Have you fallen victim to an overpriced auto insurance policy? Say no more because there are lots of people in the same boat. You have so many insurers to choose from, and even though it’s nice to have a selection, lots of choices makes it harder to compare rates.
Finding cheaper auto insurance in Bucksport is simple if you know the tricks. Basically, everyone who buys auto insurance should be able to find better rates. Although Maine drivers need to learn how the larger insurance companies sell insurance online and use this information to your advantage.
Performing a rate comparison can be challenging if you don’t understand the easiest way. You can waste hours talking to insurance companies in Bucksport, or you can utilize online quoting to get rates in a matter of minutes.
Most of the best insurance companies are enrolled in a marketplace where insurance shoppers submit their information once, and at least one company returns a rated price for coverage. This eliminates the need for quote forms to every company.
To submit your quote information now, click here to start a free quote.
One minor caviat to comparing rates this way is that you can’t choose which companies you want pricing from. If you would rather choose from a list of companies to compare prices, we have a listing of the cheapest auto insurance companies in Maine. Click to view list.
Whichever way you use, compare the exact same deductibles and coverage limits with each company. If your comparisons have different limits and deductibles on each one it will be next to impossible to make a fair rate comparison in Bucksport. Just slight variations in insurance coverages could throw off the whole comparison. Just keep in mind that getting more free quotes helps improve the odds of finding more affordable insurance.
Discounts for affordable auto insurance quotes
Some companies don’t always advertise every disount available very clearly, so the list below contains some of the best known in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that may be available.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Fewer annual miles may allow you to get discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- ABS Brakes – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with ABS braking systems or traction control are much safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Drive Safe and Save – Safe drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than less cautious drivers.
- Driver Safety – Taking a course teaching driver safety skills could cut 5% off your bill and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- New Car Discount – Adding a new car to your policy can save up to 30% since newer vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Forcing all vehicle occupants to use a seat belt could save 15% on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Memberships – Belonging to specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations may earn a discount on your next auto insurance statement.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Even though it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Some of the larger companies that may offer policyholders these money-saving discounts are:
It’s a good idea to ask every prospective company to apply every possible discount. Some credits might not be available to policyholders in Bucksport.
Auto insurance quotes from neighborhood Bucksport auto insurance agents
Certain consumers would prefer to buy from a licensed agent and often times that is recommended An additional benefit of price shopping on the web is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates and still choose a local agent. Supporting neighborhood insurance agencies is definitely important in Bucksport.
By using this simple form, your information is immediately sent to insurance agents in Bucksport that can give you and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t need to contact any agents as quotes are delivered to you directly. You can most likely find cheaper rates and work with a local agent. If you need to get a comparison quote from one company in particular, you would need to navigate to their website and fill out their quote form.
Do you need an independent or captive car insurance agent?
If you want to buy auto insurance from a reliable insurance agency, you need to know there are two different types of agents and how they are distinctly different. Bucksport agents may be either captive agents or independent agents.
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Independent insurance agents are not limited to a single company so they can write business with an assortment of companies and find you the best rates. If your agent finds better pricing, they simply switch companies in-house and you don’t have to find a new agent.
When comparing rates, it’s a good idea to contact multiple independent agents in order to have the best price comparison.
Listed below is a list of independent agents in Bucksport that can possibly get you free auto insurance rate quotes.
Roland Grindle Insurance – 159 Us Route 1 – Bucksport, ME 04416 – (207) 469-3623
Captive Auto Insurance Agencies
Captive agencies work for only one company like State Farm, Allstate, and Farm Bureau. Captive agencies are unable to provide prices from multiple companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Captives receive a lot of sales training on sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage.
Picking the best auto insurance agent should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- How long has the business existed?
- Which family members are covered?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
How insurance providers determine premiums
Multiple criteria are considered when pricing auto insurance. Some of the criteria are obvious like a motor vehicle report, although some other factors are more obscure such as whether you are married and annual miles driven.
The following are most of the major factors auto insurance companies consider when setting your premiums.
- Higher comp and collision deductibles are cheaper – Insurance for physical damage to your car, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are a broken side mirror, hitting a deer, and damage from a fallen tree branch. Your deductibles represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. The more of the claim you’re willing to pay, the better rate you will receive.
- Guys pay higher premiums – Over the last 30 years, statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. However, don’t assume that women are BETTER drivers than men. Women and men are responsible for auto accidents in similar percentages, but the men have accidents that have higher claims. Men also receive more major tickets like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Teenage male drivers generally have the highest accident percentage and thus pay the highest rates.
- Bad drivers pay high premiums – Having just one ticket can bump up the cost substantially. Careful drivers pay less for auto insurance compared to drivers with tickets. Drivers who have careless tickets such as DUI or reckless driving may need to maintain a SR-22 with their state’s department of motor vehicles in order to keep their license.
- Drive fewer miles and save – The more you drive annually the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Almost all companies charge rates based on how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks that have low annual miles receive lower rates compared to those used for work or business. Verify your auto insurance coverage is showing the proper vehicle usage, because improper ratings can cost you money.
- How credit rating affects auto insurance prices – Having a good credit history can be a huge factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. People that have very high credit ratings tend to be more responsible as compared to drivers with lower credit scores. Therefore, if your credit leaves room for improvement, you could save money insuring your vehicle by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- Performance affects insurance costs – The performance level of the car you drive makes a substantial difference in your auto insurance rates. The cheapest rates tend to be for lower cost passenger vehicles, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Discounts for married couples – Having a spouse may save some money when shopping for auto insurance. Having a significant other may mean you are more mature than a single person and it’s proven that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- More than one policy can earn a discount – Lots of insurers will award better rates for people that purchase more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. This can amount to ten or even fifteen percent. If you currently are using one company, consumers should still check prices from other companies to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
Is there truth in advertising?
Popular auto insurance providers such as State Farm and Allstate endlessly run ads on TV and radio. They all seem to advertise claims about savings if you switch your auto insurance policy to them. How does each company charge less that you’re paying now? This is the way they can do it.
Different companies provide the lowest rates for the type of customer that will generate a profit. A good example of this type of insured might have to be between the ages of 40 and 55, has no prior claims, and has excellent credit. A driver that fits those parameters will most likely get cheap premium rates and is almost guaranteed to cut their rates if they switch.
Potential insureds who do not match the ideal profile will get more expensive rates and this results in the customer not purchasing. The wording the ads use say “people who switch” not “all people who quote” can save as much as they claim. That’s the way companies can truthfully make those claims.
This really illustrates why you need to compare price quotes frequently. It’s impossible to know with any certainty which company will fit your personal profile best.
One last thing about your coverage
When buying insurance coverage, it’s not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. Too many times, an accident victim reduced physical damage coverage only to regret they didn’t have enough coverage. Your goal should be to purchase plenty of coverage at an affordable rate, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
We covered quite a bit of information on how to compare auto insurance prices online. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the better your chances of lowering your rates. You may even find the best prices are with some of the lesser-known companies. Some small companies often have lower rates on specific markets than their larger competitors like State Farm and Allstate.
Additional information is available on the found here. Maine consumers can learn about specific coverages, view a list of available companies, and read enforcement actions against agents and companies.