Feeling guilty for buying an overpriced auto insurance policy? It’s a common feeling and there are many Bar Harbor drivers thinking the same thing. Big companies like State Farm, Progressive and GEICO constantly bombard you with ads and it is challenging if not impossible to ignore the propoganda and take the time to shop coverage around.
If you currently have car insurance, you should be able to lower your premiums substantially using this information. Finding affordable coverage in Bar Harbor is not that difficult. But Maine vehicle owners must learn the methods companies use to compete online because it can help you find the best coverage.
Auto insurance companies offer many discounts
Some insurers don’t list all available discounts very clearly, so here is a list a few of the more well known as well as some of the hidden savings tricks you should be using when you . If you do not double check each discount you deserve, you could be getting lower rates.
- Clubs and Organizations – Affiliation with qualifying employment or professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates on your policy.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a deployed family member may qualify for rate reductions.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS braking systems or traction control are much safer to drive and will save you 10% or more.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more than drivers with accident claims.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking part in a safe driver class could possibly earn you a 5% discount and make you a better driver.
- E-sign Discounts</strong – Some of the larger companies will give a small break for buying your policy on the internet.
- No Charge for an Accident – This one isn’t a discount, but some insurance companies will let one accident slide before your rates go up if you have no claims for a certain period of time.
- Student Discounts – Maintaining excellent grades may save you up to 25%. Many companies even apply the discount to college students well after school through age 25.
One last thing about discounts, some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Just because you may think all those discounts means the company will pay you, you won’t be that lucky.
To view companies that offer the discounts shown above in Maine, follow this link.
Do drivers who switch really save?
Respected companies like Allstate, GEICO and Progressive constantly bombard you with television and radio advertisements. All the companies make the same claim that you’ll save big just by switching to their company. How is it possible that every company can cost less than your current company? It’s all in the words they use.
All the different companies have underwriting criteria for the type of customer that will be a good risk. For example, a profitable insured might be described as over the age of 45, has other policies, and drives newer vehicles. A customer that fits those parameters receives the best car insurance rates and will also save a lot if they switch.
Consumers who do not match these stringent criteria may be required to pay a more expensive rate and this can result in business not being written. The trick companies use is to say “drivers that switch” not “everyone that quotes” can save as much as they claim. This is how companies can truthfully advertise the way they do. Because of this risk profiling, drivers must get as many as possible. Because you cannot predict which company will have better rates than you’re paying now.
More tips and info about auto insurance can be read at the Maine Bureau of Insurance website. Maine drivers can find a variety of consumer forms, view a list of available companies, report car insurance fraud, and find out which companies have the most complaints.
The best insurance company isn’t always the cheapest
We’ve covered quite a bit of information on how to compare auto insurance rates online. The key thing to remember is the more quotes you get, the better your chances of lowering your car insurance rates. You may even discover the best rates are with the smaller companies. These companies may have significantly lower car insurance rates on certain market segments compared to the large companies like GEICO and State Farm.
Some insurance companies may not offer rate quotes online and most of the time these regional carriers only sell coverage through local independent agents. The cheapest auto insurance is attainable online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to compare both to have the best rate selection.