and GEICO.
As you prepare to switch companies, it’s not a good idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. There are many occasions where consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that they should have had better coverage. The ultimate goal is to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate, not the least amount of coverage.