Comparison shopping for cheap Lexington car insurance could be frustrating for drivers who are beginners to comparison shopping online. People have so many agents and companies to choose from that it can be a challenge to compare prices.
Save Money with these tips
Consumers need to have an understanding of some of the elements that play a part in calculating the level of your policy premiums. If you know what determines premiums, this enables informed choices that could result in lower rates. Many factors are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. A few of the factors are predictable like an MVR report, but others are less apparent like your vehicle usage and annual miles driven.
Shown below are a few of the things used by insurance companies to determine premiums.
- Do safer cars cost less to insure? – Safer cars cost less to insure. These vehicles reduce injuries and lower rates of occupant injuries means less claims paid and cheaper rates on your policy.
- Married people drive safer – Walking down the aisle may save some money compared to being single. Having a significant other is viewed as being more mature and responsible and statistics show married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- Urban areas may pay more – Having an address in less populated areas of the country can be a good thing when insuring your vehicles. Drivers in populated areas have to deal with more auto accidents and much longer commute distances. Fewer drivers and short commutes translates into fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate.
- Don’t cancel your policy without a new one in place – Driving with no insurance is a misdemeanor and any future policy may cost more because you let your insurance lapse for non-payment. Not only will rates go up, getting caught without coverage might get you a revoked license or a big fine.
- Your credit history is important – Having a bad credit score can be an important factor in calculating your car insurance rates. People that have excellent credit tend to file fewer claims than those with worse credit. If your credit history can use some improvement, you may save money insuring your vehicle by improving your rating.
- Stay claim-free and save – Insurance companies in Virginia provide better rates to policyholders who file claims infrequently. If you tend to file frequent claims, you can look forward to increased rates or even have your policy non-renewed. Your car insurance is intended to be relied upon for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Discounts for cheap car insurance rates
Companies offering auto insurance don’t necessarily list all their discounts in an easy-to-find place, so the list below gives a summary of both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious savings tricks you should be using when you .
- Life Insurance – Larger companies have a small discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
- Active Service Discounts – Being on active deployment in the military could qualify you for better rates.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Putting insurance coverage on a new car can get you a discount because newer models are generally safer.
- Driver’s Ed – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers take driver’s ed class as it can save substantially.
- Defensive Driver – Successfully completing a course teaching defensive driving skills can save you 5% or more depending on where you live.
- Passive Restraints and Air Bags – Vehicles equipped with air bags or automatic seat belts may qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Federal Employees – Active or former government employment may qualify for a discount when you with a few car insurance companies.
Just know that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So even though they make it sound like you can get free auto insurance, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
If you would like to view providers that offer many of these discounts in Virginia, click here to view.
Car insurance quotes from neighborhood Lexington auto insurance agents
A small number of people would rather talk to an insurance agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases A good thing about comparing rates online is that drivers can save money and get cheap rate quotes and still have a local agent. Supporting local insurance agents is still important in Lexington.
By using this simple form, your insurance coverage information is submitted to agents in your area who can give free rate quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to leave your house because quoted prices will be sent straight to your inbox. You can find lower rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you want to compare prices from one company in particular, feel free to go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
Listed below are agents in Lexington who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Metro Insurance – 178 Walker St, Lexington, VA 24450 – (540) 463-4900
- Wilhelm Insurance – 106 S Jefferson St, Lexington, VA 24450 – (540) 463-6575
- State Farm Insurance – 108 E Midland Trl # 130, Lexington, VA 24450 – (540) 463-3812
If you want to pick from insurance agencies in your area, link to this full listing of Lexington insurance agents.
Selecting an provider requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. Get answers to these questions too.
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- How long has their agency been in business in Lexington?
- Do they offer accident forgiveness?
- How are they compensated?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
Can you really save if you switch?
Companies like GEICO, State Farm and Progressive seem to constantly run ads in print and on television. All the companies make the point that you’ll save big if you change your policy. How is it plausible that every one can charge you less for auto insurance? Here is how they do it.
Many companies look for specific characteristics for a prospective insured that will generate a profit. An example of a profitable risk profile could be over the age of 35, has a low-risk occupation, and has a high credit rating. Someone that fits those parameters receive the lowest rate quotes as well as save a lot of money.
Potential customers who don’t meet the ideal profile will be quoted more expensive rates which usually ends up with the customer not purchasing. If you pay attention, the ads say “customers who switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that kind of money. That’s the way insurance companies can confidently lure you into getting a quote.
This really emphasizes why drivers should quote coverage with many companies. It is impossible to predict which company will have the best prices.
For more Virginia car insurance information
Additional car insurance information can be found on the located here. Consumers can discover disciplinary actions, download brochures, and read state legal mandates and laws.
The following articles may also be useful.
- Secret Methods for Buying Lexington South Carolina Auto Insurance at a Discount
- How to Get the Best Price from Lexington Car Insurance Agencies
- Learn How to Cut Costs on Lexington, SC Auto Insurance
Cheaper car insurance is a realistic goal
As you restructure your insurance plan, it’s very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits only to find out that it was a big mistake. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Cheaper car insurance is available from both online companies in addition to many Lexington insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best rate selection. Some car insurance companies may not provide online quoting and these small insurance companies only sell coverage through local independent agencies.
Insureds change insurance companies for a variety of reasons including questionable increases in premium, policy cancellation, high prices and high rates after DUI convictions. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new insurance company is pretty easy and you might even save some money in the process.