Nobody I know looks forward to buying car insurance, especially when they are aware that the price is too high. There is such a variety of auto insurance companies to choose from, and although it’s a good thing to have multiple companies, having more car insurance companies makes it harder to compare rates.
The purpose of this article is to familiarize you with the best way to quote coverages. If you are paying for car insurance now, you will be able to save some money using these techniques. Although Georgia vehicle owners need to learn how big insurance companies compete online and apply this information to your search.
The method we recommend to compare rates takes advantage of the fact most larger insurance companies participate in online systems to provide you with a free rate quote. The only thing you need to do is provide a small amount of information including how old drivers are, distance driven, if you require a SR-22, and if it has an anti-theft system. Those rating factors is submitted instantly to insurance carriers in your area and they return rate quotes within a short period of time.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here then complete the form.
Is there truth in advertising?
Car insurance providers like Progressive, Allstate and GEICO consistently run ads in print and on television. They all seem to advertise the message about saving some big amount if you change your policy. How can each company charge less that you’re paying now? Just pay attention to how they say it.
Car insurance companies give the cheapest rates for the type of customer that will be a good risk. A good example of this type of driver might be between the ages of 30 and 50, has a clear driving record, and does not commute to work. Anybody that matches those criteria receive the lowest rate quotes and most likely will save if they switch.
Drivers who don’t measure up to the “perfect” profile may be required to pay higher rates which leads to the customer buying from a different company. The ads say “people that switch” not “everyone that quotes” save that much money. This is how companies can truthfully make those statements.
Different companies use different criteria so you should do a price quote comparison at every renewal. It is impossible to guess which insurance companies will have the best rates for your profile.
Make wise decisions and cut your costs
A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing some of the things that are used to determine the rates you pay for car insurance. When you know what positively or negatively determines premiums, this allows you to make educated decisions that will entitle you to better car insurance rates.
- lapses raise premiums – Letting your insurance expire is a guaranteed way to drive up your policy premiums. In addition to paying higher premiums, being ticketed for driving with no insurance will get you fines or a revoked license. You may then be required to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Georgia DMV.
- Lower stress equals lower premiums – Careers like military generalspolice officers and emergency personnel are shown to have higher premiums than the average policyholder in part from job stress and lots of time spent away from family. On the other hand, careers like scientists, historians and homemakers get better rates.
- Rates increase with policy add-ons – There are quite a few add-on coverages that sound like a good idea at the time when buying car insurance. Things like roadside assistance, death and dismemberment, and additional equipment coverage are probably not needed. They may seem like a good idea at first, but your money might be better spent on other coverage so get rid of them and save.
- Premiums drop with age – Inexperience drivers are proven to be inattentive and easily distracted with other occupants in the car therefore car insurance rates are much higher. If you’ve ever had to add a youthful driver onto your car insurance can increase premiums substantially. Older drivers tend to be more responsible, are lower risk to insure and are safer drivers.
Car insurance discounts are available to cut your rates
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but there could be available discounts to reduce the price significantly. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically when you complete an application, but less common discounts must be asked for before being credited.
- Onboard Data Collection – Policyholders that allow their car insurance company to monitor when and where they use their vehicle by installing a telematics device like Drivewise from Allstate or In-Drive from State Farm may get a rate reduction if they exhibit good driving behavior.
- Senior Citizen Rates – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens may be able to get better car insurance rates.
- Good Students Pay Less – Getting good grades can save 20 to 25%. You can use this discount normally up to age 25.
- First Accident Forgiveness – This one isn’t a discount, but a handful of insurance companies allow you one accident without raising rates with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Own a Home and Save – Simply owning a home can save a few bucks because of the fact that having a home is proof of financial responsibility.
While discounts sound great, it’s important to understand that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only cut individual premiums such as comprehensive or collision. Just because it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
If you would like to see a list of providers who offer discounts in Moultrie, click here.
Everyone needs different car insurance coverages
When choosing coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and your policy should reflect that. For example, these questions can help discover whether your personal situation would benefit from professional advice.
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Who is covered by my policy?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Georgia?
- Do I pay less if my vehicle is kept in my garage?
- What are the best liability limits?
- When should my teen driver be added to my policy?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to a licensed insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area.
Cheaper car insurance is a realistic goal
While you’re price shopping online, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There are a lot of situations where someone sacrificed comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that the savings was not a smart move. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find at an affordable rate while still protecting your assets.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of information how to shop for car insurance online. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get auto insurance rates for, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the lowest priced car insurance comes from some of the smallest insurance companies. These companies can often provide lower auto insurance rates in certain areas than the large multi-state companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
For more reading
Additional information can be read on the Georgia Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner website. Click here for link. Georgia drivers can view agent and company licensing information, read state legal mandates and laws, and get help finding coverage.