Shopping online for Fitchburg auto insurance can seem complicated if you have never used online quotes. But don’t be discouraged because using the internet to shop for auto insurance is actually quite easy.
Consumers should take time to compare rates yearly because insurance rates fluctuate regularly. Just because you found the best rates last year other companies may now be cheaper. There is a lot of wrong information about auto insurance on the internet, so I’m going to show you some great ideas on how to buy auto insurance cheaper.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
The price of auto insurance can be rather high, but companies offer discounts that can drop the cost substantially. Certain discounts will be applied when you complete an application, but a few must be asked about before you will receive the discount. If they aren’t giving you every credit you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your policy upfront instead of paying each month you could save 5% or more.
- Seat Belts Save more than Lives – Requiring all passengers to buckle their seat belts can save up to 15% off your medical payments premium.
- Student in College – Kids in college living away from home attending college without a vehicle on campus can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Life Insurance Discount – Larger companies have a discount if you purchase life insurance from them.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having a family member in the military could be rewarded with lower premiums.
- Senior Citizens – Mature drivers may receive a small decrease in premiums.
Keep in mind that most credits do not apply to the entire cost. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Just because you may think you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way. But all discounts will cut the cost of coverage.
Comparison of Auto Insurance in Fitchburg, Massachusetts
There are multiple methods you can shop for auto insurance but some are less labor-intensive and much quicker. You could spend your day discussing policy coverages with agents in Fitchburg, or you could save time and use the internet for quick rates.
The majority of car insurance companies participate in a marketplace that enables customers to only type in their quote data once, and each company then gives them pricing based on the submitted data. This eliminates the need for quotation requests to each individual auto insurance company.
To fill out one form to compare multiple rates now click here to open in new window.
The only downside to using this type of form is buyers cannot specifically choose the insurers you want to price. If you wish to select individual companies to compare rates, we have a page of companies who write auto insurance in Massachusetts. View list of Massachusetts insurance companies.
However you get your quotes, ensure you are comparing exactly the same information with every price quote. If you use different limits and deductibles on each one you will not be able to determine the lowest rate in Fitchburg.
Learn How to Buy Auto Insurance Cheaper
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the different types of things that come into play when calculating the rates you pay for auto insurance. Understanding what influences your rates empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
The list below includes some of the factors used by your company to calculate rates.
- Lower miles equals lower premium – The more miles you rack up on your car in a year’s time the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. The majority of insurers rate vehicles based on their usage. Cars that are left in the garage get more affordable rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Verify your auto insurance policy is showing how each vehicle is driven.
- Liability coverage protects you – Liability coverage provides coverage if you are found liable for damages from an accident. Liability provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not skimp.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Just one moving violation can boost insurance rates by as much as thirty percent. Careful drivers have lower premiums than bad drivers. Drivers who have serious citations like reckless driving, hit and run or driving under the influence may need to file a proof of financial responsibility form (SR-22) with their state DMV in order to continue driving.
- Multi-policy discounts can save money – The majority of companies will award you with lower prices to insureds who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can be anywhere from five to ten percent in most cases. If you currently are using one company, you may still want to compare rates to ensure the best deal.
- Adjust deductibles and save – Physical damage insurance, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, protects your car from damage. Some instances where coverage would apply are collision with another vehicle, collision with an animal, and windstorm damage. Your deductibles are the amount of money you are required to spend out-of-pocket before a claim is paid by your company. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
- High performance equals high price – The type of car you drive makes a substantial difference in the rate you pay. Low performance passenger cars generally have the cheapest insurance rates, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
But I want to work with a local agent
Some consumers prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is OK! Licensed agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and help in the event of a claim. One of the best bonuses of price shopping on the web is you can get the best rates but still work with a licensed agent. Buying from local businesses is important particularly in Fitchburg.
For easy comparison, once you complete this short form, the coverage information is instantly submitted to participating agents in Fitchburg who will return price quotes to get your business. There is no need to even leave your home since price quotes are sent straight to your inbox. It doesn’t get any easier!
Two types of Fitchburg auto insurance agents
When looking for a local agent, there are two different types of agents from which to choose. Agents are either captive or independent (non-captive). Either one can insure your vehicles, but it’s good to learn how they are different because it can influence your selection of an agent.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents do not work for one specific company but rather can write business amongst many companies and potentially find a lower price. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can switch companies without you having to go to a different agency. When comparing rates, it’s a good idea to include several independent insurance agents for the best price selection. Many write coverage with smaller companies who may have lower rates.
Shown below are Fitchburg independent agencies willing to provide price quote information.
- Insurance Place Inc – 40 Summer St – Fitchburg, MA 01420 – (978) 345-6306
- Horace Mann Insurance Co – 203 Ashburnham Hill Rd – Fitchburg, MA 01420 – (978) 345-6013
Captive insurance agents have only one company to place business with and examples are Liberty Mutual, State Farm, Allstate and AAA. They are unable to shop your coverage around so keep that in mind. Captives are very knowledgeable on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage. Consumers sometimes purchase coverage from captives partially due to the prominence of the brand and strong financial ratings.
Picking an insurance agency requires more thought than just the price. These questions are important to ask:
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Do they assist clients in filing claims?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- How long has their agency been open in Fitchburg?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
Upon getting positive feedback to any questions you have and a good coverage price, you’ve probably found a car insurance agent that meets your needs to insure your vehicles.
Buyer beware of auto insurance advertising tricks
Consumers constantly see and hear ads for the lowest price auto insurance by companies like Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm. They all make the same claim that you’ll save big if you switch to them.
How can each company make the same claim? This is how they do it.
Different companies are able to cherry pick for the type of customer that makes them money. For example, a preferred risk might be over the age of 40, insures multiple vehicles, and chooses high deductibles. A customer who meets those qualifications will get very good rates and is almost guaranteed to save a lot of money.
Consumers who fall outside the “perfect” profile will have to pay higher prices and ends up with the customer not buying. The ad wording is “customers who switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much money. That is how insurance companies can advertise the way they do.
Because of the profiling, it is so important to compare many company’s rates. It’s just too difficult to predict which auto insurance company will have the lowest rates.
More comparisons equals lower rates
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, it’s a bad idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. There are many occasions where someone dropped full coverage and found out when filing a claim that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your strategy should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price while not skimping on critical coverages.
Low-cost auto insurance can be sourced from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Fitchburg, and you should be comparing both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies don’t offer online quoting and most of the time these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents.
People leave their current company for many reasons like policy cancellation, extreme rates for teen drivers, not issuing a premium refund and questionable increases in premium. It doesn’t matter what your reason, finding the right auto insurance provider is less work than it seems.
For more Massachusetts car insurance information
Much more information about auto insurance in Massachusetts is available on the Massachusetts Division of Insurance website. Click here for link. Consumers can learn about specific coverages, find disaster information, and find a variety of consumer forms.