Using the web to shop for Barboursville car insurance is challenging if you have never used quoting online. But relax because using the internet to shop for car insurance is actually quite easy.
How your Barboursville rates are determined
Smart consumers have a good feel for the different types of things that go into determining your car insurance rates. When you know what positively or negatively influences your rates enables informed choices that could result in lower car insurance prices.
Listed below are a partial list of the pieces car insurance companies consider when setting premiums.
- Liability coverage is peace of mind – Liability insurance provides coverage when a court rules you are at fault for causing damage or personal injury in an accident. It will provide you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is quite affordable compared to physical damage coverage, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Big city or small town – Choosing to live in small towns and rural areas has it’s advantages when it comes to car insurance. Fewer people means reduced accidents and also fewer theft and vandalism claims. Drivers in populated West Virginia areas have to deal with congested traffic and a longer drive to work. More time on the road means higher likelihood of an accident.
- How credit affects car insurance rates – Credit rating is a important factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. Consumers who have high credit ratings tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with lower ratings. Therefore, if your credit score can use some improvement, you could be paying less to insure your by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- Don’t get talked into coverage you don’t need – There are quite a few additional coverages you can purchase on your car insurance policy. Insurance for vanishing deductibles, better glass coverage and membership fees may be wasting your money. They may seem like a good idea at first, but your needs may have changed so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Purchasing a vehicle with an alarm system can help bring down rates. Theft prevention devices such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all aid in stopping your car from being stolen.
- Higher safety ratings means cheaper insurance – Vehicles with high crash test scores can get you lower premiums. Safe vehicles protect occupants better and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company and lower rates for you.
- Cautious drivers pay less – A bad driving record has a big impact on rates. Drivers who don’t get tickets have lower premiums compared to drivers with tickets. Even a single speeding ticket can bump up the cost by twenty percent. If you have flagrant violations such as DUI or reckless driving may find they need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) to the state department of motor vehicles in order to keep their license.
- Men fork out a little more – Statistics demonstrate women are more cautious behind the wheel. Now that doesn’t mean women are BETTER drivers than men. Men and women are in accidents at about the same rate, but the male of the species tend to have more serious accidents. Men also tend to receive more costly citations such as DWI and reckless driving.
Take advantage of discounts
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always list all their discounts very clearly, so we took the time to find both well-publicized and also the lesser-known discounts you could be receiving. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Sign Early and Save – Some companies give discounts for switching to them before your current policy expires. It can save you around 10%.
- Multi-car Discount – Buying insurance for more than one vehicle on one policy qualifies for this discount.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Factory air bags or automatic seat belts can receive discounts of up to 25% or more.
- Sign Online – Certain companies may give you up to $50 just for signing your application over the internet.
- Claim Free – Drivers who don’t have accidents can save substantially compared to frequent claim filers.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking a course teaching defensive driving skills can save you 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Military Rewards – Being on active duty in the military could mean lower rates.
- Accident Waiver – Some insurance companies allow you one accident before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free for a set time period.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Fewer annual miles could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with one company you could get a discount of up to 20% off your total premium.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some credits don’t apply to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like all the discounts add up to a free policy, companies don’t profit that way.
For a list of companies with the best car insurance discounts in West Virginia, click here to view.
But I want to work with a local agent
Certain consumers would prefer to talk to a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Insurance agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help in the event of a claim. One of the best bonuses of comparing rates online is that you can obtain lower rates but also keep your business local.
After completing this form (opens in new window), the quote information is sent to companies in Barboursville who will return price quotes for your business. You never need to leave your computer since price quotes are sent directly to your email. Now that’s easy!
Deciding on an provider requires more thought than just a cheap price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
Listed below are Barboursville auto insurance companies that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Maynard Insurance Inc – 6416 Us Route 60 E, Barboursville, WV 25504 – (304) 736-4455
- State Farm Insurance – 6367 Us Route 60 E, Barboursville, WV 25504 – (304) 736-6100
- Allstate Insurance – 6421 Us Route 60 E, Barboursville, WV 25504 – (304) 733-4909
- Woodmen Of The World Insurance – 5950 Us Route 60 E, Barboursville, WV 25504 – (304) 736-5090
For a full directory of car insurance agents in Barboursville, simply jump to this page.
After getting good answers to all your questions and a low price estimate, it’s possible that you found an provider that will properly service your car insurance policy.
Is there deception in advertising?
Consumers in West Virginia can’t get away from ads for cheaper car insurance by companies like State Farm and Allstate. They all make an identical promise that you can save if you switch to them.
How does each company claim to save you money? This is how they do it.
Different companies have a preferred profile for the driver that is profitable for them. For example, a driver they prefer might be over the age of 50, is a homeowner, and has great credit. A customer getting a price quote who fits that profile is entitled to the best price and therefore will cut their rates substantially.
Consumers who fall outside this ideal profile must pay more money and ends up with business going elsewhere. The ads say “customers that switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much. That is how insurance companies can claim big savings. This illustrates why it is so important to get as many quotes as possible. You cannot predict which insurance companies will give you the biggest savings.
Which insurance is the “right” coverage?
When it comes to buying coverage for your vehicles, there really is not a perfect coverage plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else’s.
These are some specific questions can help discover if you might need professional guidance.
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in West Virginia?
- Will my vehicle be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- What is covered by UM/UIM coverage?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my vehicle to commute?
- Should I buy only the required West Virginia minimum liability coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It only takes a few minutes and you can get the answers you need.
Additional resources for West Virginia consumers
More detailed West Virginia car insurance information can be read at the West Virginia Insurance Commission website. West Virginia drivers can read state legal mandates and laws, get help finding coverage, and read industry bulletins.
As you shop your coverage around, do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are too many instances where an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford while not skimping on critical coverages.
In this article, we covered quite a bit of information on how to compare car insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more companies you get rates for, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Consumers could even find that the lowest priced car insurance comes from a small local company.
Insureds leave their current company for any number of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, delays in paying claims, high prices or even lack of trust in their agent. No matter why you want to switch, choosing a new insurance company is easier than you think.