Are you overwhelmed by the dozens of auto insurance companies in Dothan? Lot’s of other consumers are too. People have so many options that it can quickly become a real challenge to find the perfect company for you.
This information will let you in on how to get online quotes and some tips to save money. If you currently have a car insurance policy, you should be able to cut costs considerably using these techniques. Although Alabama drivers need to have an understanding of how insurance companies sell online.
Why your price might be higher
It’s important that you understand the rating factors that come into play when calculating the price you pay for auto insurance. Knowing what controls the rates you pay enables informed choices that could result in much lower annual insurance costs.
The list below includes some of the factors auto insurance companies consider when setting premiums.
- Increase deductibles and save – Deductibles for physical damage represent how much money you are required to spend in the event of a claim. Physical damage insurance, also known as collision and other-than-collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims are colliding with a building, damage caused by hail, and windstorm damage. The more you’re willing to pay, the lower your rates will be.
- High crash test scores lower rates – Safer cars get lower rates. These vehicles reduce injuries and any reduction in injury severity translates into savings for insurance companies and lower rates for you.
- Where you reside plays a part – Being located in less populated areas has it’s advantages when it comes to auto insurance. Drivers in populated areas tend to have congested traffic and longer commutes to work. Less people living in that area means reduced accidents and a lower car theft rate.
- Lower rates with optional equipment – Driving a car that has an advanced theft prevention system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Theft prevention devices such as LoJack tracking devices, vehicle tamper alarm systems or GM’s OnStar system all hinder your car from being stolen.
- Is your vehicle built for speed? – The performance of the vehicle you are buying insurance for makes a substantial difference in your rates. The lowest base rates tend to be for lower performance four cylinder passenger models, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
These discounts can slash auto insurance rates
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but there could be available discounts that many people don’t even know exist. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically when you quote, but a few must be asked for before being credited.
- Discount for New Cars – Buying coverage on a new vehicle can cost up to 25% less compared to insuring an older model.
- Anti-theft System – Vehicles with anti-theft systems can help prevent theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to use their safety belts can save up to 15% off your PIP or medical payments premium.
- Life Insurance Discount – Select insurance companies reward you with a break if you buy life insurance from them.
- Homeowners Discount – Owning a home in Dothan may trigger a auto insurance policy discount because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
- Save over 55 – If you’re over the age of 55, you may receive a discount up to 10%.
- Claim Free – Claim-free drivers can save substantially when compared with frequent claim filers.
- Paperless Signup – A handful of insurance companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up digitally online.
- Multiple Cars – Buying insurance for all your vehicles on the same auto insurance policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Low Mileage Discounts – Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
It’s important to understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it doesn’t quite work that way. Any qualifying discounts will bring down the cost of coverage.
For a list of insurance companies offering auto insurance discounts in Alabama, click this link.
Are insurance agents a thing of the past?
Some people would prefer to buy from a local agent and that is just fine! The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is the fact that you can find the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. Supporting small agencies is definitely important in Dothan.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this quick form, your coverage information is instantly submitted to insurance agents in Dothan who will battle for your insurance coverage. There is no need to leave your computer due to the fact that quote results will go to your email. How’s that for easy! It’s the lowest rates and an insurance agent to talk to.
If you wish to view a list of agents in Dothan to contact, please click here.
Picking an insurance company shouldn’t rely on just a low price. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Who are their largest clients?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Does the company allow you to choose your own collision repair facility?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Do they receive special compensation for putting your coverage with one company over another?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
Once you have received positive feedback to any questions you have as well as a affordable price, chances are good that you have found an insurance company that is a good match to properly insure your vehicles.
Don’t believe everything you hear
Auto insurance companies such as Allstate, Geico and Progressive consistently run television and radio advertisements. They all seem to say the same thing that you’ll save big if you change your policy. How does each company say the same thing?
Insurance companies are able to cherry pick for the driver that is profitable for them. A good example of a driver they prefer could be over the age of 40, has no tickets, and has great credit. A driver who meets those qualifications receives the best rates and as a result will probably pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
Drivers who are not a match for these standards must pay a more expensive rate which leads to the driver buying from a lower-cost company. The ad wording is “customers who switch” not “everybody who quotes” save that much. That’s the way companies can claim big savings.
This illustrates why drivers should get as many comparisons as possible. It’s not possible to predict which insurance companies will have the lowest rates.
Informative consumer insurance sites
Additional information is located on the Alabama Department of Insurance website located here. Visitors are able to learn about insurance regulations, find disaster information, view a list of available companies, and find out industry alerts.
Quote often and quote early
When trying to cut insurance costs, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced full coverage only to regret that the savings was not a smart move. Your aim should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best price.
We’ve covered a lot of information how to reduce auto insurance prices online. It’s most important to understand that the more you quote, the better likelihood of reducing your rate. Consumers may even find the lowest rates come from a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising.
Budget-conscious auto insurance can be bought both online in addition to many Dothan insurance agents, so you should compare both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance providers do not provide you the ability to get quotes online and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.