Did a good deal turn into an expensive auto insurance policy? Believe me, there are many Port Arthur drivers thinking the same thing. Consumers have many car insurance companies to purchase coverage from, and although it’s a good thing to have multiple companies, it can be more difficult to find the best rates.
These discounts can cut auto insurance rates
Auto insurance companies don’t always advertise every discount very clearly, so here is a list both the well known as well as some of the hidden discounts that you may qualify for.
- Government Employee Discount – Active or retired federal employment can earn a discount up to 10% with a few auto insurance companies.
- Early Signing – Select larger companies give a discount for buying a new policy prior to your current policy expiring. It can save you around 10%.
- College Student Discount – Older children who live away from home to go to college and do not have a car may qualify for this discount.
- Safety Course Discount – Taking time to complete a defensive driver course could earn you a small percentage discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Theft Deterent Discount – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices have a lower chance of being stolen and will qualify for a discount on a .
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Factory air bags can qualify for discounts of more than 20%.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles with ABS and/or traction control are much safer to drive and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Low Miles Discount – Low mileage vehicles can qualify you for lower rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Membership in Organizations – Having an affiliation with qualifying employment or professional organizations could earn you a nice discount when getting a .
Don’t be shocked that some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as liability, collision or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like all those discounts means the company will pay you, company stockholders wouldn’t be very happy.
A list of companies and their offered discounts are shown below.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for driver training, anti-theft, good student, defensive driver, and bundle.
- American Family discounts include TimeAway discount, mySafetyValet, good student, multi-vehicle, and bundled insurance.
- Progressive offers discounts for homeowner, multi-vehicle, online signing, continuous coverage, and online quote discount.
- Travelers policyholders can earn discounts including multi-car, payment discounts, good student, early quote, driver training, continuous insurance, and multi-policy.
- Farmers Insurance may include discounts for electronic funds transfer, alternative fuel, teen driver, good student, youthful driver, homeowner, and multi-car.
- USAA offers premium reductions for multi-vehicle, safe driver, new vehicle, defensive driver, good student, and military installation.
- Liberty Mutual has discounts for teen driver discount, new graduate, good student, multi-policy, new move discount, and multi-car.
If you are trying to find , ask every insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. A few discounts may not be offered in Port Arthur. To choose insurers who offer free auto insurance quotes in Texas, click this link.
When do I need an agent’s advice?
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage, there isn’t really a “perfect” insurance plan. Every situation is different and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply. For instance, these questions may help you determine whether or not you may require specific advice.
- Am I covered when driving a rental car?
- When should I drop full coverage on my vehicle?
- Will my rates increase for filing one claim?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Are split liability limits better than a combined single limit?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Do I qualify for additional discounts?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply, you might consider talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Truth in auto insurance advertising
Popular auto insurance providers such as 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm continually stream ads on TV and radio. All the companies state the claim that drivers will save a bundle if you change your auto insurance policy to them. That’s great but how can every company charge you less for car insurance? This is the trick they use.
Companies quote the lowest rates for the driver that will be a good risk. For instance, a profitable insured may be over the age of 40, has never had a policy lapse, and has excellent credit. Anyone that hits that “sweet spot” will qualify for the lowest premium rates in Port Arthur and is almost guaranteed to pay quite a bit less when switching companies.
People who are not a match for these stringent criteria will see a more expensive rate and this results in the customer not purchasing. The ads say “customers that switch” not “everybody who quotes” save the amount stated. This is how insurance companies can make the claims of big savings. This really drives home the point why drivers should quotes from several different companies. Because you never know which auto insurance company will give you the biggest savings.
Additional reading for auto insurance information
More tips and info about auto insurance can be found at the Texas Department of Insurance website. Visitors are able to view a list of available companies, read state legal mandates and laws, read enforcement actions against agents and companies, and find disaster information.
And the best auto insurance company is…
Discount auto insurance is attainable from both online companies and also from your neighborhood Port Arthur agents, and you should compare price quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance companies may not provide online quoting and these smaller companies provide coverage only through independent insurance agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, you should never reduce coverage to reduce premium. There are many occasions where someone dropped full coverage and found out when filing a claim they didn’t have enough coverage. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost and still be able to protect your assets.