Having to pay for overpriced auto insurance can bleed your accounts and require stricter spending habits. Performing a price comparison is free and is an excellent way to make ends meet.
Due to the abundance of choices, it is very difficult to find the right auto insurance company.
The purpose of this article is to tell you how car insurance quotes work and some tricks to saving. If you currently have car insurance, you stand a good chance to be able to cut costs considerably using these tips. South Carolina vehicle owners only need an understanding of the best way to find the lowest price online.
Auto insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but you can get discounts to help offset the cost. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you quote, but some must be inquired about before being credited. If you are not receiving all the discounts possible, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Own a Home and Save – Just being a homeowner can get you a discount since home ownership is proof of financial responsibility.
- Paperless Signup – A few larger online companies will give you a small discount online.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – Not really a discount, but companies like State Farm, Progressive and GEICO permit an accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- Pay Now and Pay Less – By paying your entire bill at once rather than paying monthly you may reduce your total bill.
- Early Signing – Some companies give discounts for buying a new policy prior to the expiration date on your current policy. You could save around 10% when you .
- Multi-car Discount – Purchasing coverage when you have more than one vehicle on one policy can reduce the rates for all insured vehicles.
- Active Service Discounts – Being deployed in the military could be rewarded with lower premium rates.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may earn rate discounts of 25 to 30%.
- Theft Deterent System – Cars, trucks, and SUVs with anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Telematics Data Discounts – Chester drivers who agree to allow data collection to analyze driving patterns by using a telematics device such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system might see lower rates if they show good driving skills.
Policy discounts save money, but most discounts do not apply the the whole policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Just because it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any qualifying discounts should definitely cut the amount you have to pay.
The best auto insurance companies and their offered discounts are outlined below.
- Farm Bureau has discounts for safe driver, good student, renewal discount, youthful driver, multi-policy, and 55 and retired.
- State Farm may have discounts that include multiple policy, accident-free, safe vehicle, anti-theft, defensive driving training, and good student.
- Progressive discounts include multi-vehicle, homeowner, good student, online signing, multi-policy, online quote discount, and continuous coverage.
- Allstate has savings for early signing, good student, 55 and retired, farm vehicle, multi-policy, new car, and anti-theft.
- Nationwide may include discounts for business or organization, multi-policy, family plan, easy pay, Farm Bureau membership, and defensive driving.
- MetLife offers premium reductions for accident-free, multi-policy, claim-free, good student, defensive driver, good driver
Double check with all the companies which discounts they offer. A few discounts may not be offered in Chester. To see insurers offering auto insurance discounts in South Carolina, follow this link.
How to lower your auto insurance prices
A large part of saving on auto insurance is knowing the rating factors that help determine your policy premiums. When consumers understand what impacts premium levels, this enables informed choices that may reward you with better auto insurance rates. Lots of things are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. Some of the criteria are obvious such as traffic violations, but other factors are less obvious such as your credit history or how financially stable you are.
The itemized list below are a few of the things used by insurance companies to determine your prices.
- Youthful drivers pay more – Older drivers are more cautious drivers, tend to cause fewer accidents and receive fewer citations.Teen drivers are known to be inattentive and easily distracted when driving and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Your vocation and auto insurance rates – Careers such as lawyers, architects and miners tend to pay higher premiums than the average policyholder in part from high stress and lengthy work days. Other jobs such as farmers, students and the unemployed have the lowest average rates.
- High auto insurance claims frequency drives up auto insurance rates – Auto insurance companies in South Carolina generally give cheaper rates to policyholders who are claim-free. If you are a frequent claim filer, you can expect increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Your insurance policy is meant to be used in the event of the bigger claims that can’t be paid out-of-pocket.
- Single drivers take more risk – Walking down the aisle can actually save you money on your auto insurance policy. Having a spouse generally demonstrates drivers are less irresponsible and it’s proven that being married results in fewer claims.
Are auto insurance companies telling the truth?
Consumers in South Carolina can’t get away from all the ads for the lowest price auto insurance from the likes of Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm. All the ads make the same claim about savings if you just switch your coverage to them.
How is it possible that every company can cost less than your current company? Here is how they do it.
Most companies give the cheapest rates for the type of driver that will most likely be profitable. For example, a desirable insured might be over the age of 45, has a low-risk occupation, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. Any driver who fits those characteristics will probably get cheap car insurance rates and therefore will cut their rates if they switch.
Consumers who do not fit these stringent criteria will see more expensive rates and ends up with the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The wording the ads use say “drivers who switch” not “everyone who quotes” can save as much as they claim. This is how companies can make those claims.
This really illustrates why you really should compare often. It is impossible to predict which insurance companies will have the best car insurance rates for your profile.
More sites with auto insurance information
More information can be read on the located here. Visitors are able to file complaints about an insurance agent or broker, report car insurance fraud, and read state legal mandates and laws.
The following articles may also be useful.
- Basic Steps to Find the Best Insurance Agent in Colchester
- Auto Insurance in Winchester 7 Discounts You Might be Unaware of
- Tested Strategies for Low-Cost Rochester, NH Auto Insurance
Lower rates by being persistent
In this article, we covered a lot of information how to get a better price on auto insurance. The most important thing to understand is the more you , the better your chances of lowering your prices. You may even find the biggest savings come from a small mutual company. Some small companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
A few companies do not provide online rate quotes and many times these smaller companies prefer to sell through local independent agencies. Budget-friendly auto insurance is available from both online companies and from local insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both to get a complete price analysis.