Shopping online for Cambridge auto insurance might seem complicated at first if you’ve never compared online quotes. Don’t let that stop you because using the internet to shop for auto insurance is actually quite easy.
Buying car insurance in Cambridge is quite easy. If you currently have car insurance, you will be able to cut costs considerably using these techniques. Nevertheless, Massachusetts vehicle owners can benefit by having an understanding of the way insurance companies market on the web and apply this information to your search.
Policy discounts you shouldn’t miss
Auto insurance companies don’t always advertise all available discounts in an easy-to-find place, so we researched some of the more common and the harder-to-find savings tricks you should be using.
- Low Mileage – Low mileage vehicles can qualify you for lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Multiple Vehicles – Buying coverage for multiple vehicles on the same auto insurance policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking part in a course in driver safety can save you 5% or more and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Homeowners Pay Less – Simply owning a home can save you money because maintaining a house demonstrates responsibility.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could save 15% off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Bundle and Save – When you combine your home and auto insurance with the same insurance company you may earn up to 20% off your total premium.
- Paperless Signup – A handful of insurance companies will give a small break for buying a policy and signing up over the internet.
It’s important to understand that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So when it seems like you can get free auto insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
For a list of providers who offer auto insurance discounts in Cambridge, follow this link.
Shop online but buy locally
Certain consumers would prefer to buy from a local agent. The biggest benefit of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find lower rates and still choose a local agent.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your insurance data is instantly submitted to insurance agents in Cambridge who will compete to get your business. There is no need to even leave your home as quotes are delivered to your email. How cool is that?! It’s the lowest rates AND a local agent.
Selecting an insurer should depend on more than just the price. Any agent should be forthright in answering these questions:
- How are claims handled?
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Do they make recommendations based only on price?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- What is the agency’s Better Business Bureau rating?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
Listed below are Cambridge insurers that may be able to provide comparison quotes.
- Platinum Insurance – 1776 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge, MA 02140 – (617) 547-7666
- Foti Insurance – 402 Cambridge St, Cambridge, MA 02141 – (617) 876-6769
For a full directory of Cambridge insurance agents, view this link.
After receiving reasonable responses to these questions and an acceptable price quote, you have narrowed it down to a company that can adequately provide auto insurance.
How can State Farm, Allstate and GEICO save drivers who switch?
State Farm, Allstate and GEICO continually stream ads on TV and radio. All the companies say the same thing that you can save after switching your coverage to them. How do they all make the same claim?
All the different companies have a certain “appetite” for the right customer that makes them money. A good example of a desirable insured could possibly be over the age of 50, has no driving citations, and has a high credit rating. A customer getting a price quote who matches those parameters is entitled to the best price and as a result will probably save when switching.
Potential customers who fall outside the requirements will be quoted higher prices which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ads say “customers who switch” not “people who quote” save money. This is how companies can state the savings. This emphasizes why you need to compare as many rates as you can. It’s just too difficult to predict which company will have the lowest rates.
Even more information can be found at the Massachusetts Division of Insurance website. Massachusetts consumers can read enforcement actions against agents and companies, find disaster information, and learn about specific coverages.
Cheaper insurance is a realistic goal
We just presented a lot of tips how to shop for auto insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding lower rates. Consumers could even find that the lowest priced auto insurance comes from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
Budget-conscious auto insurance is definitely available from both online companies and with local Cambridge insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance providers do not offer online price quotes and many times these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s not a good idea to buy poor coverage just to save money. In many instances, someone sacrificed collision coverage and discovered at claim time they didn’t have enough coverage. Your goal should be to get the best coverage possible at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.