Consumers who are new to the process of comparison shopping online will find buying affordable Laurel auto insurance quite difficult.
How to Lower Your Auto Insurance Cost in Laurel
Most companies allow you to get coverage prices online. The process is fairly simple as you simply enter into a form. Once entered, the system collects your driving and credit reports and returns a price quote.
This helps simplify price comparisons, but the work required to visit a lot of sites and enter the same data into a form is monotonous and tiresome. But it’s absolutely necessary to get many rate quotes in order to get the lowest possible prices on auto insurance.
There is an easier way!
A more efficient way to find better auto insurance pricing makes use of a single form that analyzes rates from several companies at one time. The form is fast, reduces the work, and makes online price comparison much easier. Once the form is submitted, it is quoted and you can select any or none of the price quotes you receive.
If the quotes result in lower rates, you can click and sign and buy the policy. This process can be completed in a matter of minutes and may result in a nice savings.
To use this form to compare rates, simply click here to open in new window and enter your vehicle and coverage information. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend that you enter exactly as shown on your declarations page. This ensures you’re receiving rate comparison quotes using the exact same coverages.
Are you getting all your discounts?
Insuring your vehicles can cost a lot, buy you may qualify for discounts to help offset the cost. Certain discounts will be applied when you get a quote, but a few must be requested specifically before you will receive the discount. If you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Good Student Discount – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. This discount can apply up to age 25.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home can save you money because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Student in College – Any of your kids living away from home attending college and don’t have a car may be able to be covered for less.
- Employee of Federal Government – Active or retired federal employment can save as much as 8% with a few auto insurance companies.
- Air Bag Discount – Vehicles equipped with air bags may earn rate discounts up to 30%.
- Memberships – Participating in a professional or civic organization may earn a discount when shopping for auto insurance.
- Braking Control Discount – Cars that have steering control and anti-lock brakes prevent accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Sign Early and Save – Select companies give a discount for switching to them before your current policy expires. It can save you around 10%.
As a disclaimer on discounts, some credits don’t apply to the entire policy premium. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comp or med pay. Even though it may seem like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies wouldn’t make money that way. Any amount of discount will cut your overall premium however.
To choose insurers who offer auto insurance discounts in Laurel, click here.
Educated Consumers Know How to Buy Auto Insurance Cheaper
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that go into determining your auto insurance rates. Understanding what determines base rates enables informed choices that could result in better auto insurance rates.
- Theft deterrents lower rates – Purchasing a vehicle that has an advanced theft prevention system can save you a little every year. Anti-theft devices such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all aid in stopping car theft.
- Younger drivers pay higher rates – More mature drivers are more responsible, file fewer claims and receive fewer citations. Youthful drivers are statistically proven to be less responsible when driving and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
- Being married is a good thing – Getting married helps lower the price when buying auto insurance. Having a significant other is viewed as being more responsible and it’s statistically proven that married couples file fewer claims.
- Where you live is a factor – Choosing to live in less populated areas can save you money when talking about auto insurance. Less people living in that area means reduced accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. Drivers in populated Mississippi areas have traffic congestion and a longer drive to work. More time commuting means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Credit scores impact auto insurance rates – Having a bad credit score is a important factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. Drivers who have good credit tend to be better drivers and file fewer claims than drivers who have lower credit ratings. If your credit is low, you could potentially save money when insuring your by spending a little time repairing your credit.
- Women pay lower rates – Statistics demonstrate women tend to be less risk to insure than men. However, don’t assume that women are BETTER drivers than men. Women and men tend to get into accidents at about the same rate, but men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also get cited for more serious violations like DUI and reckless driving.
- Is your vehicle built for speed? – The make and model of the vehicle you drive makes a substantial difference in how high your rates are. The cheapest insurance rates are usually for small economy passenger models, but the final cost of insurance is determined by many other factors.
Tailor your coverage to you
When it comes to buying the best auto insurance coverage, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s needs are different.
For instance, these questions can help discover whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- What are the best liability limits?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- What is high-risk coverage and where do I buy it?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Does my policy cover my teen driver if they drive my company car?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, free and can help protect your family.
Additional information can be read on the Mississippi Insurance Department website located here. Consumers can read industry bulletins, find disaster information, download brochures, and find a variety of consumer forms.
More related Laurel auto insurance information:
Don’t believe everything you hear
Mississippi drivers constantly see and hear ads that promise big savings from companies such as Progressive, Geico, Allstate and State Farm. They all seem to make an identical promise that you’ll save big if you move your policy.
How does each company say the same thing? It’s all in the numbers.
Insurance companies can use profiling for the type of customer that is profitable for them. For instance, a driver they prefer might be profiled as between 30 and 50, has no driving citations, and chooses high deductibles. A customer getting a price quote who meets those qualifications is entitled to the best price and is almost guaranteed to save quite a bit of money when switching.
Potential insureds who don’t measure up to the “perfect” profile must pay more money which usually ends up with business going elsewhere. The ads say “customers that switch” but not “drivers who get quotes” save that much. That’s why insurance companies can confidently claim big savings.
This illustrates why you absolutely need to quote coverage with many companies. It’s not possible to predict which insurance companies will give you the biggest savings.
More effort can pay off
When you buy insurance online, do not reduce coverage to reduce premium. There have been many situations where someone dropped full coverage and found out when filing a claim that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your focus should be to get the best coverage possible at an affordable rate while not skimping on critical coverages.
Low-cost auto insurance is definitely available both online in addition to many Laurel insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies do not provide online price quotes and these small, regional companies work with independent agents.
People leave their current company for a variety of reasons including policy cancellation, high prices, delays in paying claims or even high rates after DUI convictions. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new insurance company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.