No sane person rejoices having to buy car insurance, in particular when their premiums are too high. Since you have so many companies and agents to choose from, it can be hard to locate the most cost effective insurer.
It’s a good idea to price shop coverage before your next renewal because prices fluctuate regularly. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price last year you can probably find a better rate now. Forget all the misinformation about car insurance because you’re going to get a crash course in the best methods to find lower rates on car insurance.
Decisions you make can impact your costs
Many different elements are used in the calculation when premium rates are determined. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, although some other factors are not as apparent such as your credit history or how financially stable you are.
- Vehicle theft costs us all – Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your car insurance. Theft deterrent systems like OnStar, LoJack tracking, and tamper alarms can thwart your car from being stolen.
- Insurance costs are higher for high performance vehicles – The performance level of the car, truck or SUV you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a big difference in the rate you pay. Lower performance four cylinder passenger cars normally have pretty low rates, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
- Male prices may be higher – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown that females take fewer risks when driving. The data does not necessarily mean that females are better at driving than males. Both genders have auto accidents at a similar rate, but the men tend to have higher claims. Men also statistically get ticketed for serious violations like DUI and reckless driving.
- Mature drivers are lower risk – Older drivers tend to be more responsible, file fewer claims , and usually have better credit.Beginning drivers are statistically proven to be easily distracted when driving with friends so car insurance rates are higher.
- Cautious drivers pay less – Your driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Just one speeding ticket or other violation can bump up the cost twenty percent or more. Drivers with clean records receive lower rates as compared to careless drivers. Drivers who have gotten severe tickets such as DWI, reckless driving or hit and run convictions may find that they have to to submit a SR-22 form with their state motor vehicle department in order to continue driving.
- Where you live plays a part – Living in small towns and rural areas can be a good thing when buying car insurance. Fewer people means less chance of accidents in addition to fewer liability claims. People who live in big cities regularly have much more traffic and longer commute times. The longer drive time translates into higher accident risk.
- Policy claims cost money – If you are a frequent claim filer, don’t be surprised to see either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Companies in New York provide most affordable rates to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. Your car insurance is intended to be relied upon for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
- Insure your auto and home with one company – Most larger car insurance companies apply better rates for people that purchase more than one policy. It’s known as a multi-policy discount. The amount of the discounts can be ten or even fifteen percent. Even though this discount sounds good, consumers should still compare other company rates to help ensure you have the lowest rates. You may still be able to find a better deal by insuring with multiple companies.
These discounts can lower your car insurance quotes
Companies that sell car insurance don’t always publicize their entire list of discounts very well, so below is a list a few of the more common as well as the least known credits available to you.
- 55 and Retired – Seniors may receive lower premium rates.
- Save with a New Car – Buying car insurance coverage on a new vehicle is cheaper because new vehicles keep occupants safer.
- Student in College – Kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Membership in Organizations – Having an affiliation with a professional or civic organization can get you a small discount on your next renewal.
- Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down could be rewarded with cheaper rates.
- E-sign – Certain larger companies give back up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up on their website.
- Claim-Free Discount – Ossining drivers who stay claim-free get the best car insurance rates when compared with drivers who are more careless.
As is typical with insurance, some of the credits will not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to individual premiums such as collision or personal injury protection. Just because you may think it’s possible to get free car insurance, you won’t be that lucky.
Insurance companies that may have some of the discounts shown above include:
If you want , ask every prospective company which credits you are entitled to. Some discounts may not apply to policies in Ossining. To find insurers who offer online car insurance quotes in Ossining, click this link.
Different people need different car insurance coverages
When buying the best car insurance coverage for your vehicles, there really is no single plan that fits everyone. Every insured’s situation is different so your insurance should reflect that These are some specific questions can aid in determining if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- If my vehicle is totaled, can I afford another vehicle?
- Should I buy only the required New York minimum liability coverage?
- Does my insurance cover my expensive audio equipment?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Does coverage extend to a rental car in a foreign country?
- How many claims can I have before being cancelled?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Online resources for education
More detailed New York car insurance information can be found at the New York Department of Financial Services website. New York consumers can learn about insurance regulations, find out which companies have the most complaints, find disaster information, and find out industry alerts.
Be persistent and save
We’ve covered many ideas to shop for car insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. Consumers may even find the lowest auto insurance rates come from an unexpected company. Smaller companies can often provide lower premium rates in certain areas compared to the large companies like State Farm and Allstate.
As you , you should never buy less coverage just to save a little money. In many cases, consumers will sacrifice uninsured motorist or liability limits only to regret that it was a big mistake. The goal is to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford, but do not skimp to save money.